Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Build Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f330/)
-   -   My Soon to be Frankenstein YJ (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f330/my-soon-to-be-frankenstein-yj-28947.html)

frankenstein_yj 04-09-2009 04:43 PM

My Soon to be Frankenstein YJ

3 Attachment(s)
Hello all brand new here to wrangler forum. currently on my second jeep a 94 yj, 2.5 l4 5 speed. and just wanted to let u guys in on my little adventure from bone stock to frankenstein trail rig.
For starters the frame is toast on my yj so i found an 88 frame and chasiss for 450 will be here hopefully this sat. i also have a l6 5 speed and tc from a 91 wrangler hoping to put this all together along with lift and tires and make a sweet ride.

4point 04-09-2009 04:47 PM

Welcome, keep us posted on the build.

frankenstein_yj 04-09-2009 05:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres the frame i should be picking up this weekend

jpdocdave 04-09-2009 08:02 PM

nice, i love builds. that frame looks sweet. check out the link in my sig, if you wanna know more about what i put on my frame let me know.

oh yeah, welcome to the forum.

i just realized there's not a good pic of my frame in my photobucket link, there will be one shortly.

frankenstein_yj 04-09-2009 08:18 PM

hey doc ive read alot of your post and am happy that u are interested in my build! i was lookin at your pics and was wondering if that is por 15 on your frame? i was thinking of doing that but im not sure my frame will need it because i haven seen my frame in person yet but am stoked to go get it sat!

jpdocdave 04-09-2009 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankenstein_yj (Post 352332)
hey doc ive read alot of your post and am happy that u are interested in my build! i was lookin at your pics and was wondering if that is por 15 on your frame? i was thinking of doing that but im not sure my frame will need it because i haven seen my frame in person yet but am stoked to go get it sat!

ya, your frame looks awesome from the pics. i'd coat it to keep it that way if you want your yj for a real long time.

i did a lot of research on what to do to seal my frame. long story short is i used a product by "sem" called rust sheild. it was about a third cheaper than por 15 if i remember right, and i think it worked great. i also bought a hardener/catalyst with it that makes it almost imperviable to brake fluid, oil, gas and so on. it went on real thin and at first and i thought this sucks. then it had a reaction or something, and turned thick and tarry. i have a feeling this will last. i spent a lot of time prepping, and it was almost a waste, this stuff will stick to anything. basically works just like the other products.

i spent under $100 on it, and have some left over.

frankenstein_yj 04-09-2009 08:41 PM

hmm "sem" never heard of it, deff looking that up as soon as i clock post. one question about it, u said it was like tar? its not still really sticky is it that would suck to paint it up all nice and just have a ton of dirt stick to it!

87YJWrangler 04-09-2009 09:01 PM

Where ya get it doc, I wanna do my floor boards and engine bay

jpdocdave 04-09-2009 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankenstein_yj (Post 352339)
hmm "sem" never heard of it, deff looking that up as soon as i clock post. one question about it, u said it was like tar? its not still really sticky is it that would suck to paint it up all nice and just have a ton of dirt stick to it!

no, dries like paint. you can even get different colors (not that you want to on a frame) and gloss or semi gloss.

all i was describing is what i considered a reaction, went on thin, thinner than paint usually does, but then it thickened up and got tacky within maybe 10 seconds, and then there's no more messing with it, let it dry and its paint, but paint that stays. it can be sprayed or brushed on. for simplicity and clean up, i brushed it.

i never heard of them either, i later found out all the body shops and resto shops around me use it also.

frankenstein_yj 04-09-2009 09:09 PM

well it sounds like ill be making a stop at the store on my way back with my new frame! now i have another question (go figure right) ive read that the 2.5 yjs have 4.11s and the 4.0s have 3.73 would it be worth it to swap my 4.11 axles to the new frame and keep the others for spares or should i just stay with the 3.73 axles?

87 i was on sems website and you can search for dealers by zip code

jpdocdave 04-09-2009 09:11 PM

man, its on ebay for super cheap
sem rust shield, eBay Motors items on eBay.com

my1stjeep 04-09-2009 09:12 PM

just a quick chime in...frankenstein, frame looks awesome. i'm stoked for you

jpdocdave 04-09-2009 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankenstein_yj (Post 352369)
well it sounds like ill be making a stop at the store on my way back with my new frame! now i have another question (go figure right) ive read that the 2.5 yjs have 4.11s and the 4.0s have 3.73 would it be worth it to swap my 4.11 axles to the new frame and keep the others for spares or should i just stay with the 3.73 axles?

87 i was on sems website and you can search for dealers by zip code

keep the 4 banger axles. six's could come with as hi a gearing as 3.07:doh:, you don't want that.

jpdocdave 04-09-2009 09:14 PM

here's what it is

SEM Products - Catalog

sorry to clutter your thread up with all my searching for this stuff.:D

frankenstein_yj 04-09-2009 09:18 PM

by all means by u helping me it seems to have already helped another jeeper out! ok thats what i wanted to do but i wasnt sure if the pros outweighed the work that i would have to do but will deff keep the 2.5s at least till its just time to upgrade!

frankenstein_yj 04-09-2009 09:20 PM

and thanks for the support everybody!!! :D

87YJWrangler 04-10-2009 12:27 AM

Yeah no problem helping a fellow jeeper is why this forum is here

YjMopower 04-10-2009 10:35 AM

Welcome and yea keep us posted with your progress, i just wanted to say when i saw your frame on the picture you posted it looks like its missing a tub mount right in the middle not sure if your going to fab something up.

jpdocdave 04-10-2009 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YjMopower (Post 352579)
looks like its missing a tub mount right in the middle not sure if your going to fab something up.

good eye.

87YJWrangler 04-10-2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpdocdave (Post 352714)
good eye.

Yeah good eye I didnt notice that, you could use some square tubing and cut it in half and weld to the frame with a hole drilled

frankenstein_yj 04-10-2009 11:43 PM

I PICKED UP THE FRAME TODAY!!!! it is as clean as it looks in the pictures! i told my buddy shit this thing is as old as i am and i have more rust on me than it does lololol and yes there is a missing tub mount the guy i bought it from was going to put a cj tub on the frame but never got very far with the modifications. and yes i am just going to get some 2x4 tube and fab my own shouldnt be hard at all.

frankenstein_yj 04-13-2009 01:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It just keeps looking better and better!

frankenstein_yj 11-11-2009 11:23 AM

hey guys its been a while since ive upbated my build but here it is i have a 88 frame 91 motor and a 90 tub but i have ran into a ginormous problem im not an electrician by any means and i cant get anything to work i have a 91 dash and engine harness, and a 94 steering column and grille harness everything hooks up great but nothing works any help at all is appreciated

frankenstein_yj 11-11-2009 11:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
heres what she looks like

morphious 11-11-2009 03:22 PM

nice start did u get any of that wiring figured out u going to leave the cj roll bar or u going to build ur own

frankenstein_yj 11-11-2009 06:04 PM

thanks man, i got a little bit of the wiring figured out im still working on running the tailight harness i wish i would have bought all of the 91 wiring. and i like the cj bars but eventually i am going to add a bar that runs to the windshield and then to the floor.

frankenstein_yj 11-11-2009 06:06 PM

oh and when i find the guy who invented torx screws i have a big can of wup-ass for him :bottom:

morphious 11-11-2009 06:10 PM

:rofl:yeah we all know ur feelings on that one

big orange yj 11-11-2009 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankenstein_yj (Post 486143)
oh and when i find the guy who invented torx screws i have a big can of wup-ass for him :bottom:

Amen:flipoff::rofl:

93yjsplash 11-11-2009 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankenstein_yj (Post 486143)

As a matter of fact i have collected the cans of whoop-ass for the Torx guy from many of my Jeep buddies and have combined them in a 55 gallon drum.

He's gonna be sore.