Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   My new to me rubicon (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/my-new-to-me-rubicon-283425.html)

Bierman7 09-09-2013 12:46 AM

My new to me rubicon

2 Attachment(s)
Just brought this home yesterday.. already planning for future mods and how to afford them all.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Nissantech 09-09-2013 01:21 AM

Man that's a nice rubi!!! Love the blue! Yeah I know what ya mean I started planing the hour before I got mine lol and now I spend hours on the toilet lookin threw catalogs planing my next purchase lol!!

EN3RGIX 09-09-2013 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nissantech (Post 4410713)
Man that's a nice rubi!!! Love the blue! Yeah I know what ya mean I started planing the hour before I got mine lol and now I spend hours on the toilet lookin threw catalogs planing my next purchase lol!!

I know what you mean. I started planning my mods before I was even approved for my loan, haha!

Not bad looking at all.
Is the winch operational? It looks like it has seen better (rust free) days.

Bierman7 09-09-2013 02:48 AM

The winch does work just a littlw rough looking... lol

jeepwayoflife 09-09-2013 02:50 AM

Nice jeep! I'd take those chrome steps off the side. It will look much better with just the Rubicon sliders :thumb:

GingerTJ 09-09-2013 09:00 AM

Sure needs a lift! Nice jeep though. 4" lift on the mind?

SinfulDragon 09-09-2013 09:15 AM

well you certainly have plenty of forward lighting!!
I like the Jeep itself a lot. I'm not thrilled with the extras that are on it but that's the wonderful thing, they only have to appease you!

Bierman7 09-09-2013 09:22 AM

Yes a 4 inch lift and some 33s are in its future.. once I decide on brand to go with.. any suggestions would be appriciated.

Ya im not to sure how I feel about all the lights.. Although they were usefule when some d!#& decided to ride my butt with his high beams on.. I slowed to a almost crawl then he passed me... then all the lights came on.. they were all aimed perfectly into his car.

GingerTJ 09-09-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bierman7 (Post 4414633)
Yes a 4 inch lift and some 33s are in its future.. once I decide on brand to go with.. any suggestions would be appriciated.

Ya im not to sure how I feel about all the lights.. Although they were usefule when some d!#& decided to ride my butt with his high beams on.. I slowed to a almost crawl then he passed me... then all the lights came on.. they were all aimed perfectly into his car.

Everyone is gonna tell you different but my top 3 are- teraflex, zone and old man emu. Zone being best deal on cash

jeepwayoflife 09-09-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GingerTJ (Post 4415705)

Everyone is gonna tell you different but my top 3 are- teraflex, zone and old man emu. Zone being best deal on cash

No Currie?

TJDave 09-09-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bierman7 (Post 4410265)
Just brought this home yesterday.. already planning for future mods and how to afford them all.

Congrats. Very nice Jeep. Mods will come for sure. If it were mine, I would sell the lights & mount, nerf bars, and the deer holder up front. Use the cash for something more useful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nissantech (Post 4410713)
......... now I spend hours on the toilet lookin threw catalogs....

I could of lived the rest of my life without knowing that! :)

GingerTJ 09-09-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepwayoflife (Post 4415849)

No Currie?

Curtis is nice too! Ok top 4. They are alot of cash tough

Ironhead Jed 09-09-2013 11:09 AM

looks great, but i'd take off the nerf bars and the top light bar

is this your first jeep? there is a lot of work to run a 4" lift, reading through catalogs is not a good idea as they are written by marketing teams and the top promoted ones are the items that the parts warehouse makes the most money on, not the best products

since yours is a rubicon, you dont have a slip yolk to eliminate, but would still require a CV driveshaft when going to a 4" lift, which would also include the need for adj rear control arms. right there is an extra grand on top of most lifts

personally, Currie/savvy, OME, BDS, and MC then everyone else and Currie/savvy is the only "kit" i would buy, all of the other manufacturers have some good pieces, but not a complete kit of quality parts. the best lifts are usually made up of quality parts that are pieced together for your needs

Bierman7 09-09-2013 11:44 AM

Yes this is my first jeep. And ive been reading on here about different lift kits. Although id love to spend everything I own for a crazy lift kit.. I do have to live in the real world. I know spend now and you dont have to spend later. Ive been eyeing the zone 4.25" combo lift kit. From my limited knowledge on this sort of stuff seems to be a good for the price kit. Thoughts?

Ironhead Jed 09-09-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bierman7 (Post 4417993)
Yes this is my first jeep. And ive been reading on here about different lift kits. Although id love to spend everything I own for a crazy lift kit.. I do have to live in the real world. I know spend now and you dont have to spend later. Ive been eyeing the zone 4.25" combo lift kit. From my limited knowledge on this sort of stuff seems to be a good for the price kit. Thoughts?

my thoughts would be to slow down, do a lot of reading and plan out your lift. mine is nowhere near complete, but i keep adding things that will stay on my rig for a long time. I couldnt drop $3k on a complete kit so i grabbed some 2" BDS springs and fox shocks for ~$500 and did a 1.25" bl and 1" mml, then added rear control arms, then a TT and new drive shaft, then a AR, then brakes and steering, etc... a year and a half later and my jeep is still nowhere near done, but i have added nothing but high end parts and my jeep rides like a dream

a good build plan can save you a ton of money and keep your jeep running well the whole time.

forgot to add, when changing tire size, add an extra $100 for an electronic speedometer correction device

pcwolf 09-09-2013 03:49 PM

1)Dump the chrome and "Close Encounters" lights unless you are going to drive the Baja at 70MPH.

2)Drive it until you find a limitation, then consider that one thing only until you solve it.

3) Can't go wrong with armor first.
My armor: steering box, radiator, engine/oilpan, transmission tuck, gastank, sliders

Bangert 09-09-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepwayoflife (Post 4411457)
Nice jeep! I'd take those chrome steps off the side. It will look much better with just the Rubicon sliders :thumb:

I have the same ones.. They help my girlfriend to get in and they're good to stop tub damage

Bierman7 09-10-2013 01:12 PM

I know ill have to correct the speedo. Ive done some research for this project. I never rush into big projects and always take my time with making sure I do it correctly. I had been looking for this jeep for months till I found the exact one I wanted. Ill probably be taking down the chrome lights but I like the lights on the bumbers.
As for the lift im not going crazy with this jeep its a daily driver and will be mildly off roaded on weekends so I dont need to spend a huge amount for top brand parts, if I start getting more serious about off roading ill spend as needed to upgrade parts. My drive to work is only 15 mins away so ride comfort isnt to much of an issue. I want to run 33s by 12.5 tires so a 3-4 inch lift will allow that. Thats why ive been looking at the zone 4.25 combo lift kit. So I wont have to change any other parts besides the speedo.

Bierman7 09-23-2013 10:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Looking better without the chrome lights and side steps.

Ironhead Jed 09-23-2013 10:45 AM

looks great. I wouldnt say any budget kit is complete, and other parts are usually needed to do it right and have a quality ride on and off road for a long time.

you dont actually change the speedo with a rubi, you have to modify the electronics by adding a speedohealer, yellow box, etc. a bit more expensive upfront, but allows for simple adjustments to account for changes in gearing or tire size

Rude Dog 09-23-2013 03:33 PM

If you have need for the over head lights you could Plasti dip the light frame black .. and possibly the lights as well? Not sure if the the chrome housings would get hot enough to melt the Plasti dip??? Still don't like em, then take em off... just a thought for little ... to no out of pocket money...

Marcwakefield22 09-23-2013 03:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 372105

You have my TJs twin! Ha but what did you do with all those over head lights?? Wanna get rid of any of them?? Haha

Marcwakefield22 09-23-2013 03:55 PM

And if you wanna see the 33s on a 4" lift that's what mine is. Ill post some more photos if you want

Bierman7 10-10-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcwakefield22 (Post 4798105)
Attachment 372105

You have my TJs twin! Ha but what did you do with all those over head lights?? Wanna get rid of any of them?? Haha

the lights at the moment are sitting in my shed.. thinking about painting them black or selling them still undecided. Tho

Bierman7 10-10-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcwakefield22 (Post 4798121)
And if you wanna see the 33s on a 4" lift that's what mine is. Ill post some more photos if you want

I would appreciate seeing your tj.

Marcwakefield22 10-10-2013 01:04 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Attachment 419865

Attachment 419873

Attachment 419881

Attachment 419889

Here ya go!

Marcwakefield22 10-10-2013 01:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 419897

Marcwakefield22 10-10-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bierman7 (Post 5250273)
the lights at the moment are sitting in my shed.. thinking about painting them black or selling them still undecided. Tho Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Ahh ok

Rubi513 10-10-2013 01:48 PM

Nice Rubi. Color and all:)

Rude Dog 10-11-2013 07:14 PM

When you have a nice size culvert running through your property and occasionly when come home you wheel thru it in 2 wheel drive for a small quick challenge.