Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   gas smell problems (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/gas-smell-problems-284697.html)

k177 09-09-2013 06:06 PM

gas smell problems
 
Whenever I fill my tank up there is a strong odor. It was like that when I bought it but after I fix one gas issue I seem to get more. First it was a clogged fuel filter that caused leaking. Then it was the rat living in my frame that ate through the lines. I've located where the smell is coming from, just don't know the problem or fix.

It seems to be coming from the left rear end where the filler hose is. There is also another hose that runs past the filler hose, same size as filler. Is anything suppose to go on that hose? All fuel lines have just been replaced 2 weeks ago including filler hose. No leaks just unbearable smell

jokerchief462 09-09-2013 09:08 PM

Can't see any other info from the phone so here is my best shot. The hoses unless you already replaced them are old. Time for new rubber lines. Full, overflow and any vent lines from tank to the hard lines in the frame in front if the axle. So run it low and get ready to drop the tank. Floor jack and a piece if plywood will drop it unless your young and manhandle it.

k177 09-09-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jokerchief462 (Post 4433833)
Can't see any other info from the phone so here is my best shot. The hoses unless you already replaced them are old. Time for new rubber lines. Full, overflow and any vent lines from tank to the hard lines in the frame in front if the axle. So run it low and get ready to drop the tank. Floor jack and a piece if plywood will drop it unless your young and manhandle it.

Every soft line was replaced 2 weeks ago front and back. Does anything hookup to the top of the line that runs behind the left taillights? Not the filler hose but the other one

JJYJ 09-09-2013 11:33 PM

Are you are referring to the vent hose that goes from filler neck to the tank? I have heard one solution to the smell is to only fill up until the gas pump shuts off. Don't add anymore after.

I have an 87 and I would get the smell intermittently while driving. It was my rollover valve which is located on the passenger side next to the tail light. I don't know what year yours is but I think newer yj's have the rollover valve attached to the tank itself.

k177 09-10-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJYJ (Post 4438265)
Are you are referring to the vent hose that goes from filler neck to the tank? I have heard one solution to the smell is to only fill up until the gas pump shuts off. Don't add anymore after.

I have an 87 and I would get the smell intermittently while driving. It was my rollover valve which is located on the passenger side next to the tail light. I don't know what year yours is but I think newer yj's have the rollover valve attached to the tank itself.

Mine is a 87 4.2 its coming from the drivers side(left). When I had the tank dropped there where two hoses on the left side. One which is to fill the tank and one ran up past the fill hose. Even when I fill the tank till it stops I still have the smell. When my tank drops under half full the smell goes away.

western196611 09-10-2013 06:29 AM

The other hose by the fill hose is the vent hose, I had a similar smell but I have 2 small lines on the top of my tank. one had worked it's way off.

k177 09-10-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by western196611 (Post 4441057)
The other hose by the fill hose is the vent hose, I had a similar smell but I have 2 small lines on the top of my tank. one had worked it's way off.

What goes on the top of that vent hose? I'm gunna go out on a limb and say nothing is connected on mine. I had the tank half dropped out yesterday. The two small hoses(the main fuel line and vent) are attached no leaks at all. I have a tiny bit of rtv on both those lines to ensure no falling off or leaks. There is no clogs or blockage in the lines either. But the two big hoses of the vent and filler are showing signs of dryrot. No cracking or leaks I've been looking for replacements but I've had no luck.

Megamonster 09-10-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k177 (Post 4441681)

What goes on the top of that vent hose? I'm gunna go out on a limb and say nothing is connected on mine. I had the tank half dropped out yesterday. The two small hoses(the main fuel line and vent) are attached no leaks at all. I have a tiny bit of rtv on both those lines to ensure no falling off or leaks. There is no clogs or blockage in the lines either. But the two big hoses of the vent and filler are showing signs of dryrot. No cracking or leaks I've been looking for replacements but I've had no luck.

http://www.mtscompany.com/jeep.htm

Go to the YJ section.

western196611 09-10-2013 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megamonster (Post 4441833)

Nice link!!

western196611 09-10-2013 08:04 AM

I'm guessing that the 2 lines on mine (holes shown in the pics on the link) are my tank vent lines, not to be confused with the filler vent hose.

k177 09-10-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megamonster (Post 4441833)

http://www.mtscompany.com/jeep.htm

Go to the YJ section.

Thanks for the link, but I still need to know what the big vent hose connects to? I know the bottom goes to the tank but what's ontop? It can't be nothing right?

Megamonster 09-10-2013 09:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
They connect to to the gas pump receptacle.

Attachment 332809

k177 09-10-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megamonster (Post 4444161)
They connect to to the gas pump receptacle.

Well shit that now explains my gas smell and why I drip gas parked up steep hills on a overfull tank. From the quick glance I just took the vent hose isn't attached to the base and the spot for it on the receptacle isn't there. I guess I can chalk that up to something else that broke during my roll over.

Now for the problem fixing question lol. Where can I buy another receptacle that goes behind the license plate?

JJYJ 09-10-2013 10:07 AM

Like Megamonster said. On mine, 2.5l, the vent hose connects at the top of the filler neck, above the fill hose. Just reach up and feel for the nipple. I had to replace my whole filler neck due to a PO (or thief) having destroyed where the gas cap connects.

MTS Company has stuff that others don't. That's where I found my rollover valve rubber connector. Expensive though.

JJYJ 09-10-2013 10:10 AM

I couldn't find a new one anywhere and ended up getting a used one on ebay.

I doubt you broke it. Has it been doing it since you got the jeep? If so I would say the PO put on the wrong filler neck.!

k177 09-10-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJYJ (Post 4445033)
I couldn't find a new one anywhere and ended up getting a used one on ebay.

I doubt you broke it. Has it been doing it since you got the jeep? If so I would say the PO put on the wrong filler neck.!

Hasnt been doing it since I got it although it had different gas problems when I purchased it. The PO was some spoiled brat with daddies money had a small mansion and 4 amg Mercedes then the yj I was lucky enough to save it. I got more then a deal buying it lol. $3800 for a 87 with only 60,000 original miles 2 hard tops 3 full soft tops a half soft top new tires a extra set of new tires on new rims and a new set of 5 35's super swampers. I'd be stupid if I let that get away.

Anyway back on topic, it was probably something I broke when I rolled. I've been having vacuum and gas issues since the roll. I did a large amount of damage, but hey rolling 5 times down a 60ft slope would break a few things lol. I'm slowly fixing one problem at a time. I'll have to make a junkyard trip this weekend.

I'll see if that fixes the smell, if not I'll be back asking for more help. Thanks

sevenservices 09-10-2013 10:39 AM

one thing I ran into was a pin hole in my line by the left rear tire. I'd smell it all the time but never saw it drip or noticed anything wet.

It was spraying out the line and running down the frame, It wasn't until my neighbor looked under it while I hit the gas that we seen it. Normally at idle it would not leak. Hit the throttle and she'd start to squirt.

JJYJ 09-10-2013 10:57 AM

WOW!!! and that's wow to the deal and the roll!

If you broke it you should be able to feel the broken nipple or a whole where it used to be. If I remember right the nipple is like 2 inches long. While you wait for a new part you might be able to plug off the vent hose (but remember to unplug it when filling up). Not sure about the total function of the vent other than venting while filling up. I'm a newb so a pro needs to chime in on that though. Or zip tie the hose to the fill hose so it raised up to try to keep fuel from running out. Just an idea.

k177 09-10-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJYJ (Post 4446161)
WOW!!! and that's wow to the deal and the roll!

If you broke it you should be able to feel the broken nipple or a whole where it used to be. If I remember right the nipple is like 2 inches long. While you wait for a new part you might be able to plug off the vent hose (but remember to unplug it when filling up). Not sure about the total function of the vent other than venting while filling up. I'm a newb so a pro needs to chime in on that though. Or zip tie the hose to the fill hose so it raised up to try to keep fuel from running out. Just an idea.

I just took my taillight out and felt around. The hose is broken off. There is a hole where the nipple should be. So I'll try plugging both ends up and refilling the tank to see if that stops the smell. Would also explain why I would drip gas when I would overfill the tank and park facing up a hill

Megamonster 09-10-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k177 (Post 4446481)
I just took my taillight out and felt around. The hose is broken off. There is a hole where the nipple should be. So I'll try plugging both ends up and refilling the tank to see if that stops the smell. Would also explain why I would drip gas when I would overfill the tank and park facing up a hill

Glad that it helps. My gas tank had a leak so I am becoming more comfortable with that area than I would like.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 PM.