Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Starter Delay (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/starter-delay-29679.html)

jaxjeeper 04-26-2009 10:00 AM

Starter Delay

Long time Jeep owner, newbie JK owner. The first thing I noticed is that when I turn the key to start it there is a delay of a second or 2 and then it starts. Starts every time with no other trouble. I am used to driving a ford pickup and all I have to do is bump the key to the start position and it starts. Don't even have to hold it. Just curious if this starting delay is an issue or if it is something common on JK's. Thanks

TUG 04-26-2009 11:56 AM

I believe it's due to the key which has a micro chip, and the computer reading it before turning the starter/engine over (security measure). My Jeep does the same.

jgano23 04-26-2009 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TUG (Post 361542)
I believe it's due to the key which has a micro chip, and the computer reading it before turning the starter/engine over (security measure). My Jeep does the same.

X2, i'm pretty sure that is why it does it also.

thaduke2003 04-27-2009 09:50 AM

It also has to do with the ECU checking the redundant TPS's to make sure they're in-sync- Mark W.

jaxjeeper 04-28-2009 07:08 PM

Thanks for the replys. Feel better knowing its normal.

1rootman 04-29-2009 11:27 AM

Just got a JK only had one key, went to Home Depot and had 2 keys made. My Jeep would start then die within second. I guess I now have 2 door keys, if I ever lock my self out.

coshooter 04-29-2009 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1rootman (Post 363503)
Just got a JK only had one key, went to Home Depot and had 2 keys made. My Jeep would start then die within second. I guess I now have 2 door keys, if I ever lock my self out.

Yep, non chipped keys will only run the jeep for two seconds then it dies. Also, if you lock the doors with the key fob (setting the alarm) and then unlock them with your new keys the alarm will go off.

jmartz 04-29-2009 01:36 PM

Mine hesitates as well. It's good to know that it's normal.

As for the alarm, I didn't know mine had one. Scared the daylights out of me when I unlocked the door with the key and then opened the door. :-)

Does anyone know what would need to be done if I were to misplace one of the keys and wanted a replacement? Would I have to order that through the dealer I purchased from?

thaduke2003 04-29-2009 01:39 PM

^ That would be the easiest way. You certainly can't get it aftermarket with the immobilizer. Best advice- DON'T LOSE YOUR KEYS! :) Mark W.

1rootman 05-04-2009 08:13 AM

fyi my jeep dealer wants $160 for a new key

jimtucker 02-14-2012 07:38 PM

starter delay

Occasionally when I turn the key to start it does nothing at all, even after several seconds. In order to start the Jeep I have to wait several seconds with the key off and start over. Sometimes I have to repeat this a couple of times to start it. Anyone else having this same type of problem?

7ekken 02-14-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimtucker (Post 2031042)
Occasionally when I turn the key to start it does nothing at all, even after several seconds. In order to start the Jeep I have to wait several seconds with the key off and start over. Sometimes I have to repeat this a couple of times to start it. Anyone else having this same type of problem?

hey Jim, does it happen with your spare key also? (the second one with the transponder chip in it)

4Pnuts 02-15-2012 04:29 PM

My 2012 Wrangler Unlimited has a similar delay when I honk the horn. I can't "blip" the horn. There is a pause then about a 1/2 second honk. That's as short as it will go.
Does everything have to be computer controlled?
Good to hear the starter delay isn't just mine.

jml 02-15-2012 10:27 PM

I'm getting used to the starter delay but the horn delay? I've never seen that before.