Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Thinking about getting a LJ and have questions (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/thinking-about-getting-a-lj-and-have-questions-273193.html)

kdawgg11 09-03-2013 02:57 AM

Thinking about getting a LJ and have questions

Hello everybody I am new from wv I hope to talk and maybe meet up with some of you all that live close by. I am new to the site so please send links or point me in the right way when I ask a repeating or dumb question. A short story about me I had a 90 YJ love it noting fancy but enjoyed every bit of it well wife wanted a convertible so I traded and got what she wanted knowing I will get another one (happy wife happy life) so I was find until I drove her dads Jk 4door auto it was nice but I wanted a rubicon an I done had it in my mind I want a 05 to 06 reason I wanted to try and find the 4.0 6speed just cause I thought was the both of the Jk and the tj. Ok I found a 05 LJ hard top 6speed 73k with a 4in skyjacker and long arm kit with 33in tires it was the electric green but has been re painted but it has a rebuilt title no frame damage just hit in the rear.

Question 1 what are the common issues with the LJ
Question 2 what is the value of a LJ?
Question 3 is skyjacker a good suspenion for the LJ
Question 4 is the locker mod a good mod to do?
Question 5 what are some good DIY mods for the LJ?

Ok sorry for the long post and if I forgot something I will ask an hope to get some good advice thanks

robrat 09-03-2013 05:49 AM

I own an LJ, and love it - lots more room for passengers and cargo. Driveline wise, longer rear shaft, which makes it easier on driveshafts when lifted.

Other than that, read through the TJ forum - anything that can happen to a TJ can happen to an LJ.

05 six speeds have an issue with reverse that they corrected on the 06's. There is a parts upgrade kit from Jeep for it, but it runs around $1500 now.

OPDA is another issue to search the forum for.

Drive it around 55-60mph, hit some bumps, see how it reacts. They all have a little bump steer, but watch out for major shimmy's.

Like any TJ/LJ, check the frame out for rot.

Around here, that would go for $12-$15000

Trendsetter75 09-03-2013 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robrat (Post 4238825)
I own an LJ, and love it - lots more room for passengers and cargo. Driveline wise, longer rear shaft, which makes it easier on driveshafts when lifted.

Other than that, read through the TJ forum - anything that can happen to a TJ can happen to an LJ.

05 six speeds have an issue with reverse that they corrected on the 06's. There is a parts upgrade kit from Jeep for it, but it runs around $1500 now.

OPDA is another issue to search the forum for.

Drive it around 55-60mph, hit some bumps, see how it reacts. They all have a little bump steer, but watch out for major shimmy's.

Like any TJ/LJ, check the frame out for rot.

Around here, that would go for $12-$15000

Yeah, I have an 05 also and I get a little shake between 50-60 mph, and my reverse sometimes grinds when putting in reverse as well. Is there a fix for this.

NJO 09-03-2013 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trendsetter75 (Post 4239041)
Yeah, I have an 05 also and I get a little shake between 50-60 mph, and my reverse sometimes grinds when putting in reverse as well. Is there a fix for this.

Yep its called Royal Purple Synchromax.........no kidding either.

Stay away from the Chrysler brand recommended fluid, Penzoil Synchomesh or any dino based fluid.

RitalinKid 09-03-2013 08:01 AM

I love my 06 LJ wouldn't trade it for any outer Jeep. I have the 4.0 6 speed bought it with 47000 mi payed 15000.00. Can't say on the lift but the long arm lift is suppose to be better ride. I have a little shimmy at about 45 workin out that problem now and the stupid gas cap code also trying to chase down that dumdass code. I still love it though haven't driven my 2500 Chevy but 3or 4 times since it got it about 6 or 7 months ago

Rubicondon53 09-03-2013 08:11 AM

I'll answer the Skyjacker question for you.. No, they are not good suspensions for jeeps....

Landon II 09-03-2013 08:22 AM

I got a 05 Lj in feb of 12. It had 40k on it. I paid 16k but it came with a 2 year warranty. I have some issues with it popping out of reverse too. I'm going to try the royal purple mentioned above.
In case you don't already know. All lj's have the 4.0 inline six. IMHO the best jeep engine ever made. They also all have D44 rear differentials.

Offroad1 09-03-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landon II (Post 4240969)
I got a 05 Lj in feb of 12. It had 40k on it. I paid 16k but it came with a 2 year warranty. I have some issues with it popping out of reverse too. I'm going to try the royal purple mentioned above.
In case you don't already know. All lj's have the 4.0 inline six. IMHO the best jeep engine ever made. They also all have D44 rear differentials.

And they come standard with 3:73 gears, Track Loc limited slip, and rear disc brakes!

Offroad1 09-03-2013 08:55 AM

Rebuilt title will hurt value, so consider that if you think you might resell later. Depending on what they are asking, you may be able to use this to negotiate price. I just picked up an LJ a couple of months ago and love it. Other than what was mentioned, check the usual stuff like:

-turn on key, without starting, and make sure all dash gauges and warning lights work
-check for leaking pinion seals on the differentials
-check for leaking gaskets and seals (rear main seal, front timing cover, valve cover, oil pan etc.)
-pull the oil filler cap and shine a light in the valve cover to look for signs of moisture (i.e. potential head gasket problem
-check the cooling system (i.e. radiator, water pump, hoses, coolant reservoir, etc. (including removing the radiator cap, when it's cold, and looking at the coolant)
-check the brake pads and rotors
-drive and check the transmission shifting
-engage the 4wheel drive, both high and low range, to check the transfer case
-drive up to highway speed and check suspension for any signs of vibration, wobble, or strange clunks

Lastly, make sure you crawl underneath, with a flashlight, and do a comprehensive check for signs of serious rust (e.g. frame, tub, lines, etc.). There is probably more, but this is a good place to start. Remember, it's your money, so don't be afraid to give it a thorough inspection. Good hunting!

kdawgg11 09-03-2013 11:23 AM

Well there asking 14k the body has been uncoated the engine bay is really clean from the pics I will get a better look when I go to inspect it. Here is the problem I am having I have a 04 ford f250 diesel crew cab 4x4 and the guy wants to trade even he wants a crew cab truck I love my truck and having a hard time deciding on what to do I don't use the diesel on hauling much execpt people and it is a Harley Davidson edition do you all think it is a good trade? I know the jeep holds the value better but with the rebuilt title worries me for resale not planning on selling it but if I ever do. So what is your all opinion I am in a hard choice to choose what to do

kdawgg11 09-03-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubicondon53 (Post 4240857)
I'll answer the Skyjacker question for you.. No, they are not good suspensions for jeeps....

Can you tell me why? I don't know to much about suspension is why I am asking

NJO 09-03-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdawgg11 (Post 4245473)
Can you tell me why? I don't know to much about suspension is why I am asking

What he said isn't entirely true. A lot of the parts SKyjacker sells is junk(like their fixed control arms, "hydro shocks" some other odds n ends). But they also have some quality parts too.

Their springs are good. A bit stiffer than factory(150lb front vs 140 factory, 170 rear vs. 160 factory)but work well with heavy TJ's and LJ's. Their M95 shocks are fantastic. They are actually rebadged BDS 9500 series monotube shocks. And at $70 a piece are a steal and have good short compressed lengths for given travel they provide.

Like all the mainstream companies you just have to be careful of which parts you pick and choose though. Because they do sell a lot of junk.

Offroad1 09-03-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdawgg11 (Post 4245361)
Well there asking 14k the body has been uncoated the engine bay is really clean from the pics I will get a better look when I go to inspect it. Here is the problem I am having I have a 04 ford f250 diesel crew cab 4x4 and the guy wants to trade even he wants a crew cab truck I love my truck and having a hard time deciding on what to do I don't use the diesel on hauling much execpt people and it is a Harley Davidson edition do you all think it is a good trade? I know the jeep holds the value better but with the rebuilt title worries me for resale not planning on selling it but if I ever do. So what is your all opinion I am in a hard choice to choose what to do

Depending on the shape of the truck and options, they may be close in value. However, if it was me, I would not trade a diesel truck for a rebuilt title Jeep. That's just me though!

Also, undercoating is not always a good thing, because it can hide/mask things you might otherwise see. If the undercoating is fresh, that might be more of an issue of concern.

NJO 09-03-2013 01:07 PM

Such a late model LJ should not have much rust on it. Undercoating it is not a bad thing. And 70k is low mileage on a 4.0L motor. Can you post up pics........of the frame, underneath etc? Have you done a quick carfax by any chance?

AOR 09-03-2013 03:03 PM

If the vehicle is worth 16000, then why did an insurance company total it? What damage was done exactly (besides hit in the rear)? Check all the fluids for contamination. Check under the dash for hacked up wiring issues. Take it to a trusted mechanic and have a once over done on it. Compression check, leak down, trans check (see if you can get a magnet in the fluid and check for metal). Similarly do the tcase and diffs. Check the plugs for signs of irregular burning etc, etc.

For me that sounds high for a rebuild title. The skyjacker kit does not increase the price that much for the amount they are asking. How is the tread? Less than yours on your truck. I would sell the HD edition out right and have cash. Something just doesn't smell right about this deal. Carfax is your friend. Also, get any info on where this supposed rebuild work was done and talk to them.

Look before you leap! Is this a Rubicon? I don't believe you mentioned it was. Only that you wanted one. Good luck.

kdawgg11 09-03-2013 03:08 PM

I haven't seen or have pics of the under it. I have a friend and he ran the car fax it has 6 owners and show a salvage title I am on my phone and can't get it post the car fax but I will see if I can find a app so I can and thanks for all the help I appreciate it and please keep them coming I am at a cross roads on what to do I wish it didn't have a rebuilt title a dealer told me they will give half of value of rebuilt titles but that's a dealer for ya

kdawgg11 09-03-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AOR (Post 4251129)
If the vehicle is worth 16000, then why did an insurance company total it? What damage was done exactly (besides hit in the rear)? Check all the fluids for contamination. Check under the dash for hacked up wiring issues. Take it to a trusted mechanic and have a once over done on it. Compression check, leak down, trans check (see if you can get a magnet in the fluid and check for metal). Similarly do the tcase and diffs. Check the plugs for signs of irregular burning etc, etc.

For me that sounds high for a rebuild title. The skyjacker kit does not increase the price that much for the amount they are asking. How is the tread? Less than yours on your truck. I would sell the HD edition out right and have cash. Something just doesn't smell right about this deal. Carfax is your friend. Also, get any info on where this supposed rebuild work was done and talk to them.

Look before you leap! Is this a Rubicon? I don't believe you mentioned it was. Only that you wanted one. Good luck.

Yes it is a rubicon and I don't really wanted to sell my truck out right cause around my area they won't give you noting on a 6.0 diesel there scared of them so they always give me low ball offers so that is why. He is asking 14 for the rubicon . I will try and get the info on the jeep and who did it he told me that the insurance said it was fixed by a master mechanic and before he bought it he took it to his to check it out he hasn't own it long and told me he would keep it but his wife can't drive a manual and they need a truck and more room so that is what he told me

Dare 09-03-2013 03:34 PM

I love my LJ for the reasons listed above. I work with insurance companies also and just a heads up, a vehicle with a "branded" title normally is worth about 50% of an unbranded one. What this means is if it is wrecked later on and comparable vehicles are worth 14000 lets say, yours is only worth 7000 if it totals. This also reflects on repairing a vehicle. If one is wrecked and it needs 5000 worth of repairs the unbranded one still falls within a reparability window, the branded title vehicle wouldn't so it would be totaled again. Be sure the agent knows this when you insure it.

UnlimitedRubicon 09-03-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdawgg11 (Post 4245361)
do you all think it is a good trade?

no

kdawgg11 09-03-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedRubicon (Post 4253481)
no

Can you explain why did isn't a good deal?

I asked him to get the info for the guy that did the work so I can talk and see what he says but it is a pain to worry about all this stuff but if it is all on the up and up then no big deal. Also what would bank value a rebuilt title jeep? Just like it books or do they cut the value down as well? I haven't contacted my bank yet to see

louczar 09-03-2013 04:55 PM

Salvaged title would be a deal braker

UnlimitedRubicon 09-03-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdawgg11 (Post 4253905)
Can you explain why did isn't a good deal?

Trading a clean titled vehicle for a salvage titled vehicle just doesn't qualify as a good deal to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdawgg11 (Post 4253905)
Also what would bank value a rebuilt title jeep?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dare
I work with insurance companies also and just a heads up, a vehicle with a "branded" title normally is worth about 50% of an unbranded one.

kdawgg11 09-03-2013 05:10 PM

So banks would do the same I am guessing well your all right I didn't like it was a rebuilt title well I will have to keep looking for one

UnlimitedRubicon 09-03-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdawgg11 (Post 4254425)
So banks would do the same I am guessing well your all right I didn't like it was a rebuilt title well I will have to keep looking for one

That's the smart move. There's always another one.

idiot magnet 09-03-2013 05:16 PM

The reverse rebuild kit was $3-400 just 3 years ago. Supply and demand drove the price way up. It's a tricky transmission to work on without the mopar stand/mount. The kit has a stronger internal shifter, syncros, gear and a few misc pieces.
The jeep you are buying has a few issues if you ever want to get rid of the long arm lift since it is from a questionable company. Find out what the previous damage was done to it and see where they got their parts. You need proof of every part you replace that has a VIN on it at least you do in IN. The police will check each and every part on that list. I had to do this when I rebuilt my LJ.
Keep looking for other lj's if you don't feel 100% behind the deal.

AFS-LEE 09-03-2013 05:36 PM

not good keep looking

kdawgg11 09-03-2013 05:42 PM

Thank you all so much for the help if you know where a rubicon is near wv,va,nc that needs a diesel and wants to trade let me know thanks again

NJO 09-03-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdawgg11 (Post 4255329)
Thank you all so much for the help if you know where a rubicon is near wv,va,nc that needs a diesel and wants to trade let me know thanks again

Cars.com go to a dealership.....see what you get for trade in......in meantime private sell it on cl for free.

my996duc1 09-03-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJO (Post 4239241)
Yep its called Royal Purple Synchromax.........no kidding either.

Stay away from the Chrysler brand recommended fluid, Penzoil Synchomesh or any dino based fluid.

+1 made mine a lot better shifting.

Still have reverse issues on occasion.
Anyone have the part number for the kit to rebuild the reverse ??

_

Tomdata 09-03-2013 08:39 PM

Keep shopping.

The problem with tj/LJ is they are very hard to find in low mileage - unmodified condition. It took me over 9 months to find a descent one.

Btw. I also ditched an 05 F250 FX4 for my TJ.