Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Jeep gremlins (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/jeep-gremlins-285553.html)

AsimpsonJk 09-10-2013 08:57 AM

Jeep gremlins

Well I jinxed myself by say I haven't had any of the gremlins yet with my jeep. Well this morning went to start my 2012 sport and nothing but click. Dealer thinks it the starter solenoid shorted out killing my battery and the starter. Thankfully it's still under full warranty. But the dealer I use doesn't pay for rental so that's coming out of pocket unless i want to get my insurance involved. And just in time for my high rock 4x4 bumper with carrier to get delivered. And now it's sitting in the garage until I get the jeep back from the dealer.

Off Pavement 09-10-2013 10:17 AM

My 87 YJ had a starting gremlin that ultimately got it traded. It went on for months. Would start fine, then just not start but turned over fine. It happened everywhere but in my garage at home so I had replaced just about everything it seemed until the day it wouldn't start in my garage. Good I think... I'll find it once and for all. So I trouble shoot the problem, bought the "broken" replacement part and installed it, Jeep started and ran great for weeks until...

It was a dark and snowy night when my wife asked me to go to the store for sugar. Sure! I love drivin' in the snow with the Jeep so off I go. Only problem, I forgot my wallet so only had the money in my pocket which ended up being the exact amount I needed for the sugar. Got back in the Jeep and you guessed it... no start. I'm out of change for a phone call (before the days of cell phones ya know), so I trudge home the mile in the snow and call a wrecker to take said Jeep to dealer for them to once and for all fix my problem.

I met the wrecker and before he pulled it on the deck, I checked to be sure it still didn't start, but when the Jeep got unloaded at the dealer, they started it right up... I bought a new '97 TJ on the spot.

TOK 09-10-2013 11:26 AM

If the battery checks out (load test, not just voltage) I'd be more inclined to think the starter itself is the culprit. It can dump the battery voltage to ground.

I thought a shorted starter solenoid usually means it sticks closed and keeps spinning the starter even after the engine is running. The sound that makes will scare the crap out of you.

AsimpsonJk 09-10-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOK (Post 4446833)
If the battery checks out (load test, not just voltage) I'd be more inclined to think the starter itself is the culprit. It can dump the battery voltage to ground.

I thought a shorted starter solenoid usually means it sticks closed and keeps spinning the starter even after the engine is running. The sound that makes will scare the crap out of you.

I don't know for sure what it is yet. That's just what they said off hand before looking at it. It's been at the dealer for 5hrs now and no call back that they found the problem starting to get worried. I'm hoping a simple starter swap but who knows these days with all the electronics in cars.

AsimpsonJk 09-12-2013 09:33 AM

So everything turned out ok just a dead cell in the battery. Just kinda pissed it took the dealer 8hrs to find out and they made me pay 70$ for my rental. But atleast my jeep is back and on the trails/street!!!

citricacid 09-12-2013 10:13 AM

Jeep will pay/reimburse for any rentals if the dealer won't, during warranty repairs.

Give Chrysler a call and let them know what is going on, they will get you taken care of.

AsimpsonJk 09-12-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by citricacid (Post 4506801)
Jeep will pay/reimburse for any rentals if the dealer won't, during warranty repairs.

Give Chrysler a call and let them know what is going on, they will get you taken care of.

Great thank you for that bit of info.

Getnoff 09-12-2013 04:50 PM

Time to switch dealers. Most nowadays will offer a loaner or a rental for any warrenty work done. Call around.
Troy