Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Jeeps rough idle (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/jeeps-rough-idle-283193.html)

Mikes jeep 09-08-2013 09:14 PM

Jeeps rough idle

Ok so a few days ago my jeep started acting funny first as I was driving I noticed the voltage was rising as I accelerated and the check gauges light came on I got home shut it off and tried to start it again and I got nothing no turn over no click zero after a few tries it started I cleaned the battery cables and had the alternator and battery checked they were fine. After the cleaning it hasn't done it since but a new development started its running really rough at start up it runs fine at highway speeds but at idle it sputters and the Rpms bounce a little. I have already cleaned the iac and throttle body, ran cleaner through
The injectors. Checked the spark plugs still running rough am I missing something. Any
Help would be greatly appreciated

Mikes jeep 09-08-2013 09:23 PM

Forgot to mention its a 03 tj automatic 4.0 with 94.000 on it always ran Mobil one synthetic.

Mikes jeep 09-09-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikes jeep (Post 4406441)
Ok so a few days ago my jeep started acting funny first as I was driving I noticed the voltage was rising as I accelerated and the check gauges light came on I got home shut it off and tried to start it again and I got nothing no turn over no click zero after a few tries it started I cleaned the battery cables and had the alternator and battery checked they were fine. After the cleaning it hasn't done it since but a new development started its running really rough at start up it runs fine at highway speeds but at idle it sputters and the Rpms bounce a little. I have already cleaned the iac and throttle body, ran cleaner through
The injectors. Checked the spark plugs still running rough am I missing something. Any
Help would be greatly appreciated

Update:
This morning the check engine light came on code p0304 misfire number 4 cylinder

Jerry Bransford 09-09-2013 09:33 AM

I'm thinking bad 02 sensor or bad pre-catalytic converter. Mine did the same thing.

Mikes jeep 09-09-2013 10:22 PM

Turns out it was bad plugs I replaced them last year I guess it didn't like the ones I got put in new ones today and check engine light turned off and it started idling better than when I got it

Endoftheroad4x4 09-09-2013 10:25 PM

Distributor cap? And wires?

Mikes jeep 09-09-2013 11:06 PM

No cap or wires on an 03

rkulp89 09-09-2013 11:46 PM

Were your gaps set right when you replaced last or did u just drop them in?

Mikes jeep 09-10-2013 07:44 AM

They were set right last year before I replaced them yesterday I even took them out to check again they didn't look that bad to me kinda ashy but not all blackened

louczar 09-10-2013 08:26 AM

I call foul :-)

Endoftheroad4x4 09-10-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikes jeep (Post 4436425)
Turns out it was bad plugs I replaced them last year I guess it didn't like the ones I got put in new ones today and check engine light turned off and it started idling better than when I got it

Were they Bosch double platinum plugs?

Mikes jeep 09-10-2013 07:57 PM

Ya when I got it I didn't know much about keeps thought the more expensive ones would be better. Drove the jeeps today still has a little rough spot but no where near as bad as it was