Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Anyone Have/ Heard the Gibson Side Exit Exhaust? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/anyone-have-heard-the-gibson-side-exit-exhaust-2820.html)

keithpeindl 08-30-2006 10:25 PM

Anyone Have/ Heard the Gibson Side Exit Exhaust?

I was looking around on ebay for cat back exhaust kits and really like the Gibson Side exit. I just like having the exhaust come out the side... definetly different. Just wondering if anyone here has it or has heard one running.

mrbigjeep 08-30-2006 10:35 PM

i don't think its gonna sound much different (if any different) if it comes out the side rather than straight out...i thought i had just read somewhere about a jeep with a gibson...maybe it was on this forum...i can't remember...but i have flowmaster and love it! it sounds great

jeeperman 08-31-2006 08:36 AM

Don't have experience with the Gibson side exhaust, but I have had buddies that had side exit exhaust. They installed them to stop smashing their tailpipes flat in the rear... I don't think you will notice a significantly different sound from that than most other freeflowing exhausts.

stainless 08-31-2006 10:11 AM

Gibson and Borla sound the same to me, nice deep sound, not like a flowmaster.

I have horrible luck with tailpipes...no matter where they exit. If they are under the back, i smash them flat on a rock. If the turn out behind the tire, i manage to bend them on a rock till they come straight out the back, then smash them on a rock.
I personally like the idea of a simple turn down just behind the rear axle housing, tucked away from the trail hazards.

mrbigjeep 08-31-2006 10:59 AM

i don't like borla that much because it sounds more like a luxury sports car than a mean offroad jeep...sounds like what would be on a BMW or one of those Mazda RX-8's...flowmaster has more of mean RUMBLE...borlas DO NOT rumble...its a sporty sports car sound

stainless 08-31-2006 11:17 AM

Flows sound good on a V8, they just sound awful on an I-6 or a V6. Kinda makes me think of an outboard motor on a boat struggling to plane out.

Borla, Magnaflow, and Gibson sound good because its a more refined sound as you pointed out. You still get the I-6 gurgle without the popping and cracking that the Flowmaster gives you.

BigJeep-
If you want noise, get a freakin glass pack.

mrbigjeep 08-31-2006 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stainless
Flows sound good on a V8, they just sound awful on an I-6 or a V6. Kinda makes me think of an outboard motor on a boat struggling to plane out.

Borla, Magnaflow, and Gibson sound good because its a more refined sound as you pointed out. You still get the I-6 gurgle without the popping and cracking that the Flowmaster gives you.

BigJeep-
If you want noise, get a freakin glass pack.

did i ever say i wanted more noise?! i just said it has more rumble...glass packs sound like freakin crap on a I-6...and you obviously haven't heard my jeep because it sounds freakin mean!!!!!...my buddy has a magnaflow on his rubicon and it sure beats that crap!!!

keithpeindl 08-31-2006 05:54 PM

Well no matter what I will struggle for a good sound cause mine is a 2.5. Just looking for something that sounds decent but gives more flow for the highway driving and helps with pickup. I had a Flowmaster 40 series on my old Tacoma v-6 and it sounded awesome! I was going to go with one again but really liked the look of the side exit. Anyways I got some time to go. Have to make some extra cash first.

BTW I own a sign shop. We make vinyl signs and car grapics and all that good stuff. Let me know if you guys need anything!!!

mrbigjeep 08-31-2006 08:06 PM

see!...flowmasters don't sound awful on I6's and V6's...cause as i already said mine sounds sweet and mean and this guy liked the flows on his V6...HOWEVER i don't think that the flowmasters sound good on the 2.5...i was looking at cardomain earlier today and i went to a dudes jeep page and he had a sound clip of his 2.5 with a flowmaster 40 and i have to say that it didn't sound good...so if thats the case and you got the 4 banger then go for the borla or gibson...dynomax isn't too bad either...but i know if it were 6 cylinder i'd go with flows for sure...(mines a 6 banger)

amerijeep 08-31-2006 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjeep
see!...flowmasters don't sound awful on I6's and V6's...cause as i already said mine sounds sweet and mean and this guy liked the flows on his V6...HOWEVER i don't think that the flowmasters sound good on the 2.5...i was looking at cardomain earlier today and i went to a dudes jeep page and he had a sound clip of his 2.5 with a flowmaster 40 and i have to say that it didn't sound good...so if thats the case and you got the 4 banger then go for the borla or gibson...dynomax isn't too bad either...but i know if it were 6 cylinder i'd go with flows for sure...(mines a 6 banger)

Relax. Not everyone has your years of jeep experience....:eek:

hardy1531 09-01-2006 12:25 AM

there is not too much to be said after that....:eek:

stainless 09-01-2006 07:51 AM

I........oh hell, nevermind.

I'm just gonna walk away on this one. :rolleyes:

mrbigjeep 09-01-2006 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amerijeep
Relax. Not everyone has your years of jeep experience....:eek:

well i know my exhaust don't sound like crap...thats for sure

WranglerHawg 09-01-2006 09:37 AM

A guy that lives down the street from me has a Gibson, and it sounds pretty good, crisp sounding. Also, i know a guy that runs a flowmaster on his jeep, and i think it sounds awful, like someone said earlier, flowmasters sound great on V8s, but i think they try to produce to much sound out of something that isnt meant to be loud, like an I6. But hey, its all in what you want, right?:cool:

mrbigjeep 09-01-2006 06:53 PM

i guess hes not runnin the flowmaster i got :flipoff: