Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   AEV Procal or Superchips Flashcal (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/aev-procal-or-superchips-flashcal-282041.html)

Knuckles65 09-08-2013 10:23 AM

AEV Procal or Superchips Flashcal

I need to pick up one or the other to reset the tire size (got new tires on the way - 295/70/17).

Is there a benefit of one over the other?

wassup8687 09-08-2013 10:35 AM

I went with the Superchips because of the screen interface vs the dip-switches on the Procal. My speedometer is now perfect with my larger tires.

Cdwright 09-08-2013 10:43 AM

Diablo tuner's trinity product just got the updates for the 2013s jk also

Silverback51 09-08-2013 10:50 AM

I bought the Pro-Cal for my daughters Jeep and mine and it was simple and worked fine.

ElectricJay 09-08-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wassup8687 (Post 4391449)
I went with the Superchips because of the screen interface vs the dip-switches on the Procal. My speedometer is now perfect with my larger tires.

I got Superchip for the same reason and it was cheaper on amazon $143.10.

Amazon.com: Superchips 3570 FlashCal for Jeep Wrangler JK: Automotive

Rooster76 posted this from another thread.

FLASHCAL LINK>Jeep Flashcal
The flashcal is very similar to the $160 AEV procal in features (AEV-ProCal Module). It allows you to set tire, and axle ratios as its bread and butter. It also offers a few other tweaks not related to the engine. Many of those can be done anyways with the steering wheel controls or by doing wheel sequences ( Manual Programming Features with Sequences - Enable / Disable ).

KEY PRODUCT FEATURES: (pasted from web link)
Corrects speedometer for tire upgrades between 22.5 - 44.25
Speedometer recalibration for gear /axle swaps up to 5.38
Locking axle options with transfer case in 4-Hi & 4-Low (2007-10 Rubicon only) NOTE: AEV Procal doesn't have this.
ESP stability optimization (2011-13 automatic transmission models only)
Engine idle adjustability for winching
Street legal TPMS adjustability (Off-Road options available for download)
Daytime running light options (2007-12 models only)
One touch lane change
Radio delay options (2011-13 models only)
Headlamp delay options (2011-13 models only)
Horn chirp and exterior lighting flash options when locking doors with keyless entry ( It can be done easily anyways Manual Programming Features with Sequences - Enable / Disable )
Reads and clears diagnostic trouble codes ( It can be done easily anyways Manual Programming Features with Sequences - Enable / Disable )
Internet updatable

Here's a link for another thread.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/pro...ip-219831.html

Knuckles65 09-11-2013 05:09 PM

Thanks for the posts guys.

I think I'm going with the Superchips version just for the screen vs. dip switches argument.

jkeith00 09-12-2013 07:49 PM

I ordered the Procal. Two days later I discovered the Flashcal so I ordered that too because I'd prefer the screen interface over dip switches. Thought was I'd just return the Procal when it showed up. Flashcal arrived first and I tested it out. Intuitive enough and takes about 30 seconds to make a programming change. Definitely more convenient than looking up dip switch patterns. Problem for me is, it doesn't do DRL on 2013+ JK. Two days later the Procal arrives. Curious about the DRL thing I opened it and tried it out. It activated my DRL's no problem. The dip switches are not as convenient to set, but not difficult in any way. The Procal also programs way faster. Literally one or two seconds after plugging it in.

So here I sit with two units that essentially do the same thing, but are different enough that I will probably just keep them both.

PRS 09-12-2013 08:41 PM

The Flashcal will NOT enable lockers in 4hi like you think it says. Superchips admitted their verbiage is wrong about this.

syant 09-16-2013 05:45 PM

AEV's Procal for Rubicons to disable flashing light

I was favoring Flashcal for reasons already mentioned in this thread until I found it will not work for one the main reasons I wanted to buy it. Rubicon's electronic sway bar has way too many problems. I'm switching to JKS disconnects and plan on selling the electronic sway bar on ebay to help pay for my build.

Once e-bar is removed the dash light will continue to flash. Read on another forum the Superchip's Flashcal would clear this issue, but when I called their customer support line they indicated that it will NOT clear e-bar light. Next call was to AEV who indicated it DOES clear dash light which was the deciding factor in my decision.

This difference may only be worth it for Rubicon owners with same needs as me, but wanted to get this out none the less. Others may prefer Flashcal's screen to Procal's dip switches.

JeepHerz 09-16-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syant (Post 4623673)
I was favoring Flashcal for reasons already mentioned in this thread until I found it will not work for one the main reasons I wanted to buy it. Rubicon's electronic sway bar has way too many problems. I'm switching to JKS disconnects and plan on selling the electronic sway bar on ebay to help pay for my build.

Once e-bar is removed the dash light will continue to flash. Read on another forum the Superchip's Flashcal would clear this issue, but when I called their customer support line they indicated that it will NOT clear e-bar light. Next call was to AEV who indicated it DOES clear dash light which was the deciding factor in my decision.

This difference may only be worth it for Rubicon owners with same needs as me, but wanted to get this out none the less. Others may prefer Flashcal's screen to Procal's dip switches.

X2. The Procal does indeed re-set the sway bar. We added the e-disco to my Sport- and used the Procal to "recognize" it. The dealer wanted $100- and wasn't sure they could even do it. Worked like a charm. We bring the Procal with us on trails in case the Rubi e-disco gets...finicky.

StarBrite 10-15-2013 08:22 AM

Sorry to resurrect this from the dead...

Looking for an option that will allow two jeeps to be reprogrammed. From another thread it sounds like AEV isn't error proof for using on a second jeep. Not trying to rip off the manufacturer, just looking for a solution that will allow both Mike and I to reprogram tire size, speedo, TPMS, etc. Has anyone found one? I tried searching, but didn't find any good answer. If I missed it, I apologize.

Surprised that none of the companies have wised up and created an option to SELL access for additional VINs.

Thanks!

jdambm 10-15-2013 11:03 AM

StarBrite both of these are VIN specific so you are going to have to purchase one for each of your collection. There are also problems posting with used or second hand purchases saying that they have been reset, and no longer working.

RubiChick 10-27-2013 06:29 PM

I just got the super chips flashcal ... do I need to leave it on the whole time cuz I disconnected it after I reprogrammed it...eeekk

RubiChick 10-28-2013 09:20 AM

So even with the superchips my speedo is off by 3mph ... when the car speedo was saying 65mph the portable was showing 63mph ... I had it set at 35" and 4.10 ratio ... do I need to change the transfer case low/high? Currently it's set at 1.00 ... any help would be appreciated thanks guys

Catmando 10-28-2013 10:59 AM

RubiChick,

You may be off a tad on your tire size. Most 35" tires are not actually 35". You may want to measure the diameter yourself or look up the tire spec on the manufactures website. By using the actual tire size the speedo should fall closer to the correct speed.

RubiChick 10-29-2013 08:57 AM

Okay so for my 35" Pro Comp MT2 the actual size is 34.5 I reprogrammed it to 34.5 and it's still off. I changed it to 34" how is it this gonna affect the gear ratio? acceleration etc? Should I leave it at 34.5 and be off by 2mph or 34 and be spot on mph?

KrawlOff-Road.com 10-29-2013 10:00 AM

We sell both and have ran both. So I wont go over the differences. They are both the same price with free shipping:

AEV:
AEV JK ProCal Module '07-14

SuperChips:
Superchips FlashCal Programmer, JK 2011-13

Like stated, you will need one for each JK. They lock the VIN and can not be used on more than one VIN at a time.

Also, like stated, you have to measure the actual tire size, as it sits. Most people have to take 1 or 2 tries to get it right. Hope that helps!

-Jason

tae73 10-29-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubiChick (Post 5732098)
Okay so for my 35" Pro Comp MT2 the actual size is 34.5 I reprogrammed it to 34.5 and it's still off. I changed it to 34" how is it this gonna affect the gear ratio? acceleration etc? Should I leave it at 34.5 and be off by 2mph or 34 and be spot on mph?

I had the same issue, I just keep dropping till it the speedometer matched the gps speed. My tires measured out right around 34.5 but had to set the flashcal to 33.75 to make it match.

RubiChick 10-29-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tae73 (Post 5739354)
I had the same issue, I just keep dropping till it the speedometer matched the gps speed. My tires measured out right around 34.5 but had to set the flashcal to 33.75 to make it match.

I have mine set at 33.50 and now it's good. How does this affect how the jeep drives?

FXnut 10-30-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarBrite (Post 5378465)
Sorry to resurrect this from the dead...

Looking for an option that will allow two jeeps to be reprogrammed. From another thread it sounds like AEV isn't error proof for using on a second jeep. Not trying to rip off the manufacturer, just looking for a solution that will allow both Mike and I to reprogram tire size, speedo, TPMS, etc. Has anyone found one? I tried searching, but didn't find any good answer. If I missed it, I apologize.

Surprised that none of the companies have wised up and created an option to SELL access for additional VINs.

Thanks!

From my AEV Procal manual, page 2 of 10..

"The module will lock to a vehicle's VIN number and may not be used on another vehicle until the "RESTORE" function is used on the original vehicle. The "RESTORE" function will reset a vehicles default settings to stock and unlock the module for use in another vehicle."

So it appears that's how they get ya.. You can use it on another vehicle, BUT you have to clear whatever was changed on the original back to stock before it will reset..

Glenntpr01 01-09-2014 07:28 AM

Men i am getting 10 mpg on a 2013 with 2.5 tf, bilsteins 5100 and 295/70/18 nittos..... I havent adjusted the tire size to the speedometer yet and i am hoping that the adjustment will help get better mpg.... 10 mpg is just.......

gixxerbrad 01-13-2014 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenntpr01 (Post 7303289)
Men i am getting 10 mpg on a 2013 with 2.5 tf, bilsteins 5100 and 295/70/18 nittos..... I havent adjusted the tire size to the speedometer yet and i am hoping that the adjustment will help get better mpg.... 10 mpg is just.......

I think you're confused. I don't think one has anything to do with the other........... Or maybe everyone else is confused and you just cracked the secret code for free gas for life. Keep us posted......

wassup8687 01-13-2014 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gixxerbrad (Post 7420377)
I think you're confused. I don't think one has anything to do with the other........... Or maybe everyone else is confused and you just cracked the secret code for free gas for life. Keep us posted......

If you put on bigger tires and don't do the adjustment the mileage will be lower because the odometer is off showing less miles than actually traveled.

Glenntpr01 01-16-2014 12:33 PM

ordered a FlashCal... will post results soon...

Ricks Rubicon 01-16-2014 07:28 PM

I was looking at the Flashcal also. Will any of the handheld programmers enable the lockers in 4HI?

HK_Runner 01-16-2014 07:34 PM

I did the RESTORE on mine since I am getting a 2014 soon. Will it work on the 2014s? It worked on the 2012.

1john22 04-10-2014 07:14 AM

Hey all... I would love to know if this has happened to you and what I should do. So over the weekend I had Trick Trucks install the Superchip Flashcal in my 2013 JKU. They are the ones who originally did the install on my 35's. Not once when they did the install did they offer this product, which I thought was weird now that they say I needed it all along. Only reason why I took it back to Trick Trucks was because the Jeep dealership saw that my alignment was way off. So this morning I get into the Jeep and all 4 tire pressure lights are flashing and my low tire pressure light was on. Now what I was told by Trick Trucks this chip was supposed to take care of all that. Anybody have the same problems and if so what did you do?

Utahpete 04-10-2014 08:07 AM

The TPMS function does not work right on the Flashcal on the 2013 Wranglers
I have talked to Superchips and they are working on a fix but have no date yet for a solution.
They will be here in Moab next week and I will really lean on them about a fix

Pete