Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Burnt clutch smell on new clutch (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/burnt-clutch-smell-on-new-clutch-29659.html)

secondhandloser 04-25-2009 06:47 PM

Burnt clutch smell on new clutch

Long story short, cooked my clutch about 500 miles back, had it replaced by a small local shop as I was about 200 miles from home.
Had the typical break in burning clutch smell, but it is still happening during city driving, fairly noticeably. I know this is normal for some cars and clutches, not sure what is to be expected from a Jeep, and I'm a bit worried that the mechanic didn't turn the flywheel when the work was done- even though he claimed he did.

Anyone able to shed some light on whether this is normal or I need to talk to my mechanic again?

Thanks guys!

350chevrolet 04-25-2009 11:40 PM

no, it should not smell like its burning with normal driving. there is something wrong there, make him fix it. as for if he turned the flywheel or not, how long did it take him to do the repair? most indi shops dont turn flywheels because most of them dont have the tools and would have to send it to a machine shop to do it. there are not that many things that can go wrong with a clutch install but finding what is wrong does require removing the trans again so be ready for a fight with this guy.

meyers 04-25-2009 11:57 PM

You notice any slippage at all? I am wondering if maybe the clutch disc got contaminated with brake fluid or something like that. It will seep into the lining and make a bad smell, eventually the clutch will fail. I have never had any luck with the emergency repair away from home route. Always seems to end up causing more headaches.

BARKDOG67 04-26-2009 02:04 AM

I've replaced a few clutches in my day and no it should not smell like that unless there is brake fluid on the clutch like stated above. Its really hard to screw up a clutch install its not that hard somethings wrong and I would take it back. whether your flywheel was turned or not it would not cause that unless your flywheel was really fudged up. See if your bell housing has rubber plugs if it does remove them and grab a flashlight and have a look around in there. If it is grabbing fine and not slipping then its probably just saturated with fluid and thats not good.

secondhandloser 04-26-2009 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meyers (Post 361404)
You notice any slippage at all? I am wondering if maybe the clutch disc got contaminated with brake fluid or something like that. It will seep into the lining and make a bad smell, eventually the clutch will fail. I have never had any luck with the emergency repair away from home route. Always seems to end up causing more headaches.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BARKDOG67 (Post 361416)
I've replaced a few clutches in my day and no it should not smell like that unless there is brake fluid on the clutch like stated above. Its really hard to screw up a clutch install its not that hard somethings wrong and I would take it back. whether your flywheel was turned or not it would not cause that unless your flywheel was really fudged up. See if your bell housing has rubber plugs if it does remove them and grab a flashlight and have a look around in there. If it is grabbing fine and not slipping then its probably just saturated with fluid and thats not good.

It grabs just fine- no slippage at all.

So fluid is pretty much the only option?

meyers 04-28-2009 07:10 AM

Any word on this? You have my curiosity peaked