Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   2 wheel drive doesn't work, 4 wheel does (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/2-wheel-drive-doesnt-work-4-wheel-does-27623.html)

manster_34 03-09-2009 05:46 PM

2 wheel drive doesn't work, 4 wheel does
 
Hey guys I was driving home yesterday after picking up my girlfriend from work and we heard a pop. Then instantly it was as if it was put in neutral. I then rolled into a parking space and deciede to put it in 4 wheel drive and it works but only power goes to the front. Does anyone have any ideas? mabe u joints or transfer case. I just got a new clutch put in two weeks ago. Its a 98 2.5L 2in lift with 31in tires.

jwm1986 03-09-2009 05:54 PM

Have any way to have someone else drive it forward a little and see if the back drive shaft turns? I would think if it was the transfer case the back one would not turn anymore if it broke, but I really have no idea.

MR.CLIFFORD 03-09-2009 06:05 PM

Did you, by chance, install a body lift? Could be something as simple as the shifter lever needs an adjustment so it will fully engage 2wd.

Could be something as serious as a busted up transfer case.

I'd check the shifter linkage first. If it isn't fully engaged into 2WD you can get those kind of symptoms.

manster_34 03-09-2009 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwm1986 (Post 336380)
Have any way to have someone else drive it forward a little and see if the back drive shaft turns? I would think if it was the transfer case the back one would not turn anymore if it broke, but I really have no idea.

I just did what you said and the drive shaft did turn.

manster_34 03-09-2009 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR.CLIFFORD (Post 336385)
Did you, by chance, install a body lift? Could be something as simple as the shifter lever needs an adjustment so it will fully engage 2wd.

Could be something as serious as a busted up transfer case.

I'd check the shifter linkage first. If it isn't fully engaged into 2WD you can get those kind of symptoms.

Yeah i installed a 2inch lift about a year ago. Im hopping its not the transfer case considering I just paid for a new clutch.

MR.CLIFFORD 03-09-2009 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manster_34 (Post 336391)
I just did what you said and the drive shaft did turn.

That's because the other end of the drive shaft is hooked to the ring and pinion which is turning because of the tires on the ground. The rear drive shaft will always turn, same with the front, if it is moving.

jdhallissey 03-09-2009 06:35 PM

blew out the rear end. put on the parking brake. block the rear tires and pull the diff cover. I am going to bet you have pieces of the carrier and bearings falling out of it. Sorry to give you the bad news. Hope for the best tho.

MR.CLIFFORD 03-09-2009 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manster_34 (Post 336392)
Yeah i installed a 2inch lift about a year ago. Im hopping its not the transfer case considering I just paid for a new clutch.

If the transfer case is the problem you will hear it when the jeeps moves forward and backward. If you had a new clutch installed there is a good chance the install wasn't put back the way it was intended. I'd suggest moving the shifter lever bolt to move it on the rod. Then manually move the tcase into 2wd. Then tighten the bolt back where it is suppose to go.

MR.CLIFFORD 03-09-2009 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdhallissey (Post 336394)
blew out the rear end. put on the parking brake. block the rear tires and pull the diff cover. I am going to bet you have pieces of the carrier and bearings falling out of it. Sorry to give you the bad news. Hope for the best tho.

nope

jdhallissey 03-09-2009 06:39 PM

I hope your right I had a buddy in calis do that and well it was the rear end. Youwork with them everyday or so I trust ya!

manster_34 03-09-2009 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR.CLIFFORD (Post 336395)
If the transfer case is the problem you will hear it when the jeeps moves forward and backward. If you had a new clutch installed there is a good chance the install wasn't put back the way it was intended. I'd suggest moving the shifter lever bolt to move it on the rod. Then manually move the tcase into 2wd. Then tighten the bolt back where it is suppose to go.

I'll try what you said tomorrow when there is some sunlight. I don't really hear a thing when I drive it at all in 4 wheel or 2 wheel or even when its rolling in neutral.

Thanks

MR.CLIFFORD 03-09-2009 06:55 PM

Just sounds like your tcase lever needs and adjustment. Best as my memory serves me you need a 13mm socket and 2 minutes time.

manster_34 03-09-2009 06:56 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys

autogyver 03-09-2009 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.clifford (Post 336395)
if the transfer case is the problem you will hear it when the jeeps moves forward and backward. If you had a new clutch installed there is a good chance the install wasn't put back the way it was intended. I'd suggest moving the shifter lever bolt to move it on the rod. Then manually move the tcase into 2wd. Then tighten the bolt back where it is suppose to go.

x2

cliffhanger1289 04-14-2009 09:00 PM

I have exactly the same problem! What was the solution? any help appreciated!
Cliffhanger1289

MR.CLIFFORD 04-14-2009 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cliffhanger1289 (Post 355340)
I have exactly the same problem! What was the solution? any help appreciated!
Cliffhanger1289

Did you try any of the specific suggestions pointed out in this thread?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 AM.