Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   TJ Stereo System Setup Recommendations (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/tj-stereo-system-setup-recommendations-268161.html)

pipps2 08-31-2013 11:06 AM

TJ Stereo System Setup Recommendations

I just got a 98 Sahara and its really fun but my current setup doesn't sound very loud when I'm on the road.

I need some recommendations for the system (I need an aux input for my iphone and I'd prefer Bluetooth or the satellite radio)

I also need recommendations for more speakers or replacements. I only hear speakers in the dash at the moment. I'd like to put speakers on top and under the back seats (or anywhere else).
I also wouldn't be opposed to a trunk setup.

I have a budget so I can't drop 2k on a sound system, the max I would like to spend is 1k. Preferably $250 on the head system and then $500 on the speakers.

The speakers have to be nice!

Please help me out with brand/model numbers so I can start working on the new 98 Sahara I bought.

Thanks!

ChasUGC 08-31-2013 11:38 AM

Do you have a sound bar? I upgraded my speakers, added a molded subwoofer, added a amp, EQ and a HU. With my setup, I am pushing 100watts RMS to the speakers and 500watts to the sub. I can't stand my stereo any louder than 2/3 volume, and I like my music loud. Here's my setup and cost assessment.

PERFORMANCE TEKNIQUE ICBM-SATLITE 7" Automobile Digital Panel TFT Touch Screen, In-Dash One Din, DVD/CD/MP3/MP4/WMA Player,AM/FM MPX Radio, Built-In GPS,USA/MEXICO/CANADA Maps Included, USB Port/SD Card Interface, AUX, BLUETOOTH, Car Steering, Dual Zone, CC LED Fully Motorized/Detachable Front Panel $289
MTX Audio Thunderform JWTJ97T20-T45 10" 4 ohms Loaded Vehicle Specific (Tan color, Loaded Subwoofer) $348
4-5.25" CDT Coaxial Speakers, 110wattsRMS $99/pair
PowerAcoustik GT5-2500, 2500W Max, 5-Channel Gothic Series Car Amp. $175
Clarion EQS746 7-Band Rotary Equalizer $49

Total cost not including installation=$1059(shipping was free because I picked it up)

I got everything but the HU-here (the molded subwoofer is awesome, specially designed for the Jeep Wrangler 97-06).

http://www.techronics.com/

ChasUGC 08-31-2013 11:48 AM

Here's a shot of my HU and EQ. Jeep Radios are 1-1/2 din radios, so I used a one din radio and I put a half din EQ in the extra space.
http://imageshack.us/a/img266/2457/3rn0.jpg

ChasUGC 08-31-2013 12:15 PM

MTX Audio Thunderform JWTJ97T20-T45
It's a down-firing molded subwoofer loaded with 2-10" MTX subwoofers, unpowered.
It really vibrates the car, so you feel the bass.
http://www.techronics.com/images/products/12424.jpghttp://i.seimg.net/images/582263/big/jwtj97t20t45.jpg

freeskier 08-31-2013 12:20 PM

10 Attachment(s)
1k is kind of an insane budget for a Jeep. Our Wranglers have terrible acoustics, spending lots of money is just a waste IMO. Some decent speakers, an amp, and maybe a sub is all you need.

For the past couple years I've been running the Sony XM-4S and Infinity Kappas. With the 2 ohm Kappas the amp puts out 60 watts rms x 4. Front are 5.25 with the Nallin brackets and 6.5" in the sound bar. I would suggest components for the front with the nallin tweeter brackets. In the stock location the tweeter highs are very muffled.

Amp is mounted under the dash, to the steering column.

I don't run a sub, don't personally feel I need one and don't want to sacrifice the space.

As for head unit I just have a cheap Kenwood with pre amp outputs, HD radio, and USB input for my phone.

sduncan 08-31-2013 01:43 PM

I did a JVC Bluetooth in the dash, a set of Blaupunkt 6.5s in the dash, another set in the soundbar, and an 8in 100w Bazooka tube in the trunk area. sounds decent and didn't cost a fortune.

I do like the MTX enclosure though..Hmmmm..the Gen Right Soundgarden and the MTX enclosure....hmmmmmm....just thinking outloud....

pipps2 08-31-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChasUGC (Post 4168433)
Do you have a sound bar? I upgraded my speakers, added a molded subwoofer, added a amp, EQ and a HU. With my setup, I am pushing 100watts RMS to the speakers and 500watts to the sub. I can't stand my stereo any louder than 2/3 volume, and I like my music loud. Here's my setup and cost assessment.

PERFORMANCE TEKNIQUE ICBM-SATLITE 7" Automobile Digital Panel TFT Touch Screen, In-Dash One Din, DVD/CD/MP3/MP4/WMA Player,AM/FM MPX Radio, Built-In GPS,USA/MEXICO/CANADA Maps Included, USB Port/SD Card Interface, AUX, BLUETOOTH, Car Steering, Dual Zone, CC LED Fully Motorized/Detachable Front Panel $289
MTX Audio Thunderform JWTJ97T20-T45 10" 4 ohms Loaded Vehicle Specific (Tan color, Loaded Subwoofer) $348
4-5.25" CDT Coaxial Speakers, 110wattsRMS $99/pair
PowerAcoustik GT5-2500, 2500W Max, 5-Channel Gothic Series Car Amp. $175
Clarion EQS746 7-Band Rotary Equalizer $49

Total cost not including installation=$1059(shipping was free because I picked it up)

I got everything but the HU-here (the molded subwoofer is awesome, specially designed for the Jeep Wrangler 97-06).

http://www.techronics.com/

How much would your setup cost without the screen? I don't need the screen

ChasUGC 08-31-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pipps2 (Post 4170801)
How much would your setup cost without the screen? I don't need the screen

You can always get a different head unit. A good HU is key to a good sound system.
The screen is part of my head unit. It retracts when you don't want it. It's mainly needed for GPS, DVD video, Bluetooth monitoring, and the SD card. I find it very useful for radio favorites too, and the touch screen is awesome. You can add a different head unit if you don't like the 7" flip touch screen, but i think its really cool advanced technology. I don't like really cheap stuff in my Jeep. Cheap normally means cheap quality, and I prefer great quality at a fair price.
I think $300 dollars is a fair price for a great HU. You can get the cheap $80 stereo but don't expect to end up with a great sound system. I'm an audiophile and a good sound system is important to me, much like a good lift is to an Off-Road enthusiast.

You can pay $1000 dollars for some heat units, that don't have half the options that mine does at a fraction of the price.

The best thing to do is to shop and google. This is how I found my components. You have to find the price that works for you and the options you want in your system. Research is key.

pipps2 08-31-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChasUGC (Post 4171841)
You can always get a different head unit. A good HU is key to a good sound system.
The screen is part of my head unit. It retracts when you don't want it. It's mainly needed for GPS, DVD video, Bluetooth monitoring, and the SD card. I find it very useful for radio favorites too, and the touch screen is awesome. You can add a different head unit if you don't like the 7" flip touch screen, but i think its really cool advanced technology. I don't like really cheap stuff in my Jeep. Cheap normally means cheap quality, and I prefer great quality at a fair price.
I think $300 dollars is a fair price for a great HU. You can get the cheap $80 stereo but don't expect to end up with a great sound system. I'm an audiophile and a good sound system is important to me, much like a good lift is to an Off-Road enthusiast.

You can pay $1000 dollars for some heat units, that don't have half the options that mine does at a fraction of the price.

The best thing to do is to shop and google. This is how I found my components. You have to find the price that works for you and the options you want in your system. Research is key.

Yeah I'm going to shop and compare for your setup. What is the model number for your 7" screen? ICBM-9774? I just want to do some research. It looks pretty sweet.

Addition: Also I think your subwoofers are discontinued. Do these match your specs and would work with my 98 sahara? http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...an-Loaded.html

pipps2 08-31-2013 03:44 PM

For the subwoofer is this the right item with the same quality? : MTX ThunderForm Jeep Wrangler TJ Custom Subwoofer Box | eBay

ChasUGC 08-31-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pipps2 (Post 4172121)
Yeah I'm going to shop and compare for your setup. What is the model number for your 7" screen? ICBM-9774? I just want to do some research. It looks pretty sweet.

Addition: Also I think your subwoofers are discontinued. Do these match your specs and would work with my 98 sahara? MTX JWTJ97T20-TN (jwtj97t20tn) Jeep Wrangler TJ 1997-2006, 2 10"

The model number of my stereo is as above. ICBM-SATLITE. I think the lower models have numbers but mine is just letters. It has tons of options, and yes its really sweet, and fun. I wish I had time to just sit in the car and play with it.

The one you are looking at doesn't have bluetooth or GPS. If you have a bluetooth capable cell phone, you'll love the bluetooth option. It's a hands free system with a clear mic built into the head unit. And once you stop talking and hang up, the music starts playing again automatically. It's the same for the GPS. If a voice comes on to give your voice directions, the music automatically pauses, and seamlessly resumes after the voice. I'm thinking about getting the plugin for the backup camera too. It would be cool to see the back of my car through the 7" video screen.

The sub is the same, as your link. They come in gray, black and tan. I would get the one to match your interior. Just because it was discontinued in stock, doesn't mean the company can't get it for you, and, at a discounted price under the retail. I think the site says its for Jeep Wrangler TJ 1997-2006. So yeah, if you have a 1998 Wrangler TJ, it will work.
But, you'll need an amp because its not powered.

ChasUGC 08-31-2013 06:13 PM

A word to the wise. If you order electronics online, and the box is damaged, send it back. Likely the unit will be damaged too, and it might just stop working after a month, if it works properly at all.

ChasUGC 08-31-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pipps2 (Post 4172705)
For the subwoofer is this the right item with the same quality? : MTX ThunderForm Jeep Wrangler TJ Custom Subwoofer Box | eBay

It seems like its the same one, but I'm suspicious when the speakers are listed as max power instead of RMS. MAX power is a big useless number, that really doesn't mean squat in regards to continuous play ability. But, they seem to be the same 10" MTX speakers, just listed as 300 max watts each, or 600 max watts total, or 400 watts RMS total, since they run together off one channel.

pipps2 08-31-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChasUGC (Post 4175873)

It seems like its the same one, but I'm suspicious when the speakers are listed as max power instead of RMS. MAX power is a big useless number, that really doesn't mean squat in regards to continuous play ability. But, they seem to be the same 10" MTX speakers, just listed as 300 max watts each, or 600 max watts total, or 400 watts RMS total, since they run together off one channel.

Should I buy the one on the eBay listing? I don't want a dud of a subwoofer

Also I can't find the ICBM-Satlite model I looked around and there are none under that name. Can you give me the link ? Thanks

Offroad1 08-31-2013 09:00 PM

If you plan to run a soft top don't spend more than $500 to $600. As was said, the acoustics suck. Plus, provided you put the top down, things will get wet. Also, any stereo bling will be eye candy for thieves!

pipps2 08-31-2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Offroad1 (Post 4179489)
If you plan to run a soft top don't spend more than $500 to $600. As was said, the acoustics suck. Plus, provided you put the top down, things will get wet. Also, any stereo bling will be eye candy for thieves!

Yeah I'm running a soft top but I live in the suburbs. I just need a system where the audio is crisp and I get Bluetooth

ChasUGC 08-31-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Offroad1 (Post 4179489)

The ICBM-Satlite looks totally dead with the face removed. It has a removable face. I would never buy a radio without a removable face. I have yet to see a thief steal a faceless radio. It is very hard to get the face, and the drug users that steal radio's, want quick money. A radio without the face is useless.

I did have a work colleague tell me that he had a great radio with a removable face plate and it was fine, as long as he removed it. But, one day, he left the face on it, and the next day it was stolen.

Here's the link on Amazon to the ICBM-SATLITE. Like I said, be careful ordering electronics online. If the box is damaged, send it back. I would search for a local seller. This way if it doesn't work right, you can immediately exchange it. Your only recourse online, is to not to open and install it, if the box is damaged, and send it back. Even without a damaged box, you don't know how the unit was treated during shipping, or by the seller.

Amazon is pretty good though. I ordered a printer from them, and the box was huge, and not a scratch on it. My printer has worked flawlessly.

I ordered a set of computer speakers, not through Amazon, and the box was destroyed. I immediately contacted the seller who asked for pictures, and they gave me a full refund, and told me to keep the speakers. They filed a successful claim with the carrier. But, I have had no problem with the speakers. I just don't accept electronics online with damaged boxes, ever.

Amazon.com : PERFORMANCE TEKNIQUE ICBM-SATLITE 7" Automobile Digital Panel TFT Touch Screen, In-Dash One Din, DVD/CD/MP3/MP4/WMA Player, AM/FM MPX Radio, Built-In GPS, USA/MEXICO/CANADA Maps Included, USB Port/SD Card Interface, AUX, BLUETOOTH, Car S

BruteOutdoors 08-31-2013 10:44 PM

I actually just went through this myself when I bought my Jeep two months ago and put the finishing touches on my system today.

I replaced my head unit with a JVC Bluetooth receiver ($100), bought some Polk 5.25“ components up front ($100 plus $20 for adapters and made the tweeter brackets myself), put 6.5“ Polk speakers in the sound bar ($50) and then installed a Sound Ordnance powered subwoofer ($80 on Craigslist plus $30 for the wiring kit). In total, I'm out $400 and an very happy with it.

ChasUGC 08-31-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruteOutdoors (Post 4181665)
I actually just went through this myself when I bought my Jeep two months ago and put the finishing touches on my system today.

I replaced my head unit with a JVC Bluetooth receiver ($100), bought some Polk 5.25“ components up front ($100 plus $20 for adapters and made the tweeter brackets myself), put 6.5“ Polk speakers in the sound bar ($50) and then installed a Sound Ordnance powered subwoofer ($80 on Craigslist plus $30 for the wiring kit). In total, I'm out $400 and an very happy with it.

If you are happy with it, that is all that matters.:punk:

BruteOutdoors 08-31-2013 10:56 PM

I'm trying to save money for bumpers, a roof rack, etc. so I'm conserving money as to ensure my wife doesn't get pissed when she sees the credit card bill

ChasUGC 09-01-2013 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeskier (Post 4169265)
1k is kind of an insane budget for a Jeep. Our Wranglers have terrible acoustics, spending lots of money is just a waste IMO. Some decent speakers, an amp, and maybe a sub is all you need.

For the past couple years I've been running the Sony XM-4S and Infinity Kappas. With the 2 ohm Kappas the amp puts out 60 watts rms x 4. Front are 5.25 with the Nallin brackets and 6.5" in the sound bar. I would suggest components for the front with the nallin tweeter brackets. In the stock location the tweeter highs are very muffled.

I don't run a sub, don't personally feel I need one and don't want to sacrifice the space.

As for head unit I just have a cheap Kenwood with pre amp outputs, HD radio, and USB input for my phone.

We all have our different preferences and stuff when it comes to audio equipment. I know that with open vehicles you need higher volumes. I have tried the Kappas, and I hated them. I blew them out. They have low RMS, so any powerful amp, which I prefer in an open vehicle, will have problems. I also didn't like the tweeters. They sounded horrible to me, because they have no cross-overs. This is the main complaint about the Infinity Kappa Speakers. The Tweeters aren't focused, trying to interpret all frequencies, and they don't sound crisp. I know because I had them.

I use to feel the way that you do when it comes to subwoofers too. But, now that I have one, especially this one, it is like night and day. I listen to rock, pop, heavy metal and Hip Hop. I hear other stereo's without a subwoofer, and I think,"Wow, they just don't know". With a sub, It's like hearing music in a theatre. All my friends are amazed at my system. They continually want to bring their own music into my car, and then they say, "this is the way it is suppose to sound."

I didn't mount my amp under the dash because they get hot and need to breathe.

The rest is dependent on your budget. Some people spend $5000.00 or more on a sound system. Some of them have open vehicles or convertibles.
I know that I don't have to spend $5000.00 dollars to get my system to sound like a $5000.00 dollar system, and I think mine does.

I disagree that Wranglers have terrible acoustics. They are just like any other open vehicle. I have tried different size speakers in the sound bars and in the front. Maybe this is the reason you say terrible acoustics. But, if you put the same size speakers in the front and in the rear, you hear a different acoustical environment. I recognized this with my last upgrade setup. But, since I put 5.25 all around, I have a perfectly balanced acoustical environment, that with a sub, sounds like 4.1 surround sound.
No more do I hear one set over powering another set. Or, tweeters being pushed harder in one set, and more bass in another set.

The music just floats all around me. No more louder front speakers, or back speakers. It's amazing, you really should hear it, and I think you would agree that Wranglers don't have terrible acoustics, its all in our preferences of sound that we want in our vehicles, and the budget we want to spend.

GRUMPHF 09-01-2013 12:29 AM

I went with all Polk Audio speakers...6 1/2 in the sound bar pods, 5 1/4 in some Nalin adapters in the dash and 4" in the a-pillar. Powering it with a $100 Clarion XC1410 4-channel amp that I have hidden away off a JVC headunit that I don't really like, but it works and I don't need bling in the Jeep. Next up will be my sub once I finish my fiberglass box and an amp to that, and I'll be done. Should have right around $600 in the system once I'm done.

freeskier 09-01-2013 12:54 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChasUGC (Post 4183025)
We all have our different preferences and stuff when it comes to audio equipment. I know that with open vehicles you need higher volumes. I have tried the Kappas, and I hated them. I blew them out. They have low RMS, so any powerful amp, which I prefer in an open vehicle, will have problems. I also didn't like the tweeters. They sounded horrible to me, because they have no cross-overs. This is the main complaint about the Infinity Kappa Speakers. The Tweeters aren't focused, trying to interpret all frequencies, and they don't sound crisp. I know because I had them.

That's your fault for pairing the wrong amp with those speakers. The 5.25 Kappas are rated at 55w RMS and the amp is 60w RMS x 4. Perfect IMO.

I have no idea where you're getting that they don't have crossovers. That's absurd. They do. I've never heard anyone complain about not having crisp highs with the Kappas, in fact the exact opposite. Most people seem to think Infinity speakers are too bright.

Quote:

I use to feel the way that you do when it comes to subwoofers too. But, now that I have one, especially this one, it is like night and day. I listen to rock, pop, heavy metal and Hip Hop. I hear other stereo's without a subwoofer, and I think,"Wow, they just don't know". With a sub, It's like hearing music in a theatre. All my friends are amazed at my system. They continually want to bring their own music into my car, and then they say, "this is the way it is suppose to sound."
I wasn't born yesterday, I know what it's like listening to music with good bass. Like I said, for me it's not worth the sacrifice in space.

Quote:

I didn't mount my amp under the dash because they get hot and need to breathe.
Under the dash is a popular mounting place, haven't seen anyone yet whose had an issue. Plus my amp has a built in cooling fan and doesn't have any issues.

Quote:

The rest is dependent on your budget. Some people spend $5000.00 or more on a sound system. Some of them have open vehicles or convertibles.
I know that I don't have to spend $5000.00 dollars to get my system to sound like a $5000.00 dollar system, and I think mine does.

I disagree that Wranglers have terrible acoustics. They are just like any other open vehicle. I have tried different size speakers in the sound bars and in the front. Maybe this is the reason you say terrible acoustics. But, if you put the same size speakers in the front and in the rear, you hear a different acoustical environment. I recognized this with my last upgrade setup. But, since I put 5.25 all around, I have a perfectly balanced acoustical environment, that with a sub, sounds like 4.1 surround sound.
No more do I hear one set over powering another set. Or, tweeters being pushed harder in one set, and more bass in another set.
I do admit I wish I had gone with 5.25 all around for better balance. But regardless a Wrangler still has terrible acoustics. The sound bar placement is just terrible, having speakers so close to your head AND behind you just makes for a bad sound stage. Then you have the dash speakers that are buried in there and pointing down. This is why I wish I had gone with components to get the tweeters out of the dash. There's also the flat windshield that just reflects highs right back at you.

Add a soft top to the mix and tire drone you get cancelation at certain frequencies. If you don't have carpet you adding even more reflection.

Quote:

The music just floats all around me. No more louder front speakers, or back speakers. It's amazing, you really should hear it, and I think you would agree that Wranglers don't have terrible acoustics, its all in our preferences of sound that we want in our vehicles, and the budget we want to spend.
My sound system works for me. My only criteria was to be loud enough to hear with doors/top off, and not distort. It does that and sounds pretty darn good.

vertical horizons 09-01-2013 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChasUGC (Post 4168577)
Here's a shot of my HU and EQ. Jeep Radios are 1-1/2 din radios, so I used a one din radio and I put a half din EQ in the extra space.
http://imageshack.us/a/img266/2457/3rn0.jpg

That looks like a nice setup.

If your Jeep doesn't have AC, no problem. But if it does, does the cold air blowing against the back of that screen for long periods of time hurt the unit?

I like the 7" screen, but because of the location of the AC vents, I like this stereo, too.

vertical horizons 09-01-2013 02:12 AM

Although this one is only a 3.6" screen.

When I go to the Drive In, I get there when the gates open, which is usually 2 hours before the 1st show starts. I do this because I want to get a good parking spot. (It's the ONLY Drive In around these parts).

For the times where I am parked, with nothing to do for 2 hours, but wait for the movies to start, I can see myself just kicking back, watching a DVD movie, instead of just sitting on my butt, and just looking around.

vertical horizons 09-01-2013 02:38 AM

-

Whaler 09-01-2013 08:08 AM

Don't make the mistake of assuming the suburbs equates to low risk of theft...

I live near Eugene, Oregon, a smallish town in a very rural state. We have several cars stolen every day, and the number of "car clout" smash-and-grab thefts runs into the hundreds per month. If your local police agency doesn't post crime data on their website you might want to touch base with you car insurance guy or a local auto-glass shop. In Oregon, a nice stereo in a soft-top Jeep has a VERY low life expectancy... (Of course, our crime rate is terrible, because our legislature is pro-welfare and anti-law enforcement. Your experience may vary.)

My solution was to keep the factory head unit (not worth stealing) and install a behind the HU amp. (Several amps are designed for that placement and work well.) I like the Kappas too, and they're very efficient, so it takes little power to run them. I have an 8" sub in my Tuffy locking sub-console. The Jeep looks 100% stock, sounds 300% better, and the total investment was less than $600.

I love my music, so we put much better stuff in our other, more secure, more acoustically sound vehicles, but this is a very good compromise for a noisy open jeep.

ArthurTJ04 09-01-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeskier (Post 4169265)

On my 04 Tj I have no sub or amp. just the pioneer radio and speakers.
Do you believe by putting just an amp I will get a good sound. I am not a fan of crazy loud music I just one to sound nice and be able to hear it.
Thanks

ChasUGC 09-01-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vertical horizons (Post 4183873)
That looks like a nice setup.

If your Jeep doesn't have AC, no problem. But if it does, does the cold air blowing against the back of that screen for long periods of time hurt the unit?

I like the 7" screen, but because of the location of the AC vents, I like this stereo, too.

The screen comes down with one touch of a button, and the stereo still runs with the screen down, using the front radio display. I usually don't drive with the screen up. It is dangerous to watch video while driving.
I do use the screen for the GPS navigation. Yes, it does partially block the front vents when extended, but I still get air from the driver side vent, and passenger vents which I better direct when I have the screen extended.

So, it is kind of the best of Both Worlds. The front display works like a radio that doesn't have a touch screen. You can control most things from the knob, like volume, bass, treble, fadar, sub level, etc. You can switch radio stations from the front display too.

If you get a telephone call on Bluetooth, the screen will go up automatically, and allow you to answer the call with one touch of a button.
Then, after the call finishes, the screen will automatically go back down, and the music will resume. A lot of other flip screens don't work this way.
The screen also automatically retracts when the vehicle is shut off, and if you were last using it with the screen down, it remembers that setting too.

You can tap the power button to bring the screen down at any time. If you hold the power button for 1-2 seconds then, the screen comes down and the entire unit shuts off. If you then take the face plate off, it still remembers the last setting that you used, whether the radio was off, or the screen was down.

Sometimes, I get annoyed because this radio seems smarter than me. For example, I will put the face plate on, and sit there waiting for the music to turn on. Then, I remember that it won't turn on automatically because I last had the radio turned off.

This is a wonderful car stereo. I can honestly say that it is the best car stereo that I have ever had in my life. If I had time, I could just sit there and play with all the options. There must be at least 20-30 option screens.

This stereo will even let you know your car speed, it will signal you or talks when you are going beyond the speed limit, and it will signal you when there is a radar in your area! Those options can be annoying though, so I just turn them off most of the time. But, it is your choice which options you want turned on or off.

ChasUGC 09-01-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeskier (Post 4183785)
That's your fault for pairing the wrong amp with those speakers. The 5.25 Kappas are rated at 55w RMS and the amp is 60w RMS x 4. Perfect IMO.

Not entirely correct. The "professional" dealer who sold me the speakers and the amp, knew that I was going to use those speakers with my amp.
They mistakenly sold me inferior speakers for my amp. They accepted the partial responsibility and allowed me to upgrade my unblown speakers for free. I paid for the blown set. In this world its great when your dealer is fair. Not much is fair in this world. I will always deal with Techronics for this reason.

Quote:

I have no idea where you're getting that they don't have crossovers. That's absurd. They do. I've never heard anyone complain about not having crisp highs with the Kappas, in fact the exact opposite. Most people seem to think Infinity speakers are too bright.

The Infinity Kappa's, at least the 4x6 and 5.25 speakers that I had, used passive crossover components, basically meaning that the speaker itself tries to filter out unwanted frequencies. This is why they are unbalanced or "too bright". They aren't doing the job very well. And yes, everyone complains about this problem with the Infinity Kappa Speakers. They can't be a balanced speaker if one component is "too bright".

Compare this with a direct crossover, instituted before the tweeter receives any frequencies. This is what the California based CDT model uses. The CDT speaker, therefore, is much better balanced, and not "too bright".

Quote:

I wasn't born yesterday, I know what it's like listening to music with good bass. Like I said, for me it's not worth the sacrifice in space.

I am not trying to offend, we are just having a friendly discussion.
I initially felt the same way that you do. This is why I didn't order the Mopar trunk subwoofer box when I brought my Jeep. Instead, I ordered the insta-trunk lid. Then, I realized that the trunk was so small in a Jeep, I can't really put much in it anyway. I can't use it for groceries. So, I decided to sacrifice that little space for better bass. If, as you said, you know how much better the music sounds with good bass, it was a very small sacrifice, with great benefits for the music sound. As an audiophile, I was willing to make that small sacrifice.

Quote:

Under the dash is a popular mounting place, haven't seen anyone yet whose had an issue. Plus my amp has a built in cooling fan and doesn't have any issues.

Location is just preference, and the real beneficial component, I think you will admit, is the built in cooling fan. Many amps just use "passive" cooling, and the fan, direct cooling, I admit too, is a much better way to go.

I don't think it is best to have a passive cooled amp, installed under the dash. I think it is better to install such an amp in a place where it can better, get the benefits of the car's AC, and cabin environment, especially on a hot day. Passively cooled amps can get extremely hot, and I wouldn't want one, in my dash with all my instrument wiring and components. But, this is just preference.

Quote:

I do admit I wish I had gone with 5.25 all around for better balance. But regardless a Wrangler still has terrible acoustics. The sound bar placement is just terrible, having speakers so close to your head AND behind you just makes for a bad sound stage. Then you have the dash speakers that are buried in there and pointing down. This is why I wish I had gone with components to get the tweeters out of the dash. There's also the flat windshield that just reflects highs right back at you.

I have no problem getting the tweeter sound out of my dash. This is why I have a good EQ. A good EQ is crucial to any good sound system. You can't blame this on speaker location. Then, I also have 5.25 all around for better balanced sound which you admit is better. If you use an unbalanced set of speakers, how can you expect good balanced sound? The Infinity Kappa's, themselves, are not balanced speakers, you admitted that yourself too. Then, you add different size speakers to compound the problem. You can't blame all these problems you created on bad acoustics or speaker location. The problems were clearly caused by your choice of speakers and no EQ.

I am sure that Chrysler tested different locations for the speakers. I am also sure that they choose the best balanced location. They didn't put the front speakers in the door, facing at your seat bottom, or the front kick panel, facing at your feet. They put them in the dash, facing right at you. This is a much better location than other vehicles with the front speakers in the door or in the kick panels.

Chrysler also didn't place the back speakers, all the way behind the back seat. They built a special soundbar and put them almost equal distance from the front speakers. I think this is optimum location.

Quote:

My sound system works for me. My only criteria was to be loud enough to hear with doors/top off, and not distort. It does that and sounds pretty darn good.

That is great. In the end, it is all that really matters. That being, it works for you. I just hope you can accept that, just because it works for you, doesn't mean that it should work for me, or everyone else.

I think you can see, and you have admitted, that there are things you can do to really improve your Jeep sound system. You really shouldn't blame the Jeep, for those problems. Jeeps are great vehicles and a lot of care went into their design. If you fix those things, like I did, and come back, I think you will say that your Jeep sound system sounds great. Just like I do now and everyone else who hears my Jeep Sound system. A lot of love goes into my Jeep, as most Jeep lovers can understand.