Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off Road and External Lighting (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f132/)
-   -   JW speakers or Trucklites? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f132/jw-speakers-or-trucklites-270545.html)

Rubicon_Steve 09-01-2013 04:49 PM

JW speakers or Trucklites?

Hey guys, I'm relatively new to the forum and have enjoyed educating myself through all of these posts. I just bought a JKUR and I'm thinking of upgrading the stock lights.

Are the JW speakers worth the premium in price over the Trucklites or is there another option worth looking into?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

narphenal 09-01-2013 04:55 PM

Although I am heavily biased, I prefer the Speakers if only for the look, but I've never seen the trucklites in person. It is amazing how much wider and brighter the headlights are versus stock.

Here's a good read on the subject...
http://www.jkowners.com/tech/lights/

Rubicon_Steve 09-01-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by narphenal (Post 4197081)
Although I am heavily biased, I prefer the Speakers if only for the look, but I've never seen the trucklites in person. It is amazing how much wider and brighter the headlights are versus stock.

Here's a good read on the subject...
http://www.jkowners.com/tech/lights/

Good stuff! Thanks for the info.

narphenal 09-01-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubicon_Steve (Post 4198617)
Good stuff! Thanks for the info.

No problem.

Diablo710 09-01-2013 06:53 PM

I ordered my HiDs from http://www.hidprojectors.com/. Just waiting for them to come in.

_3m 09-01-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diablo710 (Post 4199369)
I ordered my HiDs from http://www.hidprojectors.com/. Just waiting for them to come in.

What set did you order? I'm on the fence with a set of these.

UgaTyler 09-01-2013 07:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I Like the J.W. Speaker lights but I haven't been in a Jeep with the truklites on. I have seen them in person and have seen them on in person outside of a jeep. They seem bright but they don't look as good in my opinion. I think some people don't like the fact that trucklites give of a #sign look sometimes. Click Here if you want to see a recent post about trucklites and the # sign it gives off sometimes.

Overall both are a huge upgrade from your original stock lights and you have to decide if the looks of the JW Speakers are worth the extra $300. I get a ton of compliments on them and they are mega bright but sometimes I question whether I should've just gone with trucklites and put the extra cash somewhere else.

I'm sure you have seen tons of pics of both but here is a picture of mine from the front with no lights on.

narphenal 09-01-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UgaTyler (Post 4200497)
I get a ton of compliments on them and they are mega bright but sometimes I question whether I should've just gone with trucklites and put the extra cash somewhere else.

I'm sure you have seen tons of pics of both but here is a picture of mine from the front with no lights on.

I've been getting a lot of compliments as well, and night driving is so much more enjoyable.

http://oi44.tinypic.com/2vtb58o.jpg

Pattyballs 09-01-2013 07:56 PM

I just recently bought the truck-lites and love them. My only complaint is the fact there are two obvious "hot spots" that form two X like symbols. The # pattern is not very noticeable. If you are very picky, pick up the speakers. If you can live with those two patterns on the truck-lites, they are still 100 times better than stock and fairly affordable.

Rubicon_Steve 09-01-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UgaTyler (Post 4200497)
I Like the J.W. Speaker lights but I haven't been in a Jeep with the truklites on. I have seen them in person and have seen them on in person outside of a jeep. They seem bright but they don't look as good in my opinion. I think some people don't like the fact that trucklites give of a #sign look sometimes. Click Here if you want to see a recent post about trucklites and the # sign it gives off sometimes.

Overall both are a huge upgrade from your original stock lights and you have to decide if the looks of the JW Speakers are worth the extra $300. I get a ton of compliments on them and they are mega bright but sometimes I question whether I should've just gone with trucklites and put the extra cash somewhere else.

Off topic, but what bumper is that? Looks great!

UgaTyler 09-01-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubicon_Steve (Post 4203545)
Off topic, but what bumper is that? Looks great!

Thanks, Rugged Ridge XHD in steel. You can customize it because it comes in several different pieces.

donmeca2020 09-01-2013 10:16 PM

the speakers look better and i've read they work excellent and give great light output. however they are expensive as sin.

pepatrick 09-01-2013 10:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The TL guys like their TLs..and JW guys like their JWs. They are both excellent choices for head light replacements. TL are going to be less expensive but JWs can be had for under $700.00 for the pair now. Its not quite double the price like it used to be. I started out with JWs..went to HIDS but was not happy with them so I went back to the JWs and do not regret it at all. I also added the 6145 fogs and they really compliment the 8700s.

Deserteaglexxx 09-01-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepatrick (Post 4205177)
The TL guys like their TLs..and JW guys like their JWs. They are both excellent choices for head light replacements. TL are going to be less expensive but JWs can be had for under $700.00 for the pair now. Its not quite double the price like it used to be. I started out with JWs..went to HIDS but was not happy with them so I went back to the JWs and do not regret it at all. I also added the 6145 fogs and they really compliment the 8700s.

Can you message me where to get the JW's for under 700.

narphenal 09-01-2013 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deserteaglexxx (Post 4205505)

Check your PMs.

ben04 09-02-2013 02:18 AM

Quote:

I started out with JWs..went to HIDS but was not happy with them so I went back to the JWs and do not regret it at all.

What did you dislike about your HIDs?

Rubicon_Steve 09-02-2013 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deserteaglexxx (Post 4205505)

Can you PM me as well?

VaderJK12 09-02-2013 11:30 AM

Can you just post in this thread where the JWs can be bought for under $700?

Between the headlights and the fogs, you are looking at roughly $1k compared to roughly $425 for the Truck-Lite's with the harness/anti flicker, etc. The JWs are nice, I feel the extra cash for them could go towards other mods.

pepatrick 09-02-2013 11:57 AM

I paid 699.00 from discount fleet supply including a 5% coupon. It appears their price has recently gone up.

VaderJK12 09-02-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepatrick (Post 4215457)
I paid 699.00 from discount fleet supply including a 5% coupon. It appears their price has recently gone up.

Thanks. Looks like DFS added the JWs on the 5% off since I believe the coupon never worked with them before, just the TLs.

Lusus_Naturae 09-03-2013 12:48 AM

These guys beat DFS, unless they price match.

J.W. Speaker Model 8700 LED High/Low Beam 7" Round Headlight

$360 each = $720 pair, free shipping included

J.W. Speaker LED Headlight Conversion for 2007-12 Jeep Wrangler JK

$750 pair, free shipping - includes the h13 to h4 harness (not the better antiflicker harness though)

Personally, I'd save the $30 off the kit and use it towards a better harness.

narphenal 09-03-2013 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lusus_Naturae (Post 4236249)
These guys beat DFS, unless they price match.

J.W. Speaker Model 8700 LED High/Low Beam 7" Round Headlight

$360 each = $720 pair, free shipping included

J.W. Speaker LED Headlight Conversion for 2007-12 Jeep Wrangler JK

$750 pair, free shipping - includes the h13 to h4 harness (not the better antiflicker harness though)

Personally, I'd save the $30 off the kit and use it towards a better harness.

Using the correct discount codes, I paid $730~ shipped for both the Headlights and the Anti Flicker harness.

Austin_FL 09-03-2013 09:25 AM

What's the difference between the hid projectors vs speakers?

narphenal 09-03-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin_FL (Post 4242537)
What's the difference between the hid projectors vs speakers?

HIDs, or High Intensity Discharge is a method using gas to produce light, where as LEDs, or Light Emmiting Diodes, are just small diodes that emmit light when connected in a circuit, and require little power/are more efficient.

What this means for you:

HIDs are far brighter, but also have a short warmup period, where as LEDs are instant on for full intensity. HIDs can also produce some nasty glare, but also have a much better "focus" than LED headlamps.

Ultimately, for me, it comes down to product vs product, rather than HIDs vs LEDs in general.

HK_Runner 09-03-2013 02:30 PM

The pics all looked good, so I figured I'd go the cheaper route and buy the Truck Lites. I hated them. The beam pattern is splotchy and the two Xs are distracting. The foreground has too much light so it was reflective and annoying after 15 minutes of night driving. It is probably good offroad but I could not stand it on asphalt. I will go with the Speakers soon.

Branman 09-03-2013 03:19 PM

I'm in this same dilemma but I'm leaning toward the JWs I think. I'm not sure on truck lites but I love the fact that JW is lifetime warranty.

nitroz680 10-25-2013 12:40 PM

Yo everyone,

For the JW Speaker 8700 Evo's...Whats the difference between the 5 models?

specifically, what is the difference between ECE RHT w/ position vs. ECE LHT w/ position

thanks!

Northridge4x4 10-25-2013 01:06 PM

Trucklites and Jw's we will beat anybodys deals

David

nitroz680 10-25-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Another question, did you require any adapters or spacer rings for your install? Did you have to mod anything?

Thanks

justin-branam 10-25-2013 03:24 PM

I saved a few hundred bucks, went with the Trucklites, and love them. The only complaint I have is there is a slight "sguiggly" in the middle. Hard to explain but it is just a slightly brighter vertical squiggly that is sometimes noticeable. Much brighter than stock though. Somepeople do not like the extra light right in front of them because it makes your eyes adjust to that instead of farther out. I prefer that though. If I need more light farther out, I hit the brights and all is good!

Although LED light seems to show up better in photos,the following was taken with the exact same camera settings:

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...70925221_n.jpg