Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Concerns about lifts (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/concerns-about-lifts-276265.html)

NWranglerS 09-04-2013 08:14 PM

Concerns about lifts
 
I have been researching a lot for a lift, and I was hoping you guys could hear me out on my concerns... I have been reading through every post out there for lifts so bear with another confused filled "lift thread". I didn't want to have to start another but i'm getting frustrated.

I am running 285/70r17 trail grapplers with 1.5 spacers on my 2dr. My jeep is a DD and to be honest it wont see much serious wheeling. I have been trying to decide between a spacer, or suspension lift. Heres where I'm hung up on things..

My biggest fear is getting too much height out of a coil/shock lift to where the 33's (probably more like 32's) look too small. However, I would rather install a lift with new coils and shocks to improve the ride (do it right the first time). I see pics of 33" tires with a simple leveling kit like the TF leveling kit and I feel like I might want a little more height out of it.

I would prefer to install a kit that improves my ride but I see a lot of posts about the coils being stiffer and therefore giving more height and I have a 2DR so I know its common getting more lift than advertised. I looked the other day and my stock springs are 14/56 so they are pretty soft.

There are so many different lifts to compare, not to mention mixing and matching (i.e., getting a coil lift and adding different shocks) and I am overwhelmed as hell. I do know that I want to stick with a company that is high quality like TF, AEV, RE, RK, OME etc.. although if I do decide on a spacer lift it doesnt really matter much.

I am open to all opinions on my concerns and which way I should go. I will add a few pics of my jeep to introduce her and try and add some pics of 2DR's that I like the looks of.

Thanks in advance.

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q...pse01a97ed.jpg

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps8451e010.jpg

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps5215fd9a.jpg

wrh3 09-04-2013 08:36 PM

I'm thinking OME 2" lift, closer to 3" for you with no steel bumpers/winch........am actually thinking this for me too x 2 (We have two Rubicons now):

Old Man Emu JK Lift Package Deal

George Ross 09-04-2013 08:39 PM

Here is mine on LT265/70R17/E BFG T/A KO's with a 2.5 inch Teraflex coil spring lift. Your 285's should be about 1 inch bigger in diameter than my 265's (32.7 inches versus 31.6 inches).

kjeeper10 09-04-2013 08:48 PM

The TF 2.5" is a great lift. I know from my own experience and others will keep you around 2.5"
The reason why some lifts give more height is the coils are rated for a fully loaded jeep.
The TF coils are going to be rated hire than stock but not as much as say RK's. my 2 door is a full inch more,

No fuss 2.5" I'd go TF :)

wrh3 09-04-2013 09:01 PM

And, going to 18/59 factory JKU springs will give you a bit of lift too, 1"-1.5"......these almost new takeoff springs on ebay range from $75-$100, that is where we are at now with factory tires. Here is a pic with OE bumpers and no winch (14/56 were the OE springs):

http://billswebspace.com/jeep153.jpg

NWranglerS 09-04-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Ross (Post 4293953)
Here is mine on LT265/70R17/E BFG T/A KO's with a 2.5 inch Teraflex coil spring lift. Your 285's should be about 1 inch bigger in diameter than my 265's (32.7 inches versus 31.6 inches).

Hey George, thats a nice looking Jeep. Any chance you have any other pics? particularly a side shot?

NWranglerS 09-04-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 4294321)
The TF 2.5" is a great lift. I know from my own experience and others will keep you around 2.5"
The reason why some lifts give more height is the coils are rated for a fully loaded jeep.
The TF coils are going to be rated hire than stock but not as much as say RK's. my 2 door is a full inch more,

No fuss 2.5" I'd go TF :)

Hey Kjeeper, thanks for the reply... When you say that TF 2.5" I see there are a few options (no shocks/shock extensions to be used with OE shocks/ and the VSS shocks) Which are you referring to?

I was also looking at a thread about the Rancho 2" sport lift you posted in. The lift comes with shocks/coils up front and shocks/spacers in the back and it sounded like a great deal, but late into the thread the rancho rep stated that the front of the JK's does sit up a little higher because they account for ppl adding new bumpers and winches etc.. it seems like an awesome lift but thats reason enough for me not to get it. I don't plan on adding a new bumper anytime soon (did the vdp caps, and might add a hoop).

R51 09-04-2013 10:18 PM

I also like the TF 2.5" on 33s. I empathize with your confused frustration, I went through it too trying to figure out what to do. At some point it becomes an act of courage- you just make your best guess, plop down the money and go for it. In my case, I was thrilled with the way the look/ride/height turned out. But there was certainly a component of luck involved.

George Ross 09-04-2013 10:19 PM

Thanks.

Here is a side view, taken right after I installed the lift and before the KC lights.

NWranglerS 09-04-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrh3 (Post 4294793)
And, going to 18/59 factory JKU springs will give you a bit of lift too, 1"-1.5"......these almost new takeoff springs on ebay range from $75-$100, that is where we are at now with factory tires. Here is a pic with OE bumpers and no winch (14/56 were the OE springs):

http://billswebspace.com/jeep153.jpg

That came out nice wrh3! something else to think about... I am in the same boat you were in with the 14/56 OE's.

R51 09-04-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWranglerS (Post 4297921)
Hey Kjeeper, thanks for the reply... When you say that TF 2.5" I see there are a few options (no shocks/shock extensions to be used with OE shocks/ and the VSS shocks) Which are you referring to?

FWIW, I replaced the shocks with Bilstein 5100s. The ride is awesome.

NWranglerS 09-04-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R51 (Post 4298049)
FWIW, I replaced the shocks with Bilstein 5100s. The ride is awesome.

Thanks R51.. Do you have any pics of your set up? That is great you made the right choice. I have always heard good things about TF products and customer service.

Quick question.... the TF 2.5 lift kit (coils) versus the TF 2.5 BB (spacers) which you can add shocks to both... One would expect to get slightly more lift from the coil lift and also a better ride with new coils correct? The BB spacer lift would just be a true 2.5 increase and not change the ride quality correct?

R51 09-04-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWranglerS (Post 4298417)
Thanks R51.. Do you have any pics of your set up? That is great you made the right choice. I have always heard good things about TF products and customer service.

Quick question.... the TF 2.5 lift kit (coils) versus the TF 2.5 BB (spacers) which you can add shocks to both... One would expect to get slightly more lift from the coil lift and also a better ride with new coils correct? The BB spacer lift would just be a true 2.5 increase and not change the ride quality correct?

I have become and old dog struggling to learn new tricks. I don't know how to post pictures :jawdrop:
I would think you would get more lift from the coils, but since I never had spacers, I'm actually talking out my ear, here. Maybe someone else knows for sure? I went with coils because I plan to put a steel bumper and winch on some day when I find one I actually like.

George Ross 09-04-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWranglerS (Post 4298417)

Quick question.... the TF 2.5 lift kit (coils) versus the TF 2.5 BB (spacers) which you can add shocks to both... One would expect to get slightly more lift from the coil lift and also a better ride with new coils correct? The BB spacer lift would just be a true 2.5 increase and not change the ride quality correct?

Mine is the coil lift with the VSS 9550 shocks. I haven't had it on long, just put it on saturday, but I like the ride so far. Install took about 9 hours, but I took my time. I have a Rugged Ridge XHD bumper with tire carrier in the back and the XHD bumper with winch in the front. I ended up with about 2.5 inches of lift in the back and about 3 inches in the front.

NWranglerS 09-04-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R51 (Post 4298545)
I have become and old dog struggling to learn new tricks. I don't know how to post pictures :jawdrop:
I would think you would get more lift from the coils, but since I never had spacers, I'm actually talking out my ear, here. Maybe someone else knows for sure? I went with coils because I plan to put a steel bumper and winch on some day when I find one I actually like.

No worries on the pics! It took me a bit to get it right to post the few up above. Thanks again for the info.

kurtz265 09-05-2013 08:58 AM

My one piece of advice, right NOW you are saying you dont want too much lift. I can't tell you how many folks here on the forums once said/thought the same thing, went to a leveling kit or a more modest lift, and within a few months found themselves researching 3.5 inch lift kits.

If you are gonna do it, think about it carefully, and err on the side of "too much" rather than "too little"

NWranglerS 09-05-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurtz265 (Post 4307857)
My one piece of advice, right NOW you are saying you dont want too much lift. I can't tell you how many folks here on the forums once said/thought the same thing, went to a leveling kit or a more modest lift, and within a few months found themselves researching 3.5 inch lift kits.

If you are gonna do it, think about it carefully, and err on the side of "too much" rather than "too little"

Thats a good point Kurtz... I definitely wont be going higher than a 2.5" lift... starts getting too pricey for me. But you are right, I have 33's and I already wonder if I should have gotten 35's!

kurtz265 09-06-2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWranglerS (Post 4329649)
Thats a good point Kurtz... I definitely wont be going higher than a 2.5" lift... starts getting too pricey for me. But you are right, I have 33's and I already wonder if I should have gotten 35's!

HAHA I'm speaking from personal experience :atomic: I purchased and installed the TF leveling kit on 33s. I have since sold both my 33s AND my leveling kit for a 2.5 lift on 35s.

ohioviper 09-06-2013 09:19 AM

Go with a TF 2.5" spring lift ,it isa complete kit with bump stops and track bar bracket for the rear and sway bar links .It has everything you need for a complete lift minus shocks.You will get about 3" front and 2.5" rear.Add some Rancho 9k shocks and you will have a better ride than stock.

ESP 09-06-2013 09:30 AM

^ This.

TF 2.5 coils and be done.

NWranglerS 09-06-2013 04:47 PM

Thanks guys, that is what I'm leaning towards after reading so many positives about rancho 9000's and the rebate they have going on. I have to see what it will cost me in total, but I'm willing to pay a little more to do it right the first time and be happier in the long run. Thanks again for the help.

kjeeper10 09-06-2013 04:53 PM

:thumb:

Republican Jeep 09-06-2013 06:30 PM

Take a look at the Rancho 2" lift with springs. It won't give you too much lift like you said you didn't want. They look nice and the shocks have a rebate now.

kbwwolf 09-06-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWranglerS (Post 4292929)
I have been researching a lot for a lift, and I was hoping you guys could hear me out on my concerns... I have been reading through every post out there for lifts so bear with another confused filled "lift thread". I didn't want to have to start another but i'm getting frustrated.

I am running 285/70r17 trail grapplers with 1.5 spacers on my 2dr. My jeep is a DD and to be honest it wont see much serious wheeling. I have been trying to decide between a spacer, or suspension lift. Heres where I'm hung up on things..

My biggest fear is getting too much height out of a coil/shock lift to where the 33's (probably more like 32's) look too small. However, I would rather install a lift with new coils and shocks to improve the ride (do it right the first time). I see pics of 33" tires with a simple leveling kit like the TF leveling kit and I feel like I might want a little more height out of it.

I would prefer to install a kit that improves my ride but I see a lot of posts about the coils being stiffer and therefore giving more height and I have a 2DR so I know its common getting more lift than advertised. I looked the other day and my stock springs are 14/56 so they are pretty soft.

There are so many different lifts to compare, not to mention mixing and matching (i.e., getting a coil lift and adding different shocks) and I am overwhelmed as hell. I do know that I want to stick with a company that is high quality like TF, AEV, RE, RK, OME etc.. although if I do decide on a spacer lift it doesnt really matter much.

I am open to all opinions on my concerns and which way I should go. I will add a few pics of my jeep to introduce her and try and add some pics of 2DR's that I like the looks of.

Thanks in advance.

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q...pse01a97ed.jpg

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps8451e010.jpg

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps5215fd9a.jpg

Not sure how things work here now...I've been gone awhile. So forgive me if I've erred...

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 4294321)
The TF 2.5" is a great lift. I know from my own experience and others will keep you around 2.5"
The reason why some lifts give more height is the coils are rated for a fully loaded jeep.
The TF coils are going to be rated hire than stock but not as much as say RK's. my 2 door is a full inch more,

No fuss 2.5" I'd go TF :)

Even a 2.5" lift will require major changes in your Jeep. Think about it...

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurtz265 (Post 4307857)
My one piece of advice, right NOW you are saying you dont want too much lift. I can't tell you how many folks here on the forums once said/thought the same thing, went to a leveling kit or a more modest lift, and within a few months found themselves researching 3.5 inch lift kits.

If you are gonna do it, think about it carefully, and err on the side of "too much" rather than "too little"

I would reverse his advice, if you're driving a DD...but that's just me.

NWranglerS 09-06-2013 09:20 PM

Hey kbwwolf, thanks for the insight. You bring up a good point with a 2.5 lift and something to think about.

With that said, with what the Teraflex 2.5 coil lift comes with (Front and Rear Bump Stops, Rear Sway Bar Links, Rear Track Bar Bracket and Rear Brake Line Brackets) if I bought separate shocks, is there anything else I would need to buy?

kurtz265 09-06-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf (Post 4353809)
Not sure how things work here now...I've been gone awhile. So forgive me if I've erred...



Even a 2.5" lift will require major changes in your Jeep. Think about it...



I would reverse his advice, if you're driving a DD...but that's just me.

Just speaking from my personal experience!! Went with 33s, and found myself lusting after 35s within a month

NWranglerS 09-07-2013 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurtz265 (Post 4358521)
Just speaking from my personal experience!! Went with 33s, and found myself lusting after 35s within a month

Yeah, I've had 285/70r17 trail grapplers (I love them) for a few months now and already sometimes wonder if I should have went with 35's. I don't think I could swing selling them and getting 35's... My wife would kill me haha. Looking at pics online I like the look of 35's lifted 2.5".

That's why I have some reservations about getting a 2.5" lift... Will it just eat me up that I don't have 35's?? Ahh the problems of a jeep owner...

kbwwolf 09-07-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurtz265 (Post 4358521)
Just speaking from my personal experience!! Went with 33s, and found myself lusting after 35s within a month

You know what...You're probably right. Far more peeps go the "bigger is better" way, than they do the reverse. I try to advise guys against it, simply cause of the extra expenses and considerations, but it seems like my advice falls on deaf ears. So yeah, OP, if you think you'll wanna go bigger...

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWranglerS (Post 4364353)
Yeah, I've had 285/70r17 trail grapplers (I love them) for a few months now and already sometimes wonder if I should have went with 35's. I don't think I could swing selling them and getting 35's... My wife would kill me haha. Looking at pics online I like the look of 35's lifted 2.5".

That's why I have some reservations about getting a 2.5" lift... Will it just eat me up that I don't have 35's?? Ahh the problems of a jeep owner...

Yup. You might as well go big.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWranglerS (Post 4358025)
Hey kbwwolf, thanks for the insight. You bring up a good point with a 2.5 lift and something to think about.

With that said, with what the Teraflex 2.5 coil lift comes with (Front and Rear Bump Stops, Rear Sway Bar Links, Rear Track Bar Bracket and Rear Brake Line Brackets) if I bought separate shocks, is there anything else I would need to buy?

The TF lift is primo...I'd go with Bilstein shocks, but if you want something adjustable (for softness), then look at Rancho. The Bilsteins are harsh.

As for additional components, that's one of the hazards of lifting in the first place. Depending on how your Jeep drives afterward, you may need some extras. Control arms or track bars...no big deal or expense, really. But just so you're aware...

NWranglerS 09-08-2013 07:59 AM

Say if I were to go with the TF 2.5 BB, would putting on rancho shocks do anything for ride quality? I have always understood it that it's the coils that affect ride quality. So if I decide to go with the BB spacers, is it worth putting new shocks on along with it?

rubisteph 09-08-2013 08:32 AM

I'm with KBWWOLF all the way..... There's a lot more to lifting a Jeep than looks... You start screwing with steering geometry, you affect your gearing, driveline angles and strenght quite a bit, not to mention braking ability.... A budget boost without shocks stretches your stock shocks and renders them basically useless travel wise.

You presently have a perfect offroad machine that was thought out very well by Jeep engineers. Why lessen the perfection by adding spacers, bracketery , and screwing the whole geometry...... But that's just me too.....

Again, bigger lift means longer shocks, dropped t-case and/or longer driveshaft, lower gearing, dropped pitman arm and a whole lotta stuff that will cost an arm and a leg to end up with a lesser Jeep that struggles to turn those big meats, doesn't stop a well as before and consumes 1 1/2 time the gas it once did.... even more so with the shorter 2 door Jeep....

But make it your own brother. After all it's your Jeep !!! You will do what you want anyway, but the best advice I can give you, is keep whatever part you change to be able to go back in the futur...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.