Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK Pics Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f354/)
-   -   JK Unlimited - Questions (Pre-Purchase) (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f354/jk-unlimited-questions-pre-purchase-28893.html)

AndyLA 04-08-2009 12:51 PM

JK Unlimited - Questions (Pre-Purchase)

Hey guys. First post, long-time reader. Some 4-door Wrangler Unlimited ?'s.:D

I currently have a 03 Tahoe LT with 155k miles still going strong with its 5.7L V8. I used to have a 74 CJ back in the day and the wife has said OK on a move to a 4-door Unlimited.

I have been trying to get back to my Jeep days for a while now. :D

Questions and Opinions:
1. Looking for a Rubicon with 6-speed, tow package & NAVI system simply because I know the Rubi's tend to hold their value better and with the 4.10s and dual D44 I will be in better shape down the road if I decide to do a little "mild upgrading" ;) Does the resale value & possible upgrading make sense to get a Rubi?

2. Do I need a Rubi if I am not doing hardcore offroad stuff? I am in Louisiana, so while I am sure we have some decent marsh/mud trails, I know we don't have any rocks to climb, other than maybe curbs and parking lots. :) Would I do just as well with a X or Sahara model with just tow kit w/the mandatory 3.73 & NAVI system?

3. What is the general rating of the NAVI system for the Wrangler Unlimited series? Is this also one and the same with the MYGIG system? Opinions/Advice? Is it running about 1-1.5k extra to add as an option?

4. Is the 6-speed a good choice or is the 4speed auto fine for 90% of all of the traffic/offroad challenges? I am spoiled with auto, but have manual in my prior Jeep.

5. What is a good price these days from a dealership including all EP discounts and incentives?

PRICES I HAVE FOUND LATELY: (Are they inline or way off?)
  • Rubi (Black with hardtop, NAVI & tow etc) for around $29k --
  • X with S-Trim (Hardtop) with 6-speed in Black w/Tow Package - Mid 25k
  • Sahara with 6-speed black & tow package. ($27.5k)
  • Rubi (Black with hardtop) without NAVI + 6-speed - $27k

6. I saw the 0% APR is only for 36m --- that sucks even though I tend to pay off my vehicles early. I might just try and look for a good used Unlimited and save some $$$ --- I never have ever purchased a car new, but then I heard that there is a stimulus tax credit for cars bought from 2/09-12/09 --- Anyone have any finance/tax advice?

7. Any dealer recommendations in LA or TX? Thanks! :)

Thanks for the patience and support with a JK newbie.
-Andy

thaduke2003 04-08-2009 01:40 PM

Honestly, man- most of those questions you have to answer yourself. The Rubi is NOT that much more hardcore, BUT, if you want an ultimate off-roader, go for it. 99% of people will never use the extra capability of the Rubi vs. a Sahara or X. I work at a Jeep store, and can tell you honestly, as long as you have the anti-spin diff out back (at least), or swap in your own LSD/locker, you'll never need much more unless you're getting very deep in the junk.
That said, my fiancee just picked up a 2-door X (B-package, 6-speed) with the base 29" tires, 3.73's, and open diffs, and I've put it through some decent mud with NO trouble. The open rear diff is garbage, but we're putting in e-lockers eventually anyways. If you're a solid driver, you hardly need 4-low- I've not even needed it yet, despite DEEP mud due to our recent rains. I HIGHLY reccommend front mud flaps, by the way, if you want to go door/topless!!!

As for the navi, it's pretty darn good- the touch screen is nice, and even my hardcore off-roaders say it's unbreakable. The 30 gig HDD is sweet, so no fumbling for CD's.

As for the transmission, that you have to decide for yourself. I believe a real Wrangler is stick, and my customers agree, as our only "lifer" Wrangler is our Autobox Sahara. Everything else goes pretty easily.

A good price is EP and whatever regional discount you get (500-1000 on Wrangler). There's no money in them beyond that. If you ask for more, you likely won't get it, if much at all.

Right now, the IRS tax credit bit isn't finalized (that I know of), so I can't offer advice there. In terms of new vs. used, you'd be a fool to buy used and save MAYBE a grand on a well-used unlimited vs. a brand spanking new rig.

Best advice I have is buy what you NEED and upgrade from there. It sounds like an X with S-package, anti-slip rear differential, and 3.73's would be fine for you. Front mud flaps run about $80, and you can finance them in with the vehicle. The slush mats also are a good investment if you're getting muddy- they're about $70, and also can go in with your financing.

Best of luck, and feel free to fire away with any questions! Cheers- Mark W.

AndyLA 04-08-2009 02:26 PM

Thanks for all of the great info. One more question. My dealer says that I cannot order my Unlimited (he doesn't want me too it seems more like it) -- he said that I cannot get EP if I order it because it won't qualify when it gets here.(????) Is that true and does it make any sense? He looked up several Unlimiteds on the Chrysler/Jeep network of dealers for me but didn't want me to order anything.

I came in with my Jeep order sheet that I made online at jeep.com --- he tossed it down and says those prices and options aren't right. (?????)
Any ideas or advice on this?

Thanks again for the thorough bit of recommendations and advice.

It is truly appreciated.
Andy

thaduke2003 04-08-2009 02:29 PM

Umm, if you order from Jeep, it MAY take past the end of this month, whereby EPP should have ended. I THINK that's what he's getting at.
He probably just wants to sell what's in stock.
With regards to Jeep.com, SOMETIMES the packages they mention aren't available or quite right. What was it that you'd put together? Mark W.

AndyLA 04-08-2009 04:29 PM

Thanks, Mark. :)
Yeah, I think he mentioned that the EPP pricing would not be applicable. I thought this was a "selling tactic" and not the real deal, but I guess I stand corrected. I guess I will be heading back. I wanted a black one, but I actually like the colors --- especially the dark green....hmm...

bblustang90 04-08-2009 08:57 PM

just wanted to comment on that auto/manual trans thing i went with the auto trans becuase i live in hawaii and if you have ever been here traffic is a complete nightmare so while its saves you from loosing your mind shifting in it i wish i had gone with standard the auto trans sucks everything out of the 3.8 not to mention the o/d in the auto has a really strange shift point with the elec. throttle between 50-60 mph. it really tweeks me sometimes that i have to mash the throttle half way down to get it to downshift to accelrate. only my opinion but going from a v-8 auto to a small v-6 auto trans i feel you would be left dissapointed on the performance of it.

AndyLA 04-08-2009 09:04 PM

Thanks. I am leaning towards the Green Metallic exterior color. Would love to find a hardtop with Navi in a Rubi package.... Any dealers or members able to search the Jeep dealer database? :D

If not a Rubi, then a X or Sahara with the same & 3.73 & tow on the non-Rubicon editions..... 6-speed definitely preferred.

Thanks so much. Great forum.

jmartz 04-08-2009 10:18 PM

I don't think employee pricing is going anywhere. They may have an end-date listed, and that will be a clever tool used by salesmen to pressure people into buying the car... ultimately, I don't think they are going to end the program anytime soon. Especially with the government putting serious pressure on them to get their act together, and firing CEO's for not getting results.

thaduke2003 04-09-2009 06:01 AM

My search function will only search in a circle around MY dealership- try to get a local dealership to do it- they can and will if you ask nicely :)
EPP SHOULD go away. For one, it's killing my income! :) For two, Chrysler told us it was ending at the end of March, which was fine by us, and then really did blindside us by extending it- they had even sent out a memo in March telling us to emphasize that it was ending at the end of the month- maybe they were just playing us? But I doubt it.

EPP moves units, but it kills dealership profit. It's good for Chrysler/Cerberus, but not as good for the individual dealerships and salespeople. While I like that it generates some sales we might not otherwise get, I don't like that it brings in mostly lowballers and 500-credit score types who try to get MORE off when we're already damn near invoice on EVERYTHING. Sniff- that's my bit on that :) Mark W.

keg97 04-09-2009 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaduke2003 (Post 351920)
My search function will only search in a circle around MY dealership- try to get a local dealership to do it- they can and will if you ask nicely :)
EPP SHOULD go away. For one, it's killing my income! :) For two, Chrysler told us it was ending at the end of March, which was fine by us, and then really did blindside us by extending it- they had even sent out a memo in March telling us to emphasize that it was ending at the end of the month- maybe they were just playing us? But I doubt it.

EPP moves units, but it kills dealership profit. It's good for Chrysler/Cerberus, but not as good for the individual dealerships and salespeople. While I like that it generates some sales we might not otherwise get, I don't like that it brings in mostly lowballers and 500-credit score types who try to get MORE off when we're already damn near invoice on EVERYTHING. Sniff- that's my bit on that :) Mark W.

Obviously you would have much better information than most of us since you sell, but....I find it hard to believe that any carmaker, especially one in Chrysler's shape, will be able to roll back the incentives anytime soon. The economy is just too tough. I was even surprised that they rolled back the 0% to only 3 years.

Do you think that perhaps they'll take away EPP but put 3-4K cash back on it?

Personally, I'm waiting for the deals to get better (as I think they will) before I move on my JK.

thaduke2003 04-09-2009 10:13 AM

Trust me, there's no more money in a Wrangler- the incentives WILL only get worse. EPP and the regional cash is as good as it'll get, and that's already damn good. Right now, virtually every car deal grosses under $500 for the dealership with EPP. Unless you find a HUGE dealership at the very end of the year willing to take a loss (unlikely), you're not going to get a better deal than you will this month.
After this month, either Chrysler will be in Chapter 11 bankruptcy (let's all pray not!), or merged with Fiat. If they go into bankruptcy, they'll need to increase profits, so EPP is gone. If Fiat buys them, they're getting ~$6B, so they can back off a lot of the incentives, so EPP, again, is gone. If you can, buy now- also, that way, you're supporting business and Chrysler- all good things, because A. I like my job, and B. I don't want a Chinese company running Jeep! That, by the way, is actually a likely scenario if Chrysler has to liquidate and sell off its brands.
Yuck- Mark W.

xxxxxxxxdavem 04-09-2009 02:48 PM

definately go with the 6 speed with bigger tires it will give you a little better control of the engine power band . and be prepaired for a MAJOR power difference between your tahoe and the jeep.we went from a 06 yukon with the 5.3v8 w/CAI & exaust to the little under powered 3.8 v6. BIG difference. but the wife loves her rubicon so she's happy im happy. the nav is excellent. the only problem with the my-gig is we are on our 3rd unit. the volume/sound quit working in 2 of them. they were replaced under waranty but a major pain getting to dealer to verify ,etc. etc. etc.and be prepared your going from a luxery suv to a "jeep". the jeep is is a jeep no matter how you slice it, just got to luv em !

jk'n 04-09-2009 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davem (Post 352115)
definately go with the 6 speed with bigger tires it will give you a little better control of the engine power band . and be prepaired for a MAJOR power difference between your tahoe and the jeep.we went from a 06 yukon with the 5.3v8 w/CAI & exaust to the little under powered 3.8 v6. BIG difference. but the wife loves her rubicon so she's happy im happy. the nav is excellent.

OK, I'm going to have to weigh in on this one. The Yukon is a bigger vehicle and probably does have more pep but I don't see too many Yukon's off road where I see Jeeps. It is a different purpose vehicle. I have the 6 speed and I am a firm believer in the control that it gives in various situations. One is off of the stop. I'm not a dragster but I got to say that when I coordinate my accelerator foot and clutch foot well it jumps off of the line with some pretty good acceleration. With 6 gears, the ratio in first is low enough to deliver good power to the wheels. I keep hearing underpowered. Don't take it to the drag strip, you'll lose. But any dragsters that come out on the trail, look out... your jeep will blow their doors off up a rock climb. See, it is a different purpose vehicle.

I love driving mine plain and simple. The MyGIG system is a good sounding stereo, it does nav pretty well and plays mp3 cds and dvds and plays dvd video disks. The built in hard drive is a nice feature too. The video disk player worked pretty nicely when I was camping last year. I do the tent thing while camping. Mine is my commuter. I have the stock mud tires. Test drive a Sahara with A/Ts and mud and you will find that there is not much difference with either tire regarding noise. The stock muds are a compromise tire. They are not as aggressive as many mud tires that I see a lot of jeeps sporting but they still have some pretty good grab offroad. If you like luxury, a loaded Rubicon is about as luxurious as it gets in the off road class vehicle. Some jeepers will probably say that all that luxury doesn't belong in a jeep. Well, I say it makes mine fun to drive. If you can afford it and you are not a minimalist, try it out.

jk'n

dcrna 04-09-2009 03:48 PM

I almost got the Rubicon, but I am not the type that will be doing the kind of extreme off roading that would require it. I got Sahara mainly because, for me, it looked better with the painted fenders.

dcrna 04-09-2009 03:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I will try to get a pic of mine up.........not sure if I know what I am doing!

jk'n 04-09-2009 03:59 PM

I had the Sahara Unlimited in an early 08. Took it off road quite a bit. The Rubicon definitely has more backbone on the trail and feels more sure footed. It gives me more confidence while off road.

jk'n 04-09-2009 04:02 PM

Nice pic dcrna.

keg97 04-09-2009 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcrna (Post 352172)
I will try to get a pic of mine up.........not sure if I know what I am doing!

Beautiful!!! That is the color that I want to get. Not sure about a Sahara v. Rubicon.
Post some more pics though...especially of the front/rear bumpers w/the Sahara silver plastic insert.

dcrna 04-09-2009 06:49 PM

Here you go.

dcrna 04-09-2009 06:50 PM

Sorry guys...........having problems uploading picture right now.

dcrna 04-09-2009 10:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Let try this again.

dcrna 04-09-2009 10:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Last one

AndyLA 04-10-2009 06:19 AM

Nice....thanks for the input and advice.....

If it isn't too personal.....how did u finance your JK? I qualify for the 0% but it is only for 36 months....(strange) ---- not sure what is best at this point.

jk'n 04-10-2009 06:29 AM

Mine is a bank finance, 1/3 down, five years to get the payments down a bit 6.25% which the dealer could not match at the time. If I remember correctly, if you do bank finance, they will kick in the dollar amount that represents some difference between 0% financing and their regular finance because with a bank loan, technically, you are paying the dealership cash.

dcrna 04-10-2009 06:36 AM

I did the 0% for 36 months.

dcrna 04-10-2009 06:42 AM

I did not have to pay any additional fees to do the 0%.

jk'n 04-10-2009 08:23 AM

They don't charge additional fees for the 0% but what they don't tell you is they will give a cash kickback or discount if you pay cash due to the fact that you are not using the 0% finance. The finance of 0% is a trick that sales people to use to make the deal seem more sweet. Don't use it and it gives them wiggle on the price.

dcrna 04-10-2009 08:52 AM

I ended up getting it for $7646 under MSRP, not sure that they had much more room to give me cash back had I paid cash. I did however negotiate it as a cash deal up front, then told them that I wanted to just do the 0% financing.

jk'n 04-10-2009 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcrna (Post 352538)
I ended up getting it for $7646 under MSRP, not sure that they had much more room to give me cash back had I paid cash. I did however negotiate it as a cash deal up front, then told them that I wanted to just do the 0% financing.

First, I really like the color on your jeep. I got the warm fuzzies when I saw the pictures. I can't recall seeing that color around here yet. The two colors I really like on vehicles are blue, especially your color of blue and red. I have the red rock crystal pearl and I like it because it is dark enough that it doesn't stand out. Jeep has come out with some interesting colors though. The orange and rescue green I really like and I don't usually don't like green except maybe army green (former Marine aaaaaarrr). Even that new delonator yellow kinda jumps out at me. Well, that is one way of keeping the line exciting to more people is to vary the colors.

Have to say, it looks like you really did well on your purchase. I guess it pays to shop around. When I purchased mine originally, they were not wheeling and dealing too much in November of 07. Still happy though. I don't look back. Only forward to the fun that I'm having.

AndyLA ought to be happy with all of this information since he is still in the process. Good luck Andy. Hope you get what you are looking for at a swell price. Cheers. :wavey:

dcrna 04-10-2009 11:42 AM

Thanks. I went in wanting to get the red rock color, but they didnt have one, so I ended up getting the blue. My wife really liked it, which made it easier for me to sale her on the whole idea!