Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   92 YJ guage Question (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/92-yj-guage-question-29214.html)

Jeepnoob 04-15-2009 04:22 PM

92 YJ guage Question

So I thought my Temp and Oil gauges were broken because they weren't reading anything. Well my battery and gas gauges were working. So I bought a new cluster hoping that was it but it isn't. Anyone have any ideas on why the gauges and lights on the gauges work but it won't read anything? When I start the car I can see them move but they stay at 0? Help please! :)

Thanks in Advance! :)

cooper30 04-15-2009 07:06 PM

First thing I would do is verify that I had oil pressure with a manual gauge....more for a piece of mind than anything else.

If all is good there, I'd check the wiring and senders.

I am not familiar with Jeep's exact wiring, resistance, etc, but if the temp and oil share a ground, that may be your problem.

buckshot500 04-16-2009 05:16 AM

Many times those center gauges can be fixed, by cleaning the printed circuit with a pencil eraser.

The new gauge pod should not need this, unless it's used. Still I doubt it would be the same two gauges.

You'll have to get a hold of a test meter, & check the wiring for those two.

I'd start by testing the senders, if they are OK, then next is the wires.

The temp gauge might be on the intake manifold (purple wire in front of carb on a 4.2L)
Oil sender & pressure switch are on the passenger side of the block (4.2L) behind the distributor coil.

Jeepnoob 04-16-2009 03:06 PM

I have a 4 cylinder. I will check the wires

DaBoonDockSaint 04-16-2009 03:10 PM

I have the same issue with my 91 YJ but the only thing that is not working properly is my gas meter guage.

buckshot500 04-17-2009 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBoonDockSaint (Post 356396)
I have the same issue with my 91 YJ but the only thing that is not working properly is my gas meter guage.

Pencil eraser & clean printed circuit contact areas (copper tape) Be as gentle as you can, while getting it clean. Some dielectric grease wouldn't hurt.

Jeepnoob 04-21-2009 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckshot500 (Post 356996)
Pencil eraser & clean printed circuit contact areas (copper tape) Be as gentle as you can, while getting it clean. Some dielectric grease wouldn't hurt.

Hmm the one I ordered is perfectly clean like I said the turn on and get power just won't read anything.. ugh! lol

cooper30 04-21-2009 06:49 PM

Check the senders to ensure they are connected.

I'll go out to the garage in a few minutes to see where they are on my '95 2.5, but I'm guessing the oil pressure sender is on the right side and the temp sender is either on top or front of the motor.

cooper30 04-21-2009 07:10 PM

Yup, it looks like the temp sender is on the top front and the oil pressure sender is on the right side.

tenax 04-23-2009 09:12 PM

temperature sending unit is on the back by the firewall on the top drivers side of the engine and will have a single purple wire that goes to a white cap which simply plugs into your temp sending unit..just changed mine on my 92 yj as the temp gauge was not working. to verify, pull the cap off the sending unit, turn the ignition switch to on, but don't start the jeep..then touch the cap to a piece of metal to ground it and if the temp gauge is fine, the needle will go over to the right. (hottest temp side) then when you stop touching metal, will go back to the left (cold side). as the metal part inside the cap needs to touch ground to do this, i just grabbed a piece of insulated speaker wire, stuck it in the cap, anchored the other end of the wire underneath a metal grounding strap attached to the firewall and just went back and forth to check it. replaced the sending unit, temp is perfect. the sending unit at the front is tied to the computer, not your temp gauge.

NAVYCHIEF 04-24-2009 12:19 AM

i had a similar problem on my 90 yj. cleaning the contacts and crimpnig the wire terminal a little tighter did the trick.

buckshot500 04-24-2009 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckshot500 (Post 356996)

Update, for everyone to use;
Guages not working - JeepForum.com

Jeepnoob 04-26-2009 08:00 PM

AWESOME thanks guys! :)

buckshot500 04-26-2009 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepnoob (Post 361870)
AWESOME thanks guys! :)

AWESOME your gonna try it, or AWESOME it worked like a charm?:wavey:

Don't toss your old gauge pod, it will make a nice spare.

YjJeepKid 04-29-2009 08:44 PM

i had the same problem. the contacts in the actual plug going into the back of the cluster were not coming in contact together so i started to wiggle it around and all the gauges would spike and go back down so then i put wire in each of the holes were the wires are in the plug and meshed it together with the back of the gauge cluster and it worked. then if the lights dont work try playing with the plug in the back of the gauge cluster wen its plugged in and your lights might flicker on wen your playing with it. if you still dont get illuminaation check your dimmer switch thats usually the main problem. that was my problem. for a little while i ran straight power from the dimmer switch plug from the hot wire to the gauge cluster wire just to check for illumination. hopefully this helps. :crash: