Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Custom Keyless Keypad Entry (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/custom-keyless-keypad-entry-272969.html)

EdsJunk 09-02-2013 10:40 PM

Custom Keyless Keypad Entry

5 Attachment(s)
So I went to a river this weekend for a swim and realized that I had no way to lock my jeep up without hiding my key through my back soft window and fetching it after to unlock the Jeep, and if I can do that, so can anyone that was watching me hide my key! Then my friend showed me how his "super cool SUV" had a keypad for keyless entry. I told him that I would add that feature tomorrow, and I did, and here is how it looks!

I had some spare water tight keypads laying around from some old projects I did, So I took one, hooked it up to a microcontroller (called a arduino) along with my spare key I got when I bought the Jeep and began writing some code. Basically what the micro controller does it watch the keypad, and if the right code is typed it will push the unlock button twice on the factory key (so it unlocks all the doors, not just the driver). This will also deactivate the alarm as well. Then when your done, you can push the arrow button to lock the Jeep back up. It works great and I did not ruin my factory key. I can still unsolder the wires and use it just like from factory if I ever needed. The Key is well hidden and locked up so no one can find it and use it to drive my Jeep away. I love this and wanted to share!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24obYrUYW9w

George Ross 09-02-2013 10:43 PM

Pretty slick.

Ruby Tuesday 09-02-2013 10:52 PM

Why can't you wire it into the door lock switch?

7ekken 09-02-2013 10:52 PM

why not just get a regular chipped key with no electronics and tie the end of it to your swim shorts?

cool execution of your idea, just think you went a bit overboard.

either way, thanks for sharing

mattdenney07 09-02-2013 11:07 PM

I love the ingenuity of Jeep owners... they never seize to amaze me!

JKjingle 09-02-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7ekken (Post 4233321)
why not just get a regular chipped key with no electronics and tie the end of it to your swim shorts?

cool execution of your idea, just think you went a bit overboard.

either way, thanks for sharing

Cause then he wouldn't have a cool jeep project to do on the weekend haha ;)

Jackyl71 09-02-2013 11:13 PM

Awesome idea! I have wanted to do this to my JKU since I got it. I have a Ford Five Hundred with the keypad entry and miss it DEARLY! Loved just being able to lock my keys in the car and not carry them around with me!
I had read a few articles about using the micro controller to facilitate the interface but came to the same conclusion that you did... That it would have to be jacked into a key fob to make it work correctly.
The reason for this is the security system in the Jeeps. I could be wrong about this, but from what I've read, locking the doors with the door switches won't activate the security system. And unlocking them with the door switches while the system active with set it off.
I'm thinking of doing something similar, but want to eliminate the need to cut a button panel into my door. Might try something with some kind of prox sensor or maybe small photo cells that I can mount on the inside of my windshield. (It's an idea anyhow)
Again, good job!

NFRs2000NYC 09-02-2013 11:14 PM

If you can make this thing reasonably priced, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. However, I would love it even more if you used gunvault style buttons (fingertip code) and have the keypad hidden somewhere. Nevertheless, awesome mod, and very smart. Kudos brother.

Lowerumble 09-02-2013 11:15 PM

This was good thinking. Why does only ford offer this from the factory? Chevy makes me call onstar all the time. When the fords get locked, we just use the key code...

MRT2 09-03-2013 12:33 AM

Very Cool and Innovative.

unusedusername 09-03-2013 01:01 AM

Is the keypad waterproof?

Batjeep09 09-03-2013 01:44 AM

Nice mod. Looks clean as well. I do have a question though. So how does this work with no doors or top on? Just messing with ya.

sbpunk 09-03-2013 03:00 AM

I just unzip my window.....

ErickS 09-03-2013 03:57 AM

Very cool.

mpersaud2 09-03-2013 06:05 PM

This is cool..

lysol 09-03-2013 06:18 PM

I love ideas like this!! Very nice!

Wsttimes0 09-03-2013 06:29 PM

I think your rig deserves a full build thread. I would like to know what the other plug above the key pad is. As well as this tank in the back. Does this Jeep transform into a camper or what? Got a slide out on the other side? By the looks of the rear and your ingenuity with the keypad, I bet you have several hidden gems in that rig. I am intrigued. Nice work on the pad.

BXCc 09-03-2013 06:52 PM

:worthy:

Well done. Any part numbers and instructions you would like to share?

ohioviper 09-03-2013 06:59 PM

Cool idea but with a soft top isnt this kind of a waste of time ? Its kind of like getting locked out of your car with the windows down.

EdsJunk 09-03-2013 07:04 PM

Yes, its a soft top, but just because you can get into the jeep, doesnt mean the jeep wont alarm. Also, I have a a secured cargo area that can be securly locked when the tailgate is locked.. so this also helps me there.

donmeca2020 09-03-2013 07:25 PM

A+ for effort and style. i honestly doubt i have that kind of know how to do something like this with out messing up a key FOB and also screwing up a hole that is drilled into my vehicle. lol

kjeeper10 09-03-2013 07:32 PM

:thumb: well done man.
This just popped up on my youtube account, front page being subscribed to you when do did your tank mod.

flipmeover 09-03-2013 08:08 PM

Awesome project! This is more like something I expect to see on hack-a-day than WF. Since you're already using an ardunio, have you considered adding some additional functionality? I can't think of anything real useful of the top of my head, but there's got to be some things you could add with different codes. Maybe turn on auxiliary lights with a 2 minute shut off or trigger a 5 sec window roll up sequence. Don't know how truly useful if it would be, but if you have the power, why not use it :D. Again, great work!

EdsJunk 09-03-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flipmeover (Post 4260401)
Awesome project! This is more like something I expect to see on hack-a-day than WF. Since you're already using an ardunio, have you considered adding some additional functionality? I can't think of anything real useful of the top of my head, but there's got to be some things you could add with different codes. Maybe turn on auxiliary lights with a 2 minute shut off or trigger a 5 sec window roll up sequence. Don't know how truly useful if it would be, but if you have the power, why not use it :D. Again, great work!

Ive thought of this and will probably add this functionality in the future!

thetman 09-03-2013 08:33 PM

this is the same guy who has pressurized water hookup on the side of his Jeep and a tablet mounted in the front.

flipmeover 09-03-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdsJunk (Post 4260521)
Ive thought of this and will probably add this functionality in the future!

Definitely keep us in the loop. I've been meaning to pick up an ardunio to play with, but couldn't think of anything useful to build. I know i won't put in the time to learn unless I have a real endgame to work toward. My son's still too young to build a robot with, but a project like this gives me some inspiration.

NFRs2000NYC 09-03-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohioviper (Post 4257713)
Cool idea but with a soft top isnt this kind of a waste of time ? Its kind of like getting locked out of your car with the windows down.

I actually had a AAA guy once tell me that a woman actually called them telling them she needed help because she locked her keys in the trunk....she made the call while sitting inside the car...with the trunk release button 2 feet away from her. :D

Lusus_Naturae 09-03-2013 10:12 PM

^ Our Sebring won't open the trunk with the inside trunk release button unless the key is in the ignition and on ACC or RUN. It's a safety lockout because it's a convertible.

Back to the Jeep - I like this idea, it's a nice project, not sure if I'd do it - yet...

Olsen185 09-03-2013 11:11 PM

So awesome!

tomaboyd 09-04-2013 10:05 AM

Nice.

But you could have just bought a hitch safe. I have had one for years and it has, arguably, been the best add on I have gotten.