Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   4" lift, will I regret it? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/4-lift-will-i-regret-it-27056.html)

china-clipper 02-23-2009 10:46 PM

4" lift, will I regret it?

OK, I just picked up a '90 Wrangler with a straight six manual shift. Had it on my buddy's lift this weekend and found the rear shock mounts (upper) were rusted away. While is sat on the lift and we drank some beer I decided maybe a lift kit would be not so bad to do. Here's the deal, I live in Connecticut and hit the beaches alot. I'd like the lift for ground clearance and won't be doing any mudding or rock crawling. If I go with a 4" lift with the x-fer case lowering kit will I need to modify my driveshafts? Will it have vibration on the street? I'd really like the look of having 33's and the 4" lift. I'd like it to be streetable; would I be better off with a 2.5" kit? I'm a newbie here and could use some advice. Thanks in advance.

jdhallissey 02-23-2009 10:59 PM

so go 3.5 and a 1"bl. The 3.5 will give you more lie 4 to 4.5in of lift. Then the 1" bl will get you to easily running 33's with out messing with the drive line.

stumpbuster 02-24-2009 11:07 AM

4" lift all day, stay away from body lift. more work/headache.

you wont need to drop yer xfer case, you wont regret 4" lift, you WILL regret 2.5" lift.

NO DS MODIFICATIONS!

scrambler1 02-24-2009 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdhallissey (Post 329898)
so go 3.5 and a 1"bl. The 3.5 will give you more lie 4 to 4.5in of lift. Then the 1" bl will get you to easily running 33's with out messing with the drive line.

I agree In the long run the 4" iss nicer but you will need a SYE/driveshaft. and probably either a MML or a TCLK.

stumpbuster 02-25-2009 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrambler1 (Post 330296)
I agree In the long run the 4" iss nicer but you will need a SYE/driveshaft. and probably either a MML or a TCLK.

its actually a "tossup" weather or not yer gunna need the sye or not.
varies from jeep ta jeep.

install the lift, see if you got vibes, go from there.

it will save ya about $400 if you can git away w/o it, but the sye will def strengthen up yer drive line and is recommended...

tet1070 02-25-2009 03:56 PM

Mine has a 4" lift w/ 33's.I used a transfer case drop kit, it had to much vibration w/o it.

Fire Hart 02-25-2009 04:22 PM

Just do it!!

99T/Aman 02-25-2009 07:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just bought my jeep, but i love the lift, wouldnt even have bought a stock one.

Duck Dodgers 02-25-2009 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by china-clipper (Post 329887)
OK, I just picked up a '90 Wrangler with a straight six manual shift. Had it on my buddy's lift this weekend and found the rear shock mounts (upper) were rusted away. While is sat on the lift and we drank some beer I decided maybe a lift kit would be not so bad to do. Here's the deal, I live in Connecticut and hit the beaches alot. I'd like the lift for ground clearance and won't be doing any mudding or rock crawling. If I go with a 4" lift with the x-fer case lowering kit will I need to modify my driveshafts? Will it have vibration on the street? I'd really like the look of having 33's and the 4" lift. I'd like it to be streetable; would I be better off with a 2.5" kit? I'm a newbie here and could use some advice. Thanks in advance.

If you do the tranny drop you may be able to get away without installing an SYE. You could also do a Motor mount lift to increase the angle a bit more if you find you still have vibs after the T.D.. If you do these things you won't need to fork out the $500.00+ for a SYE DS Combo.

However I have a tranny drop and hate it. It hangs up on everything. Do some more reseach, shop around for prices, check craigslist for used parts if $ is a challange and then really think it out in regard to what and how you'll be wheeling. I pickup my Teraflex flex arm kit (uppers and lower CA's), belly up, shocks, TeraFlex adj front track bar, all the bracket for the lift, Teraflex Belly up skid, 4" R.E Spings, SYE and CV Drive Shaft combined for less that $800.00. By piecing it together from different sources.

Felsengleiskette 02-25-2009 11:30 PM

my 4...t-case had to drop. sye was not needed. but you should just put your current spings over your axle for a beach wheeler. or aftermrkt no lift springs, or little lift if your springs are shot. 33's would fit like butter on bread. and that platform is a far better starting point for future mods if you want to.