Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Smooth Ride (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/smooth-ride-29625.html)

CheapJeep 04-24-2009 09:54 PM

Smooth Ride
 
Well i got a 94 YJ as my first car :rolleyes: and i plan on driving it on road 97% of the time, the other 3% id like to go offroad. But anyways the question i have is I know YJ's ride rough, but is there any way to get a better ride. I know for sure i have to get new shocks up front because they're both missing bushings and they look quite worn. Is there anything else to make it ride a little better? I also have DW and was wondering maybe the shocks have something to do with it? :confused:

buckshot500 04-24-2009 10:12 PM

They do make soft ride springs, but I doubt it would ever be a smooth ride.

It's a jeep, you can drive it off a loading dock but it ain't a smooth ride!

CheapJeep 04-24-2009 10:16 PM

could my shocks be the reason for DW?

buckshot500 04-24-2009 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheapJeep (Post 360943)
could my shocks be the reason for DW?

I musta missed the DW part.

Check all your front steering & ball joints for play. The shocks & the steering damper/stabilizer should help, (stabilizer was my fix) but you want to make sure everything else is safe.

CheapJeep 04-24-2009 10:54 PM

i know jeeps ride rough, but this is unbearable. every little bump in the road feels like my jeep is about to fall apart. ive rode in quite a few wranglers and this is definitely a horrible ride. i have a feeling my shocks have a lot to do with it so i'm gonna fix them this week and see if that helps matters any

buckshot500 04-25-2009 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheapJeep (Post 360960)
i know jeeps ride rough, but this is unbearable. every little bump in the road feels like my jeep is about to fall apart. ive rode in quite a few wranglers and this is definitely a horrible ride. i have a feeling my shocks have a lot to do with it so i'm gonna fix them this week and see if that helps matters any

If shocks & stabilizers look old, they probably are. I just threw some moroe's in there, & the stabilizer was a no name. It rides much better now.

CheapJeep 04-25-2009 01:30 AM

stamblizer is hit. i think it might actually be stock, and living in michigan... thats NOT a good thing. it looks like a big piece of rust.

CheapJeep 04-25-2009 12:39 PM

has anyone ever used Gabriel Gaurdian shocks? Are they pretty good? Do they last for a while

buckshot500 04-25-2009 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheapJeep (Post 361143)
has anyone ever used Gabriel Gaurdian shocks? Are they pretty good? Do they last for a while

Never used 'em, but Gabriel is a good name brand. If your gettin a deal, they should work fine.

jpdocdave 04-25-2009 06:11 PM

definately replace the shocks and stabilizer. dw usually is not really an issue in yj's especially stock. after the shocks i'd check out the front end, or have a shop check it out, ball joints, tie rods and gear box.

you will have a much better ride.

sooboss 04-25-2009 10:52 PM

I have a YJ and have a pro comp 4" lift and its rough.. and review on this?

jpdocdave 04-25-2009 10:58 PM

^ ya...pro comp 4" spring under lift is gonna be rough. spring under lifts can make yj's very rough. look into better springs, ome are the best. or soa is a way better riding and performing suspension.

oh yeah, remove the rear trac bar, that will do wonders.

sooboss 04-30-2009 08:30 AM

Thanks i'll look in to those.

Jaik YJ 04-30-2009 10:53 AM

If your tires are worn and they havent been rotated properly or balanced. That could cause your DW along with some of the other things mentioned. I would defintately replace your steering stabilizer, I replaced mine and it made a big difference.
Good luck, the DW is a scary ride.

yburn 04-30-2009 03:33 PM

I just disconnected my front swaybar! that made my jeep ride 70% better!!!! time to do the rear!!!

buckshot500 05-02-2009 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yburn (Post 364279)
I just disconnected my front swaybar! that made my jeep ride 70% better!!!! time to do the rear!!!

I removed my track bars, front & rear. I kept my sway bar (Only had one in the front) because it rides better on the road. I did remove the sway end links & drilled the sway ends, so the tapered bolts wont ever get tight.
A couple of washers & a properly sized hitch pin, keeps them in place until I go offroad. Then I pull the pins, & swing the links back over the axle.

The links need to be turned around, so they curve back over the axle.

When disco'ed, I swing the sway up & put a longer pin (Tractor Supply) through the conveniently located frame holes, to keep it up & out of the way.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...s/IMG_0013.jpg
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...s/IMG_0014.jpg


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 AM.