Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

5 6 to spend??

2K views 32 replies 20 participants last post by  Drick 
#1 ·
Just curious what some of you folks would spend 5 to 6 hundred bucks on your jeep if you had it to spend??? I am wondering if most would be frugle and invest in air intakes, exhust etc... things to save on gas and add a little power, or on tires (wont get much here) a lift perhaps, I dont really know what I want to do or how best to spend the 5 to 6 hundred so little help or opinion would be great tks. I have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited basically stock!:firedevil:

#2 ·
Good mileage and jeep aint going to happen.

5-6 hundred for me would just about cover

1) a spare tire to match my other four 31X10.50 BFG TAs (bought it used so it came this way)

2) KC Daylighters on windshield brackets

3) Aussie front locker

If I did not need the spare I would pick up a 1.25" body lift and 1" motor mount lift

#3 ·
I'm actually trying to save that much for this:

ROKMEN 03-06 TJ/LJ Up Armor Package 1
Includes: High Clearance Belly Pan, Engine/Transmission Skid Plate
Bare Steel $659.99

You can never go wrong with armor.

#6 ·
Well the "go-faster" and the "more mpg" products are not worth investing in because they don't work. Armor does work and benefits a stock height vehicle more than a lifted one because yours is lower. (closer to the obstacles)

#13 ·
Since it sounds like you need tires right now, you could go with 31x10.50 BFG ATs for example with no lift, but it's not really recommended except for street use. Your money will be about gone. Add a 2" budget boost lift later to eliminate tire clearance issues. If you can do the lift at the same time, you could get 32x11.50s. That would put you over 1K though. More if you get a matching spare.

Remember, it's easy to wish you'd gone bigger once it's too late. Maybe spend part of the $500 on some used 30s off ebay to buy some time - then figure out what you think you want to do with the Jeep, research lifts and accessories, and save up for what you will be happy with for a long time to come.

#10 ·
Stock Jeep and 5 or 6 hundred eh...

As stated your Jeep sits low. Rock rails and oil pan skid would be my investment to start. With as long as the unlimited is they will come in to play a lot.

#14 ·
I'd go wit some kind of safari doors or something like that. . . . . . . NOW! if it was meee :D I would get that Ford 8.8 that i NEED!!!! :( now i just have to find that kind of money :doh:

#15 ·
Figure out what look YOU want out of your jeep. And what you will be doing with it. After you have gotten that idea you can start planning.
Tires,Lift, anything axel related are the bigger priced items.
So figure out what size tire you want to run. Then you can figure out the lift you will need to fit those tires. Then figure out if your going to do some wheeling or pavement pounding. That will help figure out the axel purchases...

Then for lights and other little stuff....

#16 ·
Get a Quadratec or 4wd Hardware catalog and look through them for a couple weeks straight until you make up your mind what you want to do to your Jeep. If you're like me you'll pick out 5 different bumpers, 3 different winches, and about 6000 accessories that won't all fit on your Jeep. Eventually you'll figure out what you want and you can start building.

#17 ·
Wow all great advice!! I am curious do alot of you purchase stuff from Ebay, amazon those types I have looked a little but am not sure of quality I can expect!!! This is a tough one because I am torn between what I should get and what I could get I love the input and the ideas!! I have been getting the Quadratec mag for years as I have owned a jeep since 2002. I appreciate all and any info on how to spend the extra dough does not come along all that often as I am sure you all know!!!! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2006!!!

#19 ·
One more thing. I have an '06 LJ also, and I regretted getting only 32s almost immediately. They just look too small to me. 33s look better, 35s look perfect. So...it is likely you may not be happy with 31s for long, if at all. 33s don't require a lot of extras, 35s kinda do, so eventually I'll settle for 33s.

Only my opinion of course.

Have fun with it - and don't let it drive you too crazy.

#20 ·
I've got an LJ as well, and if you're going to wheel it, one of the best purchases I made where rock sliders. Since the LJ is a bit longer, and those plastic little steps won't protect your tub at all (I snapped mine off on a small rock). they're an easy install and can be found for roughly $299-$399 (I've got the ORF sliders and got them on sale for $299) and you'd have some cash left over for other stuff

#21 ·
Dude, if your gonna do any kind of wheeling at all in that LJ than get sliders. The last thing you wanna do is smash up the nice body on that good lookin Jeep. Armor is one of the very first things I do to a Jeep cause whats the point of anything else if its just gonna get smashed up. Rock sliders and underside armor is one of the best investments you'll make on a Jeep with such a long wheelbase. Far as ebay, I've bought a few things from there and have always been happy with it.

#22 ·
Alrighty good stuff guys but I am a little let down, I mean how often do you come in to 5 to 6 hundred beans to spend (legally that is). I really thought this would get you guys thinking I am just so torn on what to do here I would love some more input thks in advance!!!

#23 ·
really you can do anything with 5 to 600 dollars anymore. I can get sliders built and half my swing away tire carrier with jerry cans.

#24 ·
Actually - Up-Armor is a good modification for a stock jeep - especially with only $600 to spend.

You can increase your ground clearance by over 2" = equivelant to a 4" tire height increase. And at $600 you are not likely going to have enough to add a lift and new tires for anywhere close to that much. And by armoring the underside, you can be certain that the obstacles you don't have clearance for, are not going to take you down on the trail. The best wheelers we know start small like this and really learn their jeep.

If you are looking for cosmetic enhancements - Bumpers and sliders always work. But sometimes are out of place on a stock jeep.

#25 ·
All right I have thought about this some more and did some research here is what I have come up with!! I have not heard of manufacturer nor the site selling them but seem like solid stuff and the price is very good let me know what you think!! Off Road Store: 1983-2006 Jeep CJ7, YJ, TJ Diamond Plate Rock Sliders - Wildbuilt, 1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ, wb1010 (1997-2006 Jeep TJ Front Bumper by Trail-Gear) and Off Road Store: 1983-2006 Jeep CJ7, YJ, TJ Diamond Plate Rock Sliders - Wildbuilt, 1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ, wb1010 (1983-2006 Jeep CJ7, YJ, TJ Diamond Plate Rock Sliders - Wildbuilt)

#26 ·
Another thought is to by a fixer upper and use that for wheeling and keep my 2006 Unlimited for DD!!?? I found this on craigs list 1982 Jeep CJ7 1982 Jeep CJ7. I have always liked the CJ7 and would not have to beat up my LJ. I would probably offer guy $800 after I check it out of course!! There is surely more experienced people than I here and just wondering what you all think tks!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.