Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Need help figuring out Electrical issue (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/need-help-figuring-out-electrical-issue-293873.html)

Gtdrty 09-15-2013 09:55 AM

Need help figuring out Electrical issue

I have a 2012 JW Sport. The battery has been tested & shows to be good, but I have to jump start it every time. Then while driving, all warning lights on the dash blink erratically and it dings every five seconds. Occasionally the wipers go off when I use my turn signal. Anybody have any ideas or suggestions?

Ray6782 09-25-2013 01:39 PM

Gtdrty,

My best suggestion would be to take your Jeep back to whomever you bought it from and have them fix it! You have computer problems there and that needs to be looked at by qualified people......Don't mess with it! You'll only do more damage.....Take it from an electrician...There's too many gizmos and whatnots in the electrical to "tinker" with....It needs to be analyzed by a pro. Good luck....

Ray6782

5JKs 09-25-2013 01:44 PM

Let the dealer look at it. It should be under warranty. (bad cable, ground, alternator...)

wrh3 09-25-2013 03:46 PM

Could be something simple or a failing TIPM. Let the dealer resolve it.

gorillahydrographics 09-25-2013 03:58 PM

You have a short somewhere...

Even techs who deal with electrical gremlins all the time will tell you that its no project for the faint of heart.

I had a 2012 GMC Denali that had similar issues...after 6 months in and out of the dealership they got me a new one.....

Now some other sucker has that damn thing...poor bast*rds.

panthermark 09-25-2013 04:05 PM

A 2012? That thing would have been at the dealer after the 2nd jump. (I would have assumed I left something on the first time the battery died).

gorillahydrographics 09-25-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panthermark (Post 4854961)
A 2012? That thing would have been at the dealer after the 2nd jump. (I would have assumed I left something on the first time the battery died).

I bought it used....got a good deal on it..now I know why. It wasnt a daily driver..thank god.

The dealer seemed to think something like the DVD system, audio system,or alarm was leaving a circuit open and draining the battery.

They replaced everything...NAV, DVD and screens, alarm, all power door and Lock actuators, AC controls, even the instrument cluster.

Under the hood they replaced battery, cables, alternator, computer, and some relays I think.

It didnt happen all the time ...just when it was the worst time t ohave your vehicle not start.

And CARFAX....it doesnt always have all the info on a vehicle.

EnRoute 11-13-2013 07:33 AM

I just got rid of my Chevy Avalanche which had similar issues. I had to replace my alternator about five times in ten years. The voltage regulator built in was the problem. High or low voltages even intermittently wreak havoc. I finally upgraded to a larger amp alternator and the problem went away. I know this should not make a difference, but I think the voltage regulator was beefier as well. Good luck with the gremlin.

WorkingMan 11-13-2013 08:37 AM

I guess the question I have is "Is the battery discharged when you need to jump it?" Or is it just attaching the jumper cables provides a better circuit for power to start.

If the battery is being discharged then place an ammeter between the battery and the positive lead and see if any and how much current is being drawn when it is turned off. Then start pulling fuses until the current drops to near zero. There will always me a few milliamps being drawn by the clock and such but to drain the battery you need a few amps at least. So look for something drawing more than an amp or two.

If the battery is not actually being discharged then the problem lies in the starting circuit I would think.

michaeldc46 11-13-2013 08:46 AM

Sounds like a "flakey" ground .........trace ground wire from negative battery post (make sure that is clean and tight) to attachment point to vehicle - again clean metal to metal contact and tighten. Also check positive terminal - clean and tight. A bad ground has had me "chasing my tail" on intermittent electrical issues - started and ran fine, but all sorts of sporadic electrical problems - found loose ground, corroded ground - corrected the bad grounds and everything was fine.

WorkingMan 11-13-2013 08:56 AM

A "flakey ground" would make perfect sense if when the Jeep is jump started the ground connection made by the jumper cables is done correctly and made to the frame and not the negative battery post. Then the circuit is complete without using the battery ground and once started the "Flakey ground" is enough to run the electrics but occasionally gets interrupted causing warning lights to flash etc.

If this was the cause I'd just replace the whole ground cable and ensure good connections at both ends.