Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Radio Problem (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/radio-problem-28116.html)

jayjysmth 03-21-2009 09:02 PM

Radio Problem

So my wife was driving the Jeep today and she said she pulled up to a stoplight and the radio(Sony Xplod CDX-MP80) quit working. No display, no sound, like power was cut to the headunit.

Well I got to looking and the amp(Sony Xplod) also has no power.

I checked the fuse at the battery and any other fuses I could get to and everything looked ok.

Now to the puzzling part, when I hit eject on the faceplate, the face folds down to eject a cd but when you load a cd and it goes back up the display is black.

I highly doubt both the amp and headunit went out at the same time but I cant find any other blown fuses anywhere.

I still suspect it's a fuse but cant find any blown.

Any ideas?

jdhallissey 03-21-2009 09:12 PM

Did you ever put the radio to a ground? I didn't on mine at first because I thought it was built into the harness but it was not. It worked sometimes then I hooked it to the ground and bam works like a champ.

jayjysmth 03-21-2009 10:08 PM

I have been under the dash all night and cant find a ground.
I didnt install the radio(just got the Jeep last week) or the amp.

Do I need to pull the radio to find the ground?
On previous cars I had the ground in the engine compartment ground to the frame but there isnt a ground up there.

Kind of sucks that I didnt install the radio bc I have no idea how everything was run.

jdhallissey 03-21-2009 10:22 PM

The jeep is just about the easiest radoi I have ever installed. IF you can pull the radio there will be probably a black wire just sitting in the dash that needs to be connected for aftermarket radios to work. On the amp did you check the connections there along with the ground on that? Were is the inline fuse running to the amp at from the battery that might have blown.

jeepjeep 03-21-2009 10:29 PM

radio shit the bed, common on the sony's

jayjysmth 03-21-2009 10:44 PM

Inline fuse is right before the positive is connected to the battery. That fuse is fine.
That's what makes me wonder if there is another fuse that has blown somewhere else.

I will try pullin the radio tomorrow and trying to find the ground.

Does it sound more like a blown fuse to you guys since both the radio and amp quit working at the same time?

orange05tj 03-21-2009 10:54 PM

Sony Explodes, nuff said. I went through 4 of them before I realized, if its from Walmart, it aint good.

jdhallissey 03-21-2009 11:02 PM

that is why I am thinking it is a fuse. There is one on the back of the radio too. That might have blown. Does the amp have a light on it to tell you it is on?

jayjysmth 03-21-2009 11:09 PM

yeah the amp has a power light indicating that it has power.

Could one fuse possibly trigger both the headunit and the amp?

That's what I am hoping for.

jdhallissey 03-21-2009 11:11 PM

So right now if you turn on the jeep the amp does not turn on? IF so then you blew a fuse or dropped a ground. Even both

jayjysmth 03-22-2009 02:17 PM

right, when the jeep starts up neither the amp or radio has any power.

jdhallissey 03-22-2009 06:57 PM

Yea start checking grounds on the radio and amp.

toon.inc 03-22-2009 09:49 PM

ok try looking at your security wires or your remote wire they could have come loose and also inside the headunit will be a fuse if you are willing to look there your self.
in my past audio builds in car sony has been the ones to play up for no reason if you want a cheap good headunit go for like an alpine they are easy to use and worth it