Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   newbie - '06 SE tires, lift (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/newbie-06-se-tires-lift-2920.html)

The Javindicator 09-07-2006 03:19 PM

newbie - '06 SE tires, lift

I'm sure that this question has already been addressed several times so I apologize for the redundant post, but just want to make sure before I spend the money.

I have an 06 SE, 2.5L and want it to look like the stock Rubicons or maybe slightly higher with new wheels/tires, and maybe a budget 2" lift (for cosmetic purposes only, it's too new to take offroad yet!). Am I going to take a huge hit on performance if I do this? How much difference will there be with/without the budget lift? I'll probably have more questions after this, but let me know what you guys think. Thanks for your help, this is a great resource for new Jeep owners.

mrbigjeep 09-07-2006 05:01 PM

welcome...its never too new to take off road...i took mine off road a couple months after i got it (06 also) and it looks good as new after a little cleaning and everything works fine and the undercarriage is still clean...a buddy was under my jeep helping me install something and he thought i hadn't even been before...it depends on what size tires you run as to whether or not you will take a huge hit on performance...what do you mean by "how much difference will there be with the budget boost...only difference is it will sit higher and perform better offroad along...and it may ride the same, worse, or better, depending on what shocks you get...what size tires do you wanna run? 31's or 32's? the lift itself doesn't hurt performance that much (gas mileage wise) if at all...its more tires than anything i think

Odhinn 09-07-2006 05:45 PM

Hi there Javindicator. I think you can put 31x10.50's under it stock. I have 3.5" total lift and just put 33x12.50's under it with plenty of room. With a 2" lift I would think you could run 32's depending on the offset of the wheels. Just my thoughts. When i went to 33's from 31's my performance in the low end was never effected. It was actually only effected in 5th gear, I have to down shift a little more now. Amazing enough I was shocked that my gas milleage stayed the same at around 16-20 with the AC off and 14-17 with the AC on.

The Javindicator 09-08-2006 09:49 AM

Re:

Thanks for the replies, this is a big help. Sorry, forgot to mention what I was thinking about getting as far as tires/wheels. I was thinking about 16x8" wheels w/ 4" backspacing and 31" tires (p245 75r 16, basically replicate the stock rubicons). Judging from your replies, I shouldn't see too much if any loss of power with my 4-cyl engine. Does this setup sound like a good combo?

As far as a 2" budget boost, do you have any recommendations for something that is low maintenance, relatively inexpensive, and easy to install myself? Would you even recommend a 2" BB considering my tire/wheel combo? Thanks again for your comments, this is all new to me, but you guys know your stuff!

khenderson 09-08-2006 10:31 AM

the Rubicon Express BB is a popular one. it's the one that i run. everything came with the kit and was really easy to install in a day. the only complaint that i have with it is that the shocks are a little stiff for me, but i'll live. and i think that the BB with 31's is a good combo. it's what i'm running and with the 4-banger, it works really well until you're ready to regear and go larger.

mrbigjeep 09-08-2006 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Javindicator
Thanks for the replies, this is a big help. Sorry, forgot to mention what I was thinking about getting as far as tires/wheels. I was thinking about 16x8" wheels w/ 4" backspacing and 31" tires (p245 75r 16, basically replicate the stock rubicons). Judging from your replies, I shouldn't see too much if any loss of power with my 4-cyl engine. Does this setup sound like a good combo?

As far as a 2" budget boost, do you have any recommendations for something that is low maintenance, relatively inexpensive, and easy to install myself? Would you even recommend a 2" BB considering my tire/wheel combo? Thanks again for your comments, this is all new to me, but you guys know your stuff!

sounds like a good setup to me...the only bad thing i've heard about the RE is that the shocks can make the ride really bouncy

Scout 09-08-2006 03:27 PM

[/QUOTE] As far as a 2" budget boost, do you have any recommendations for something that is low maintenance, relatively inexpensive, and easy to install myself? Would you even recommend a 2" BB considering my tire/wheel combo? Thanks again for your comments, this is all new to me, but you guys know your stuff![/QUOTE]

I ran a 2" Skyjacket BB for awhile on my Rubicon and had no issues with it. No body lift either. I think it was around $ 250 through Quadratec and included shocks.

I actually ran 285/75/R16 BF Goodrich's with it and never rubbed once.

mrbigjeep 09-08-2006 09:27 PM

As far as a 2" budget boost, do you have any recommendations for something that is low maintenance, relatively inexpensive, and easy to install myself? Would you even recommend a 2" BB considering my tire/wheel combo? Thanks again for your comments, this is all new to me, but you guys know your stuff![/QUOTE]

I ran a 2" Skyjacket BB for awhile on my Rubicon and had no issues with it. No body lift either. I think it was around $ 250 through Quadratec and included shocks.

I actually ran 285/75/R16 BF Goodrich's with it and never rubbed once.[/QUOTE]

in U.S. equivalent to 33's for those of you who didn't know (right?)

amerijeep 09-08-2006 09:34 PM

Once again, I have no idea what bigjeep is talking about...

mrbigjeep 09-08-2006 09:36 PM

dude the quote button messed up! i hit the quote button and posted and it put all that crap up there...i was saying that the 285's are equivalent to 33's for those who didn't know...just read the last line and thats my post...the quote button messed it up...just like simple scouts post...it didn't put the quote in a box!

amerijeep 09-08-2006 09:40 PM

I was actually talking about the 285s in the U.S. comment. It sounded as if you were saying they were some foreign job or something.

That quote thing is a pain, isn't it?

mrbigjeep 09-08-2006 09:43 PM

oooh

are you joking about the quote thing?...it isn't my fault it messed up

amerijeep 09-08-2006 09:46 PM

Nah, It messes up for everyone, I think. You have to be very careful with the quote thing. It's easy to delete the wrong thing.