Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Gas Plate question !?!?!? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/gas-plate-question-28408.html)

Go_Wrangler 03-28-2009 03:41 PM

Gas Plate question !?!?!?

:banghead: Might sound dumb but... I never messed with the gas plate before... I just got my rear bumper in the mail today, it looks like it screws in from behind the frame, in order for me to put the bolts in to hook it up its gonna be easier if i take out the gas plate, but I think the gas tank is still gonna be in the way anyway :banghead: Anyway, I took out the bolts holding the gas plate on one side and when I got to the last one bolt the tank just seem to drop, the only thing that seem to be holding it was the other set of bolts towards the front on the car... If I take out those bolts will the tank drop, is there anything else holding it? (I don't want it to come down on me) it was hard enough pushing the rear side of the plate back up and putting the bolts back... I left the bumper installation for tomorrow, idk what Im getting into.... ANY TIPS I gotta get this stupid bumper in ...

Coyote_94YJ 03-28-2009 04:06 PM

The gas tank is secured by straps to that skid plate so if you undo the 3 bolts in the front and the 4 in the back the whole thing will fall to the ground. You'll need to undo the breather line on top of the tank and the filler neck to get the tank out. The best way to lower the tank is with a block of wood and a roll around floor jack and a buddy to try and balance it on the jack.

Go_Wrangler 03-28-2009 04:13 PM

Ok thanks I'll try that

Coyote_94YJ 03-28-2009 04:25 PM

The 2 tubes on the side are your filler neck. There is a small vacuum line that goes to the top that vents fumes to your carbon canister that needs to come off too. I forgot to mention you'll also need to disconnect the wire to the fuel pump and the fuel lines. If you get the filler neck tubes off and lower the tank some you should be able to get to the others and then lower the tank all the way and slide it out.

whiteyj 03-28-2009 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coyote_94yj (Post 345355)
The 2 tubes on the side are your filler neck. There is a small vacuum line that goes to the top that vents fumes to your carbon canister that needs to come off too. I forgot to mention you'll also need to disconnect the wire to the fuel pump and the fuel lines. If you get the filler neck tubes off and lower the tank some you should be able to get to the others and then lower the tank all the way and slide it out.

X2 & Make it easier doing it once the tank is near empty! Much easier to manipulate it on the jack and in-between stages.

lblair04 03-30-2009 01:21 AM

I just built a new rear bumper for mine and I put a jack under the skid plate, and put a little pressure on it and took the nuts off. I didnt disconnect any filler tubes or anything and just let it come down a few inches so I could get my hand back there...it did not screw anything up and is a lot easier than trying to take the whole tank out!! I also had a full tank which was easier to lower since it had weight. I wouldnt mess around with taking it all out IMHO

amerijeep 03-30-2009 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lblair04 (Post 346107)
I just built a new rear bumper for mine and I put a jack under the skid plate, and put a little pressure on it and took the nuts off. I didnt disconnect any filler tubes or anything and just let it come down a few inches so I could get my hand back there...it did not screw anything up and is a lot easier than trying to take the whole tank out!! I also had a full tank which was easier to lower since it had weight. I wouldnt mess around with taking it all out IMHO

I agree. When I installed my rear bumper a few years ago, I used the same method you describe. I didn't pull or disconnect anything and I mounted the rear bumper in under half an hour.

Go_Wrangler 03-31-2009 01:18 PM

Well its in! I didnt unscrew anything, left the tank just were ut was I just crawled under and worked with the little space I had and used my hands to figure out where the hole was then just used a socket wrench, took me many tries, the screw kept falling but i think it was worth it