Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Hard Door Storage; To Hang or Not to Hang? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/hard-door-storage-to-hang-or-not-to-hang-293953.html)

FXnut 09-15-2013 10:40 AM

Hard Door Storage; To Hang or Not to Hang?
 
Hey guys, so I like to plan ahead and am looking at different options for storing my hard doors in the future, and I've noticed lots of people hang their hard doors on various hooks available at Home Depot and I'm curious to know if anyone has had any issues with separating welds or warped doors from the excess weight on the window frame?

I'm wondering if hanging or building a "door cart" is the best solution, and I'm curious to know what fellow Jeepers are doing.

Also if you hang, do you hang from window frame or door pins?

Can you please let me know if you hang or cart and what your experience has been, either positive or negative and your views of pros and cons of either solution.

Thank you!

StarBrite 09-15-2013 10:45 AM

Closing on a new house at the end of the month where we will actually be able to DO something like this! Can't wait to hear everyone's opinion!

Thanks, FX!

UgaTyler 09-15-2013 10:50 AM

Mine lean against the wall in my garage, so….. None of the above. I have a padded floor in my jeep's garage so it doesn't hurt the doors. I will probably purchase some ACE door hangers in the future though.

Barmanvarn 09-15-2013 10:52 AM

I use padded hangars that go in the window frame. That being said I did go buy better lag bolts to hold it after one snapped as I was installing.

My doors have been on the hangar since spring. No issues. And keeps them off the floor and out of the way.

FXnut 09-15-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarBrite (Post 4589577)
Closing on a new house at the end of the month where we will actually be able to DO something like this! Can't wait to hear everyone's opinion!

Thanks, FX!


Congrats on the new house!

For me, I'm torn.. Part of me wants to build hangers for window frame storage to keep the doors up and away from my 4 year old son, and the other part of me feels the excess weight may be detrimental to the door if hung. I had a set of CJ doors years ago that I used to hang, and they did start to come apart and rust between the window frame and main door structure.. Granted, they were old and CJ doors I would assume are built differently than today's JK doors.. but in my mind it still has me a bit concerned and hesitant to hang.

Also, my doors will be off for most likely the entire summer or a good part of it (I plan on buying Bestop soft doors and Trektop over the winter) so they would be hanging a couple months at a time.

Hanging from door pins concerns me a bit about "tweaking" the position of the pins from hanging from this point for a long period of time.

What I think would be ideal and I would love to see is a combination of a pin hanging system with a door striker point to help spread the weight load naturally like if the door was actually on the Jeep. I would see this as the perfect solution.. (hmmmm... wheels turning....)

Barmanvarn 09-15-2013 10:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
In case this helps you decide.

Just use high grade lag bolts. :)

Attachment 348073

Tagg 09-15-2013 11:06 AM

Mine have VentVisors on them so you Cannot hang them from the window tops. You have to use a cart to support them or set them on the floor and lean against the wall.

FXnut 09-15-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barmanvarn (Post 4589785)
In case this helps you decide.

Just use high grade lag bolts. :)

Any concerns at all about future separation in the circled area below?:


http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/8996/abir.jpg

StarBrite 09-15-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FXnut (Post 4589721)
Congrats on the new house!

Hanging from door pins concerns me a bit about "tweaking" the position of the pins from hanging from this point for a long period of time.

What I think would be ideal and I would love to see is a combination of a pin hanging system with a door striker point to help spread the weight load naturally like if the door was actually on the Jeep. I would see this as the perfect solution.. (hmmmm... wheels turning....)

Thanks! We are REALLY looking forward to it!

I was thinking along the same lines, but I am not super mechanically inclined. I was wondering about maybe those same hooks that are used through the window instead used underneath, more like a shelf for them to sit on, and then another set through the window opening, just barely touching in case one of the bottom arms gave out. And then somehow (bungee, ratchet straps, something) securing the doors so they can't tip or swing.

As I said, I'm not a mechanical genius and there are probably a dozen reasons why this is a worse idea. But I'm one that goes for OVER safe than under safe. :happyyes:

Barmanvarn 09-15-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FXnut (Post 4589929)

Any concerns at all about future separation in the circled area below?:

I was worried when I first hung them but got used to it over time. Personally I have no concerns.

chopperbobby 09-15-2013 08:22 PM

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/5909/unan.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

No problems so far. but they are only up maybe a week at a time. Lots of rain and it is my dd

Fly2crawl 09-15-2013 08:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
$4 at Home Depot, eye bolts and put the hinge pins through. Doors mount the same way they do on the jeep.

jeepers29 09-16-2013 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fly2crawl (Post 4602753)
$4 at Home Depot, eye bolts and put the hinge pins through. Doors mount the same way they do on the jeep.


X2 I did this exact same thing for my TJ. No added stress to the window frame and they fold flat against the wall. Less that $100 per door. and took maybe 5 minutes.

Cdwright 09-16-2013 07:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FXnut (Post 4589481)
Hey guys, so I like to plan ahead and am looking at different options for storing my hard doors in the future, and I've noticed lots of people hang their hard doors on various hooks available at Home Depot and I'm curious to know if anyone has had any issues with separating welds or warped doors from the excess weight on the window frame?

I'm wondering if hanging or building a "door cart" is the best solution, and I'm curious to know what fellow Jeepers are doing.

Also if you hang, do you hang from window frame or door pins?

Can you please let me know if you hang or cart and what your experience has been, either positive or negative and your views of pros and cons of either solution.

Thank you!

Door hanger from skinny pedal. Hangs from the pins. Put it at a good height and you can pop the doors off, turn and put them on the hanger.

FXnut 09-16-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cdwright (Post 4610289)
Door hanger from skinny pedal. Hangs from the pins. Put it at a good height and you can pop the doors off, turn and put them on the hanger.


Wow that looks like a nice setup! Do you have any pics by chance of the product without the doors hung?

jdambm 09-16-2013 10:03 PM

I use the skinny pedal door hangers and love them. They are very sturdy and have worked great all summer. If you go with these just be prepared to wait. I copied Kramer 2k and did I say I love these?

RubiJK12 09-16-2013 10:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used a storage cabinet for mine. With wheels on the bottom, I can move it around.
This picture has the half doors for the Unlimited that I sold. It holds all four full doors.
Still have the half doors and cabinet for sale for the Unlimited.

it does take a little room but really worked for me.
Good luck

COStrider 09-16-2013 11:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barmanvarn (Post 4589681)
I use padded hangars that go in the window frame. That being said I did go buy better lag bolts to hold it after one snapped as I was installing.

My doors have been on the hangar since spring. No issues. And keeps them off the floor and out of the way.

Yup
Two deep

Attachment 354057


Screwed into both wall studs and rafter. Overkill safety eye bolt with rope barely under tension.
Attachment 354073

milani 09-17-2013 08:52 AM

http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/r...828_143017.jpg

Mounted brackets 16" on center and bent slightly inwards, just fits... Used the pool noodles cut at 16 1/2" and 21" pieces to protect the window seals.

beckologist 09-17-2013 10:34 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Made a set of cabinets.

CCA4 09-17-2013 11:32 AM

A garage, a garage! My kingdom for a garage!

Jealous of the setups in this thread, you guys are pretty handy. Mine just lean against the wall in my dining room until my fiance gets tired of tripping over them :lmao:

MotorCityJK 09-17-2013 11:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I've posted my setup before but will share again here. These are the old '10's doors but haven't changed anything other that we use two pair of pants hangers per rear side window and hang those behind the doors. Rear window I just drape the rail across two sets of hooks.

Used pipe insulation over the padding that came with the hooks. Have had not one issue. Wasn't comfortable hanging from just the hinge pins without the striker supported too (like when on the body).

hair2831 09-17-2013 01:53 PM

I just throw a couple of cheap towels on the floor and prop them up against the wall. I would be afraid of the doors falling if I mounted them on the wall, but it sure looks good and keeps them out of the way.

COStrider 09-18-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotorCityJK (Post 4644297)
I've posted my setup before but will share again here. These are the old '10's doors but haven't changed anything other that we use two pair of pants hangers per rear side window and hang those behind the doors. Rear window I just drape the rail across two sets of hooks.

Used pipe insulation over the padding that came with the hooks. Have had not one issue. Wasn't comfortable hanging from just the hinge pins without the striker supported too (like when on the body).

Omg. Are those your freedom tops behind the doors!? Laying directly on the concrete. Aaaaaaaaaaaa

MotorCityJK 09-19-2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COStrider (Post 4688385)
Omg. Are those your freedom tops behind the doors!? Laying directly on the concrete. Aaaaaaaaaaaa

Hell no! lol Would never do that. That's an old piece of salvaged wainscoting that we plan to use when we redo our guest bath. Our '14 is softtop only now but when we had the Mango Tango '10 the freedom panels went into the basement in the bag for the season.

COStrider 09-19-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotorCityJK (Post 4695697)

Hell no! lol Would never do that. That's an old piece of salvaged wainscoting that we plan to use when we redo our guest bath. Our '14 is softtop only now but when we had the Mango Tango '10 the freedom panels went into the basement in the bag for the season.

Ohhhh. The color looked similar and I guess I was fooled, once again. Lol.

Drreeww 09-19-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hair2831 (Post 4647225)
I just throw a couple of cheap towels on the floor and prop them up against the wall. I would be afraid of the doors falling if I mounted them on the wall, but it sure looks good and keeps them out of the way.

+1 .. I do the same thing

Dare 09-19-2013 11:35 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I had CJ doors split in the past also so I was a bit paranoid about this...so mine are supported on the bottom and the top is just to keep them against the wall, for the new one we will be doing the same thing once I make some more wall space in the spring.

JTE 09-19-2013 12:50 PM

I cart mine because I had the material on hand and wouldn't have to rearrange the garage.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...ps052f4950.jpg

milani 09-19-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTE (Post 4702097)
I cart mine because I had the material on hand and wouldn't have to rearrange the garage.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...ps052f4950.jpg

That is probably the coolest DIY rack I've seen thus far...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 PM.