Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   What lift is on my tj? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/what-lift-is-on-my-tj-292401.html)

NickyVswole 09-14-2013 09:21 AM

What lift is on my tj?

1 Attachment(s)
I just picked this up for a steal off a guy. I know its obviously been lifted but he had no idea thr brand or size because he bought it off a dealer n they had no info.
The shocks have no name n the coils are red that's bout all the info I could tell.

Attachment 344601

33x12.5

NJO 09-14-2013 09:27 AM

Could be Skyjacker, could be Rancho too possibly. Would need more pics up close for a definite on which one though assuming they weren't just repainted by PO.

NickyVswole 09-14-2013 09:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 344609

Wattapunk 09-14-2013 09:35 AM

Looks like you may need to replace that whole setup. It's mix/match springs along with a 2" spacer lift with no extended bumpstops. Shocks looks beaten. Can't even tell you the brand. Love the Jeep color though.

NJO 09-14-2013 09:41 AM

Those springs could be factory? Looks like the front springs were repainted? Got a BB spacer lift going on there. My guess on the shocks are Rancho RS5000's..........could be Skyjacker Hydros too........are the shocks white or silver? Hard to tell. Agree with the above though, Id be replacing, setup you have does look like a mix n match from someone on a major budget.

NickyVswole 09-14-2013 09:41 AM

What you recommend for a good kit for on a budget? 3 in bds?

NickyVswole 09-14-2013 09:42 AM

Shocks are silver it was kinda a rough ride when I took it wheeling the first time

NJO 09-14-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickyVswole (Post 4563673)
What you recommend for a good kit for on a budget? 3 in bds?

WHat is the spec run down on the vehicle? 4.0L 6? Soft or hardtop? How will it be used(just a DD on road etc?) and do you load a lot of gear in it regularly?

Most important, what is your MAXIMUM budget on redoing your lift?

NickyVswole 09-14-2013 09:49 AM

2.5 soft top I daily it and I wheel it on the weekends. Right now money is tight so anything under 800 sounds good.

Wattapunk 09-14-2013 10:17 AM

Just my $.02, you are running 33's on a tight budget. Look into a 2" BDS or zone lift (complete w/shocks and bumpstops), and add a 1.25" Body lift. Keeping the SL under 3" will be much cheaper.

NickyVswole 09-14-2013 10:27 AM

What about rough country 4 in kit for 500 bucks?

NJO 09-14-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wattapunk (Post 4564345)
Just my $.02, you are running 33's on a tight budget. Look into a 2" BDS or zone lift (complete w/shocks and bumpstops), and add a 1.25" Body lift. Keeping the SL under 3" will be much cheaper.

I agree with keeping the lift low, but Zone springs are very stiff. 158/200lb. rates and with a 2.5L/soft top combo is not going to be optimal.

NJO 09-14-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickyVswole (Post 4563785)
2.5 soft top I daily it and I wheel it on the weekends. Right now money is tight so anything under 800 sounds good.

If you can go $800 and you want a nice ride. This is what I would suggest.

2.5" RC springs(progressive springs with a soft rate that work fantastic with a 2.5L/soft top setup:1997 2006 Jeep TJ Wrangler 2 5" Suspension Lift Kit Coil Spring | eBay ). Couple those with some Skyjacker M95 series monotube shocks(Correct compressed length shocks that are VERY GOOD ). Run a rear OME TB relocation bracket(20 bucks), F/R OME 20mm bumpstop extensions $40 for 2 pairs), and then a 1" MML ($99 browndog) and Daystar 1" BL ($149)......the MML/BL will help to keep rear DS angles in line for less potential for vibes and give the extra clearance for the 33's your running.

Costs:

$199 springs
$280 shocks (M9516 front/ M9518)
$20 TB relocation bracket
$40 20mm bumpstop extensions
$99 BD MML
$150 Daystar BL
$59 Teraflex rear upper shock relocation kit(gives additional inch of clearance/travel for rear shocks without having to add excessive rear bumpstopping)which can only be run with a 1" BL.

Total $850. If you can squeeze out 50 bucks more roughly you will be rewarded with a high quality ride on and off road.

This would give you a FANTASTIC riding setup(It will be a night and day difference compared to how it rides now)that is perfectly dialed in in terms of tire clearance

NickyVswole 09-14-2013 12:09 PM

Thanks a ton man for all the info. Might be a newb question but is it mostly all about keeping the lowest lift as possible on these wranglers? I rarely see much on bigger than a 3 inch. I know clearance isn't much of an issue especially if flat fenders are added.

NJO 09-14-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickyVswole (Post 4567089)
Thanks a ton man for all the info. Might be a newb question but is it mostly all about keeping the lowest lift as possible on these wranglers? I rarely see much on bigger than a 3 inch. I know clearance isn't much of an issue especially if flat fenders are added.

Keeping the suspension lift lower means better geometry of the suspension and drivetrain. Basically lift just enough to properly fit the tires your going to run. Going with a smaller suspension lift in combination with a bodylift helps to achieve these goals.

NickyVswole 09-14-2013 04:11 PM

How is this kit for an option?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=380701506452

Also adding a 33in spare will that extra weight on the rear mess with anything? Or hardly be noticeable?
Thanks alot jeepers

NJO 09-14-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickyVswole (Post 4572289)
How is this kit for an option?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=380701506452

Also adding a 33in spare will that extra weight on the rear mess with anything? Or hardly be noticeable?
Thanks alot jeepers

If your just trying to do it dirt cheap, then by all means its your right. But if you want a noticeable difference in ride quality, Im not steering you wrong and you will spend more money up front........but in the long run, you will spend LESS.

That kit gives a SL of over 3".......more than likely you will have driveline vibrations, the shocks on that kid are substandard. Will it work? Yep it will, will it be as good as the setup I pointed you towards above. Nope. Will it be better than what you have now? Maybe due to age and condition of components.

NickyVswole 09-14-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJO (Post 4573145)

If your just trying to do it dirt cheap, then by all means its your right. But if you want a noticeable difference in ride quality, Im not steering you wrong and you will spend more money up front........but in the long run, you will spend LESS.

That kit gives a SL of over 3".......more than likely you will have driveline vibrations, the shocks on that kid are substandard. Will it work? Yep it will, will it be as good as the setup I pointed you towards above. Nope. Will it be better than what you have now? Maybe due to age and condition of components.

Makes perfect sense. So anything over a 3" SL the transfer case drop isn't enough to fix the vibrations? Even if my budget was greater would you still recommend a lower SL with a BL? Or should I just go with a SL and not get it till I have the money to do it right?

NJO 09-14-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickyVswole (Post 4573281)
Makes perfect sense. So anything over a 3" SL the transfer case drop isn't enough to fix the vibrations? Even if my budget was greater would you still recommend a lower SL with a BL? Or should I just go with a SL and not get it till I have the money to do it right?

A lower SL with BL is always going to be better than just a SL. Again due to geometry and driveline angles.

NickyVswole 09-14-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJO (Post 4573329)

A lower SL with BL is always going to be better than just a SL. Again due to geometry and driveline angles.

Is the mml completely necessary?
Is a sye and cv not worth the money on a SL lift?

NJO 09-14-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickyVswole (Post 4573385)
Is the mml completely necessary?
Is a sye and cv not worth the money on a SL lift?

A SYE/DS adds about $500 to your cost. Of course you can do that, but you stated $800 budget max roughly.

Doing a MML with the BL is a very good idea.

The BL helps to clear your tires while maintaining better suspension geometry.

The MML helps with your driveline angles on low lifts and reduces the potential of vibes WITHOUT needing to do a TC drop which is IMO a hack way getting your driveline angles in spec. since your just dropping that shovel skid lower to the ground which for off roading is not a good thing to do.

NickyVswole 09-14-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJO (Post 4573481)
A SYE/DS adds about $500 to your cost. Of course you can do that, but you stated $800 budget max roughly.

Doing a MML with the BL is a very good idea.

The BL helps to clear your tires while maintaining better suspension geometry.

The MML helps with your driveline angles on low lifts and reduces the potential of vibes WITHOUT needing to do a TC drop which is IMO a hack way getting your driveline angles in spec. since your just dropping that shovel skid lower to the ground which for off roading is not a good thing to do.

Your the man thanks for all the help btw.
It all depends on how long I put up with my lift I have now. I need to put a new clutch in and I was wanting to get ahold of some flat fenders and go from there and see what size lift I would need. I also wanted a rear bumper with a tire carrier so I can have a oversized spare.

NJO 09-14-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickyVswole (Post 4573593)
Your the man thanks for all the help btw.
It all depends on how long I put up with my lift I have now. I need to put a new clutch in and I was wanting to get ahold of some flat fenders and go from there and see what size lift I would need. I also wanted a rear bumper with a tire carrier so I can have a oversized spare.

Work from the inside out. Do the clutch first, while your at it do your BL/MML, then do your suspension, then your bumpers, fenders etc last.

NickyVswole 09-14-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJO (Post 4573641)
Work from the inside out. Do the clutch first, while your at it do your BL/MML, then do your suspension, then your bumpers, fenders etc last.

So the bl and Mml is basically a better way to line up the driveline instead of dropping the tc

NJO 09-14-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickyVswole (Post 4574729)

So the bl and Mml is basically a better way to line up the driveline instead of dropping the tc

Yes. Along with giving ur tires a bit more uptravel clearance.

NickyVswole 09-14-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJO (Post 4574937)

Yes. Along with giving ur tires a bit more uptravel clearance.

Alright last question. If I upgrade my lift later on would I need to remove the Mml? or will that help it all line up too?

NJO 09-14-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickyVswole (Post 4575041)
Alright last question. If I upgrade my lift later on would I need to remove the Mml? or will that help it all line up too?

Nope, keep the MML/BL.......they will also allow you to do a nice tummy tuck down the road as well. Just be aware, that a taller lift does not necessarily mean an "upgrade". In many ways it can be a downgrade.

NickyVswole 09-14-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJO (Post 4575457)
Nope, keep the MML/BL.......they will also allow you to do a nice tummy tuck down the road as well. Just be aware, that a taller lift does not necessarily mean an "upgrade". In many ways it can be a downgrade.

Interesting. I think the 3 and some change will and should keep me plenty happy