Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Communications and Electronics (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/)
-   -   Best 2ohm speakers (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/best-2ohm-speakers-283305.html)

Beeg 09-08-2013 10:10 PM

Best 2ohm speakers

As everyone already knows the factory Alpine speakers suck, what are the best 2ohm speakers?

Jerry Bransford 09-09-2013 12:51 AM

Why is the speaker impedence that important to you and, especially, why would you want 2 ohm speakers?

Mattk11 09-09-2013 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeg (Post 4408225)
As everyone already knows the factory Alpine speakers suck, what are the best 2ohm speakers?

The question isn't "what is the best 2ohm" it is "who makes a 2ohm after market speaker?"

There just aren't many choices out there. Kicker has a drop in replacement but it does not have a separate component tweeter. I think infinity might make a set. That is all I know of.

To answer the other person. The only reason you would need a 2ohm speaker is to keep the factory amp which is rated at 2ohms per channel and underpowered at that. If you put in 4ohm speakers, you are effectively cutting power in half and making your stereo more quiet, not louder or clearer.

Jerry Bransford 09-09-2013 09:28 AM

I understand amps, speakers, & impedences, I built my first stereo amp back in the 60's and could give the formula for impedence from memory. I just haven't seen any amps that only had a 2 ohm output tap where the only speaker impedence choice was 2 ohms. And connecting a 2 ohm speaker just to try to get the amp to put out more power isn't the way to go unless the amp was specifically designed for that low of an impedence.

woansleftpeg 09-09-2013 09:40 AM

Infinity Kappas are about the only half decent option I can think of, but as Matt says you'll find that good 2 ohm speakers are fairly uncommon. If you're trying to improve the sound while retaining the stock amp, you're pursuing an impossible dream - the output of the factory amp is too anaemic to get a decent set of speakers into their optimum operating zone.

Beeg 09-09-2013 10:22 AM

Thanks for the replys, I think I am going to look into replacing the amp and run 4ohm speakers.

Mattk11 09-09-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 4416081)
I understand amps, speakers, & impedences, I built my first stereo amp back in the 60's and could give the formula for impedence from memory. I just haven't seen any amps that only had a 2 ohm output tap where the only speaker impedence choice was 2 ohms. And connecting a 2 ohm speaker just to try to get the amp to put out more power isn't the way to go unless the amp was specifically designed for that low of an impedence.

Well then you haven't seen the stock infinity/alpine amp. It is measured at 2 ohms to all 8 channels and the stock speakers are all 2ohm including the sub that has a dual 2 ohm voice coil.

panthermark 09-09-2013 05:41 PM

Yeah, the factory Premium amps in the JK's run at two ohms for all channels. Very rare...but that is what we are stuck with.

The Kicker's (77Kick10's) are 4 ohms....which is pretty dumb for a Mopar drop in....and I was dumb for buying them.

The Infinity Kappa's are about the only ones I know of as well.

Mattk11 09-09-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panthermark (Post 4427625)
Yeah, the factory Premium amps in the JK's run at two ohms for all channels. Very rare...but that is what we are stuck with.

The Kicker's (77Kick10's) are 4 ohms....which is pretty dumb for a Mopar drop in....and I was dumb for buying them.

The Infinity Kappa's are about the only ones I know of as well.

Oh I thought the kickers would be 2ohms. That means the so called drop ins will be getting about 8 watts each. Nice. I guess they want you to buy the underpowered kicker amp too.

Beeg 09-09-2013 09:24 PM

Is there any way to add an amp behind the factory one via a wiring harness, without having to go directly to the head unit?

woansleftpeg 09-09-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeg (Post 4434569)
Is there any way to add an amp behind the factory one via a wiring harness, without having to go directly to the head unit?

You don't need a wiring harness for it, you can just take the speaker outputs from the factory amp and either convert them using a line output converter or connect them directly to an amp that has speaker level inputs. It probably isn't recommended though, the sound from the stock HU is poor enough - processing it twice might not do nice things to the end product.

Dannyj4446 09-16-2013 08:13 AM

If you wire the speakers in series you can effectively drop the ohms to 2 ohm. At least I think it's series if not its parallel . You will lose your left and right balance in the soundbar but you really don't need it.

woansleftpeg 09-16-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannyj4446 (Post 4610849)
If you wire the speakers in series you can effectively drop the ohms to 2 ohm. At least I think it's series if not its parallel . You will lose your left and right balance in the soundbar but you really don't need it.

Wiring in series will double the total impedance, parallel will halve it. It's good thinking, but it's still a bit of a kluge.

Jerry Bransford 09-16-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannyj4446 (Post 4610849)

Not only is Woansleftpeg correct about wiring in series increasing the impedance, not dropping it, wiring your soundbar speakers in series would also mean you'd lose your stereo sound. That's clearly not what you want to do. :)