Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Auto vs Stick (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/auto-vs-stick-29549.html)

WhiteRAVE 04-23-2009 11:22 AM

Auto vs Stick

I am looking to get a jk and wanted to get your opinion of auto vs stick. Here are my req

1) Its a DD in SoCali
2) My wife can't drive a stick
3) I can 4x4 but i am not expert and never done any rock crawlin

I personally perfer the stick but my dd car is a stick and it is horrible in SoCali with traffic. I guess what i a really asking is getting a automatic make it that much harder to 4x4 or put me a big disadvantage, thanks

Fatbob309 04-23-2009 11:31 AM

Auto is a gift from God on the trail.

AndyLA 04-23-2009 11:32 AM

I personally don't believe that a handshaker sounds like the right choice for you considering your situation and requirements. I don't think you lose anything drastic on the offroad domain by having an automatic tranny, in fact I think it is generally easier and provides more control (crawling) with less experience than someone without experience using it via a manual.

I tell you personally that I have always had manual tranny in all of my performance cars, but never in my larger vehicles. However, I searched for a while to try to locate my JK with a manual with the specifications and packages and it was next to impossible. So, I "settled" for a package with an auto, and I have been so glad that I did. While New Orleans traffic is nothing compared with SoCal (I lived in LA for few years) --- it is still so wonderful to not have to worry about shifting all of the time.....

Plus I figured I could get higher resale to boot.....and I guess it is a plus.....that the wifey can drive it too......you will have to determine that one..... :P

HTH,
Andy

WhiteRAVE 04-23-2009 11:41 AM

cool thanks

That is what i was thinking.

Its a plus in that i can get one vs not getting one, if your married you understand all to well :D

Also it will get her interested more if she can try, it cool having a wife that willing to do things you like.

AndyLA 04-23-2009 11:43 AM

^
I was just kidding with you.....I think it is great that you have a wife that wants to be part of your Jeepin' fun.......IT IS DEFINITELY A PLUS, trust me I know.... :)

neo 04-23-2009 11:50 AM

i dont like auto,i prefer shifting my own gears:cool:neo

4point 04-23-2009 11:51 AM

Get the Auto trans.

...........and the wife thing, I have a 5 speed and my wife has put more miles on the jeep than I ever will. I wanted it to stay parked as just a weekend toy but she can't keep out of it.

nicolas-eric 04-23-2009 12:16 PM

Buy an auto tranny. YouŽll like it.

dogsnhorses 04-23-2009 12:29 PM

Because mine is a daily driver and hubby has a real messed up clutchin leg, I went auto.
Stick is fun if you just want to get out and play a bit but if you gotta drive everyday then there is nothing wrong with going automatic.

neo 04-23-2009 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicolas-eric (Post 359790)
Buy an auto tranny. YouŽll like it.

i dont like them,they cost 2 to 3 times more to get fixed,i hate newer automatics
but old school automatics are ver cost effective,it mainly the new high dollar computerized stuff i dont like.:cool:neo

jgano23 04-23-2009 01:07 PM

i like the auto trans better on the trail. it is much less stressful rock crawling w/ an auto. you can pay more attention to not rolling the jeep, rather than shifting and trying not to stall.

iamagolfspaz 04-23-2009 01:25 PM

Im a fan of the 6 speed. My last 06 TJ was an auto but i drive hills every day and it was a dog going up. No stop and go traffic here so the Manny is perfect. And the gas mileage is a little bit better.

tiny terror 04-23-2009 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteRAVE (Post 359768)
I guess what i a really asking is getting a automatic make it that much harder to 4x4 or put me a big disadvantage, thanks

No, it will not make it harder to off road. In fact it will make it easier. If you want to stay stick, I would take Jerry Bransford's advice to Cain, get a hand throttle and use the emergency brake in certain wheeling situations.

An auto can put you at an advantage but everyone learns to use what they have. I have an auto, Cain has a manual. When he can, Cain will be converting to an auto because it's just easier to wheel.

JeepGirl17 04-23-2009 02:51 PM

I'm still in the test driving stage, so, I took an interest in this post. My first 2 cars were stick, and I loved them. Then after having kids, I had a string of autos. I naturally first test drove an auto because.... well.... that's just what I drive now. I then wanted to give the stick a go, and..... something about a Jeep just feels like it should be stick. I was a bit nervous with the steep hills in So. CA, but like the hill assist feature. Anyone who has a stick use that while you are offroading? Right now, I'm SOLD on stick, but after reading this.... I'm not so sure anymore. For the record, I'm keeping my current car which is an automatic.... for daily driving.

So, is there anyone else like me that just thinks a Jeep should be stick? Just by it's nature? I do also like that it's cheaper to buy, better gas mileage.... Plus, I want both my kids to learn to drive stick.... I'm glad I did.

AndyLA 04-23-2009 03:43 PM

^
JeepGirl,
I thought too about Jeeps should be stick....that is what pushed me towards getting a handshaker on my JK......reminds me of my rugged days in the CJ-7, but I have to tell you that I am so glad that I didn't get it...I find the auto to be completely smooth and very robust.......on or offroad. Agreed that all kids should learn how to drive a manual and my first 3 cars were manual tranny, but can't say at this phase in my life that I need a stick to make my Jeep feel like a "Jeep" --- maybe that is just part of my overall maturation.

I guess also.....Not to mention that my time overseas......I got used to some nice HMMVs that were auto......never felt like I was "missing out" --- Hell, you have alot more to worry about than shifting or rock climbing..... LOL

Bottomline: Given another chance, I wouldn't get a stick on my JK ----- just IMHO.

WhiteRAVE 04-24-2009 12:05 AM

thanks for all your opinions this has been very helpful. I think that if an auto doesn't impede my 4x4 which everyone so far as concurred. I think its an auto ftw

crazyredneck 04-24-2009 03:43 AM

only thing that it might have troubles with is river crossings, if it gets too deep, the transmission vent hose might suck water in it. im not sure on the JK's where the vent hose is routed to, but other than that.. not a whole lot,

beside heat is a problem if you find nice long mud pits where you have to lock it in 1st hi and keep it pegged to make it though:cool:...

SGT_G 06-27-2009 03:30 PM

all i have to say abot this convo is that there no manual transmission vehicles in the us militarys invetory. if its good enough for them its good enough for me.

daggo66 06-28-2009 01:35 PM

My first jeep was a CJ7 and it was automatic. I loved it and had no problems. My '09 2dr X is a stick and I love that also. I have absolutely no regrets. It's an individual choice that each person needs to make. There is no right or wrong.

skeeter 06-28-2009 02:36 PM

One situation where an auto might be a problem that I can think of off road.
YouTube - Jeep Flip

With a manual you can push in the clutch and freewheel back if your front end starts to rise, an auto will resist this.

Another would be a fluid leak way out in the boonies. You lose gear lube in a stick and you can still limp out slowly. You lose fluid in an auto you don't go anywhere.

All things considered, I'd still opt for an auto. I drive a 10 speed manual for work, I'm sick of shifting.

fleish99 06-28-2009 05:20 PM

I just ordered a JK sahara. I went with the 6 speed. A jeep just doesn't seem like a jeep to me unless your shifting the gears yourself. The big problem for me is the wife WILL NOT be able to drive it...which did make the decision a little tougher. It's not good in case of emegergencies, but I can count on one hand the amount of times she driven my current automatic (she has a CRV)

I will not be doing trails much, not much traffic and hopefully no reseale. I'm hoping in the long run to make this a 3rd vehicle that I'll have for many many years. Primary vehicle now, old, rusty toy 20 years from now.

daggo66 06-28-2009 07:14 PM

Teach her.

fleish99 06-28-2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 393762)
Teach her.

I have offered many times (especially when telling her I want to buy the JK)...she's just not into it.

keg97 06-28-2009 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fleish99 (Post 393791)
I have offered many times (especially when telling her I want to buy the JK)...she's just not into it.

My wife is the same way....she had an automatic Vette before I met her! She has zero interest in learning.

I'm likely going to just get an automatic though. We do trade off on vehicles every so often and I'm not sure which of the other cars I'm keeping. Both are autos, but with my commute, I'm not too terribly keen on having a Jeep w/stick. If it were a Porsche, I'd make it work :D

Badfish 06-28-2009 09:03 PM

she will want to learn once you have the jeep and she rides aound in it. my gf had no intrest to drive my srt4 but after i took her offroading in the jeep she just had to try it. teach her off road it will make her much more comfortable being that there is not other traffic around and a lot of room to play with. all she has to really learn is letting the clutch out slow and giving it a little gas. just an idea

jeepnpr 06-29-2009 05:21 AM

I'll take mine manual please. Auto's are nice but I prefer to "drive" my cars. Your situation sounds as if you will probably make better use of the auto so if that is what you prefer then go for it. It is true tho that once the wife goes off road she may just like it so much that you will be trading in that auto for a stick in the near future. Plus one thing to think about....if you get a dead battery you can always push start your jeep (not so easy in an auto) Which ever you choose -- just have fun

exmxr73 07-19-2009 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fleish99 (Post 393708)
A jeep just doesn't seem like a jeep to me unless your shifting the gears yourself...

I agree with that...feel the same for half-doors. Just drove a JK for the first time - 6 spd. MUCH nicer on the freeway, but didn't like starting or "stop and go" near as much with the 3.7 JK as the old 4.0 TJ I had. I drive Houston rush-hours and still liked the manual TJ. Now I'm looking for a stock low-miles 2006 6 spd TJ.

jcf 07-19-2009 04:26 PM

Has anyone who changed from a stick to an auto' ever put their foot on the clutch that wasn't there? thats a scary thing

PhotoJeep 07-19-2009 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeeter (Post 393632)
One situation where an auto might be a problem that I can think of off road.
YouTube - Jeep Flip

With a manual you can push in the clutch and freewheel back if your front end starts to rise, an auto will resist this.

With auto you don't have to push the clutch in and hold it down nor do you have to push the clutch in and put the stick in neutral before taking foot off clutch... all you have to do is take right hand and bump the stick in neutral.

The Budd 08-17-2009 01:09 AM

I was convinced I was going to buy an automatic because a lot of my driving is in town (previously owned a 5 speed Sahara a few years back). When I was at the dealers, I decided to test drive a 6 speed for the hell of it. There was no turning back after that. Just doesn't feel like a Jeep without one hand on the shifter.