Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Builders Corner (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/)
-   -   21 spline to 23 spline question......... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/21-spline-to-23-spline-question-28872.html)

slickrock mafia 04-07-2009 11:03 PM

21 spline to 23 spline question.........

got a 90 wrangler with 2.5 and 21 spline tranny out put ,trying to build a doubler but everybodys kits are for 23 spline ......can i just change the output shaft on my tranny? what are my options....................................
thanx Don:banghead:

AzTJ 04-07-2009 11:06 PM

Stock AX5 trans? Swap in an AX15 and it would be two upgrades in one shot.

jdhallissey 04-08-2009 01:03 AM

Well honestly saying if you change the input shaft it will be a much stronger tranny in it's own. The weak points in most tranny's are not the gears inside it the input and output shaft.

slickrock mafia 04-08-2009 10:07 AM

thanx guys.............

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdhallissey (Post 351362)
Well honestly saying if you change the input shaft it will be a much stronger tranny in it's own. The weak points in most tranny's are not the gears inside it the input and output shaft.

so i can swap out the output shaft on my trans ? Thanx again ,Don

MR.CLIFFORD 04-08-2009 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slickrock mafia (Post 351484)
so i can swap out the output shaft on my trans ? Thanx again ,Don

I don't believe that is an option. For the same price it would cost for a new output shaft plus the labor you can get into a better/beefier transmission. I don't think I've ever seen anyone selling just a 23 spline output shaft for your transmission. There is no real reason to polish a turd. :D

slickrock mafia 04-08-2009 10:27 AM

Gotcha!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR.CLIFFORD (Post 351485)
I don't believe that is an option. For the same price it would cost for a new output shaft plus the labor you can get into a better/beefier transmission. I don't think I've ever seen anyone selling just a 23 spline output shaft for your transmission. There is no real reason to polish a turd. :D

I know i sound VERY cheap but i have 2 little girls and a wife and their needs always come first, im just trying to get out there without taking very much money from my family...............with that being said ,anybody know where i can get a ax-15 in nor cal?:D Don

MR.CLIFFORD 04-08-2009 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slickrock mafia (Post 351488)
I know i sound VERY cheap but i have 2 little girls and a wife and their needs always come first, im just trying to get out there without taking very much money from my family...............with that being said ,anybody know where i can get a ax-15 in nor cal?:D Don

doing modifications right the first time has saved me countless dollars that I can't comprehend. Especially when I stick my family in my crawler. :)

Mikeyz89YJ 04-08-2009 12:34 PM

y not change the input shaft on the t-case from the 23spline(ax15) to the 21 spline(ax5)..since you'll be in the t-case anyways....??

slickrock mafia 04-08-2009 04:42 PM

im gettin closer................

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeyz89YJ (Post 351533)
y not change the input shaft on the t-case from the 23spline(ax15) to the 21 spline(ax5)..since you'll be in the t-case anyways....??

okay ,that was one of my thoughts,,,,,heres what my dilemma is...im trying to double up two 231s ,that i already have, and they used to make a 21 spline setup and now they dont. I have the 4 cylinder ,ax5 tranny and two 231s already....thanx for all the answers ,i appreciate them,Don

slickrock mafia 04-08-2009 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slickrock mafia (Post 351662)
okay ,that was one of my thoughts,,,,,heres what my dilemma is...im trying to double up two 231s ,that i already have, and they used to make a 21 spline setup and now they dont. I have the 4 cylinder ,ax5 tranny and two 231s already....thanx for all the answers ,i appreciate them,Don

SO can i keep the front input at 21 to match my tranny, then do 23 inside?
looking at the Mad rooster or box for rocks setup that i had seen on PIRATE

Mikeyz89YJ 04-08-2009 05:36 PM

i have the same setup and was tring to fig that out as well.. are u buyin a kit or buildin ur self?

slickrock mafia 04-08-2009 06:21 PM

kit......

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeyz89YJ (Post 351691)
i have the same setup and was tring to fig that out as well.. are u buyin a kit or buildin ur self?

well i was trying to buy the do it yourself kit off pirate but both vendors seem to have fallen off the face o the earth...........i know i had talked to "desert cj" and he had a 23 spline setup.....but i was really hoping to use what i had.Don