Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Please help, not sure if clutch just died (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/please-help-not-sure-if-clutch-just-died-290033.html)

Hammerwalk 09-12-2013 06:40 PM

Please help, not sure if clutch just died

Hey y'all,

I need some help please. I am not sure if my clutch, throw out bearing, or whatever else is in there, just went south.

'02 4.0, 5sp

Yesterday I noticed a different sound coming from the transmission instead of the normal "rolling marbles" This time it sounded like two pieces of sand paper against each other. Sound could be changed by pressing clutch accordingly.In gear or out of gear, sound was still there

This morning I hop in and go to work. The sound continued for about 10 miles or so, and then nothing. Sounded like it always had.

I am coming home from work and while I am in stop and go traffic, i notice a little shuddering when I am going in 1st from a stop and then smooth from there on out.

I get up to speed, 55-60mp and i start hearing this high pitch squeal. My foot is covering the clutch, and now i am feeling it starting to buck or popping out with any amount of pressure i put on it. Clutch pedal is also shaking. All of a sudden, something feels like it "popped" and my clutch goes to the floor. I throw it out of gear and coast to a stop.

I hop out and look underneath. No fluid, no missing parts. I hop back in, I have pressure in the clutch again, and I can put it in gear, and go. However, now any time I engage the clutch, a gawd-awful high pitch squeling / scraping sound comes from the tranny. As long as i dont engage clutch, you would never know anything happened.

I am able to make it home with minimal use of clutch. Once I get home, after i turned off the jeep, I turned it back on to show my neighbor what I was talking about. I noticed that the Jeep has a much harder time cranking over now, almost like the battery is dead, but its not. It fired up just fine on my way home.

So, what does this sound like to you? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Let me know if you need any additional information. I can take video/audio if needed.

Daily driver, need to figure this out quickly.

Thanks!

JimsJeep 09-12-2013 06:49 PM

For starters you can drop the inspection plate and get a look at your flywheel, but it sounds like you have a transmission drop in your future.

Hammerwalk 09-12-2013 06:54 PM

I'll find where that is, and take a look. And yes, I am sure it will be coming down this weekend, but I would like to at least have an idea of what i am facing. Closest parts store is 12 miles from me.

Anything in particular that I am looking for when I get the inspection plate off?

JimsJeep 09-12-2013 06:57 PM

Right at the bottom of your trans where it bolts up to the engine. You mentioned it was weird trying to crank so look for any flywheel damage.

Hammerwalk 09-12-2013 06:58 PM

got it. and what will this allow me to see, or not see?

I mean I know it will allow me to check flywheel but what else could it be that I will not be able to see from there

JimsJeep 09-12-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerwalk (Post 4521361)
got it. and what will this allow me to see, or not see?

Give your flywheel a look over and check for any debris

Water Dog 09-12-2013 07:30 PM

Sounds like your throw out bearing is coming apart and taking some of the pressure plate with it. You could have broken parts mixing it up with the fly wheel and starter gears. I would pull the starter first and check the drive gear on it and you can take a look at the flywheel there too. You have to pull the starter to pull the transmission anyway.

Here's a link for a good clutch at a good price... 1994-1995, 1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler Clutch Kit - LUK 05-065 - - PartsGeek.com

Hammerwalk 09-12-2013 08:22 PM

Waiting for wife to get home so I can start tearing this apart.

Can I get that clutch set at a parts store? I don't have the time to wait for shipping. Need this tomorrow.

So far from the responses, nothing major appears to be going on. Just replaceable wear and tear items. Am I correct with that presumption?

JimsJeep 09-12-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerwalk (Post 4523873)
Waiting for wife to get home so I can start tearing this apart.

Can I get that clutch set at a parts store? I don't have the time to wait for shipping. Need this tomorrow.

So far from the responses, nothing major appears to be going on. Just replaceable wear and tear items. Am I correct with that presumption?

Clutch should be available at most parts stores, get the complete set with the pilot bearing. If possible get a LUK if available.

Hammerwalk 09-12-2013 09:02 PM

Thanks y'all. I'll post with what I find from inspection plate.

Water Dog 09-12-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerwalk (Post 4525169)
Thanks y'all. I'll post with what I find from inspection plate.

Replacing a clutch is a minimum of a 6-7 hour job with help if you know what you're doing. You might not want to plan on that ride for tomorrow.

Hammerwalk 09-13-2013 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was not able to remove the inspector plate. It's secured with the bell housing bolts, from what I can tell.

Regardless, I am trying to go through and get all the prerequisite items taken care of today so everything is ready to go for my neighbor to help me tomorrow.

I am in the process of removing the shift link. Per the manual , "install nuts on two M6 x 1.0 bolts and thread the bolts into the threaded holes at the base of the shifter. "

What are M6 x 1.0 bolts? I see what it's referring to.

Water Dog 09-13-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerwalk (Post 4537833)
I was not able to remove the inspector plate. It's secured with the bell housing bolts, from what I can tell.

Regardless, I am trying to go through and get all the prerequisite items taken care of today so everything is ready to go for my neighbor to help me tomorrow.

I am in the process of removing the shift link. Per the manual , "install nuts on two M6 x 1.0 bolts and thread the bolts into the threaded holes at the base of the shifter. "

What are M6 x 1.0 bolts? I see what it's referring to.

M6 x 1.0 refers to metric bolt size 6 millimeter x 1.0 millimeter thread pitch Go to any hardware store that sells bolts and they can give you what you need. Just get something long enough to work with and don't forget the nuts. You must have the NV3550 transmission, right?

Hammerwalk 09-13-2013 10:27 AM

Yeah, nv3550

Another thing I'll have to write down to get at the parts store.

Thanks

Water Dog 09-13-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerwalk (Post 4538185)
Yeah, nv3550

Another thing I'll have to write down to get at the parts store.

Thanks

When you go get parts, it would be a good idea to stop at a Jeep dealer and pick up a release arm return spring (I don't believe a parts store will have one, but you could try). Yours will probably be broken or you will break it getting it off. Here's a link to what it looks like.

Crown Automotive 4338855 - Clutch Fork Spring for 94-11 Jeep® Wrangler YJ, TJ & JK, 94-01 Cherokee XJ, 93-96 Grand Cherokee & 02-11 Liberty KJ & KK - Quadratec

obidya 09-13-2013 10:47 AM

Just for my own curiosity...

Have you checked the fluid levels/quality of the master cylinder?
Does it still start hard if you have it in neutral?

Hammerwalk 09-13-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Water Dog (Post 4538449)

When you go get parts, it would be a good idea to stop at a Jeep dealer and pick up a release arm return spring (I don't believe a parts store will have one, but you could try). Yours will probably be broken or you will break it getting it off. Here's a link to what it looks like.

Crown Automotive 4338855 - Clutch Fork Spring for 94-11 Jeep® Wrangler YJ, TJ & JK, 94-01 Cherokee XJ, 93-96 Grand Cherokee & 02-11 Liberty KJ & KK - Quadratec

Where will this be? Inside the bell housing with the throw out bearing ?

Hammerwalk 09-13-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obidya (Post 4538745)
Just for my own curiosity...

Have you checked the fluid levels/quality of the master cylinder?
Does it still start hard if you have it in neutral?

I checked that this AM. It's not full to the brim but there appears to be plenty in the reservoir.

And yes, it starts hard in neutral as well.

Water Dog 09-13-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerwalk (Post 4539417)
I checked that this AM. It's not full to the brim but there appears to be plenty in the reservoir.

And yes, it starts hard in neutral as well.

I would guess the hard starting is most likely due to frozen mangled parts of your throw out bearing and pressure plate. Here's a picture of where that spring goes. It's what holds the passenger side of the release arm against the ball joint, and it is inside the bell housing with the clutch.

Hammerwalk 09-13-2013 12:40 PM

Ok, I understand now. I will call a Chrysler dealership that is down the road to make sure they have one. Going to NAPA for their clutch kit unless I can get it from the dealership.

So far I have rear drive shaft off, starter is removed, console disassembled. Have to wait until I get those M6 x 1.0 bolts tonight before I can remove shifter. After I feed the kiddos I will start with front drive shaft and skid plate for transmission / transfer case.

Water Dog 09-13-2013 01:46 PM

Good luck

Hammerwalk 09-13-2013 08:42 PM

Ok, so how bad did I just screw up?

I went and got M6 x 1 bolts and inserted them into the holes at the bottom of the shift lever. Before I realized what I had done, I pretty much stripped what ever threads are in there. I tightened the bolts, not the nuts

Hammerwalk 09-13-2013 10:29 PM

Anyone know how to disconnect the links from the 4wd shifter from the transfer case? Last road block before the tranny is clear to come down.

This has been a real b***h!!

Hammerwalk 09-14-2013 01:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Throw out bearing exploded!

Water Dog 09-14-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerwalk (Post 4568625)
Throw out bearing exploded!

Yep, It sure did...! Did you get it all back together?

JimsJeep 09-15-2013 08:34 AM

Well on the upside it's always helps to find the cause of the problem, and you did.

Make sure you change out the pilot bearing and it's always good to change out the trans fluid while it's out.

Hammerwalk 09-15-2013 09:17 AM

We ( my neighbor and I, thank goodness for his air ratchet and impact ) got everything put back to gather then found that my slave cylinder got damaged in the process and had to be replaced. So all I have left to do is bleed the clutch , put console back together and install cross member and were done!

I hope it'll be a very long time before I ever have to do that again. And yes, the clutch set came with new pilot bearing.

JimsJeep 09-15-2013 09:31 AM

It's a lot easier the second time around. LOL

Hammerwalk 09-15-2013 07:01 PM

Ok so everything is back in order as running. However, when I ride the clutch , say to go backwards or starting on a hill , there is a shudder that I don't like. Does the new clutch need to wear in, or is this abnormal?

JimsJeep 09-15-2013 07:25 PM

What did you trans mount look like when you disconnected it. Might be shot or possibly did you forget to tighten it fully.