Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   A little info on turn signal..dash light issue (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/a-little-info-on-turn-signal-dash-light-issue-29708.html)

Bugz2008 04-26-2009 10:34 PM

A little info on turn signal..dash light issue

Thought I would post this...just because it took me nearly 2 months to find it.

I bought my Jeep a few years back, its a 99 Wrangler, it had 78,000 on it when I bought it.

I noticed on the drive home, when I turned on the left turn signal..all four lights blinked, as well as bot indicators on the dash..the radio display, and the dash lights.

I bought it as is, with no warranty... and I loved the Jeep so there is no way I was going to make them fix it or take it back.

Anyway..I called a Jeep tech, he told me it was probably the "three way switch" where the hazard light swtch is..so I ran down to a pull and save junkyard and got me one...took it all apart, put it in..and..same problem.

After two months of hanging my hand out the window everytime I wanted to make a left turn, I went to work one morning , I get there when it is still dark outside..guy I work with told me I didn't have a left tail light..so when I got off work I stopped by pep boys and grabbed a bulb.. when I pulled the old bulb out. I compared it to the new one I bought just to make sure I bought the right bulb..and it was different.. so I ran back up to pep boys and told the guy he gave me the wrong number from the computer..he double checked it and nope..he was right.

The bulb I pulled out was a single element bulb..it has one connecter in the center on the bottom...but the socket has two connecters that touch the bottom of the two bulb that is SUPPOSED to be in it..that single connecter on the bottom of the WRONG bulb..was touching both connectors in the socket and back flowing DC through the whole light system and lighting up everthing when the DC ran to that bulb through the blinker wire.

Funny thing is..the WRONG bulb actually had to be forced into the socket because the little "push and twist pins" on the bulb that hold it in the socket..were slightly off..so whoever put that bulb in there actually had to push so hard that it kind of bent the socket out in order to allow the bulb to fit.

Anyway... just though I would share that in case anyone else has all four signals blinking when they turn on a turn signal, I would have NEVER thought to check and make sure some moron didn't force the wrong bulb in the socket!!!!! I just got lucky and had the bulb go bad pretty quick after I bought the Jeep.

350chevrolet 04-26-2009 10:58 PM

this, my friend, is why morons should not work on cars.

slf41002 04-27-2009 10:13 AM

Yep I have seen it more than once!!! I had a customer the other day were the right taillight was bright like the brakes were pushed but the rest were normal.Pushing the actual brake had no affect on the right but did light the center and brighten the left.Come to find out someone had forced a bulb in the right socket opposite from the only way they should go in and had it cocked sideways so both contacts were just hitting the marker light terminal in the socket.!!!Why if it does not go right in will some people push and pry and force things in that do not fit right:eek:

Wrangled 06-16-2009 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 350chevrolet (Post 361965)
this, my friend, is why morons should not work on cars.

Does this mean I can't work on my own? Or does this only apply to other ppl's? :rofl:

NYBA 06-16-2009 02:09 PM

very interesting since I am having a similar problem but the bulb I replaced was the same as the one I switched out--even had the guy from the store come out and check it. The bulb fit without any type of force also.
I had a problem with the check engine light a few years back so I took it in to have it checked--they turned the jeep inside out and found nothing wrong....I stopped to get gas on the way home from the garage and after I put the gas cap back on the light went off....

Ripp 07-30-2009 04:34 PM

I just installed LED bulbs in my 04 and they worked at first but the signal flashed really fast then I turned them off. I turned the lights back on again and when I hit the signal to see them work they stopped working.The lights are on but not signalling. I checked the fuse and the fuse was good and then I replaced all the bulbs back with the factory type bulbs and still the same problem? I can not figure it out???? Is there a flasher component I need to check that could of went out? If there is I do not know where it is located?? Anyone know if it has one or where it is located?

Atthehop 07-30-2009 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYBA (Post 388174)
very interesting since I am having a similar problem but the bulb I replaced was the same as the one I switched out--even had the guy from the store come out and check it. The bulb fit without any type of force also.
I had a problem with the check engine light a few years back so I took it in to have it checked--they turned the jeep inside out and found nothing wrong....I stopped to get gas on the way home from the garage and after I put the gas cap back on the light went off....

I saw this happen when the two filaments were touching and not burned out. It was the feed back, so it does not urt to have a spare and swap them out when weird things happen.

crazyboycustoms 01-08-2010 09:35 PM

Hey All, I am having the same issue as Bugzs2008. Except mine is when I turn the right directional light on. When park lights are off all 4 signals blink. When lights are on the left works as advertised but when you turn on the right it won't blink at all until you turn the park lights off. Hazards work fine when lights are off. I don't think they worked when lights were on. I had the dash all apart and what a wiring night mare. It is a 1994 Wrangler with 3" Skyjacker lift and 33" tires. The guy I bought it from only owned it 3 months (soldier) and the guy he bought it from I am assuming installed all the after market guages. I am torn whether something is wired wrong in the dash or if it is my signal light on the right fender being out. Bulb looked good but when I took it out I found that the wires were all corrodded and it was broke. The plug was not salvageable so I need to buy a new one. I checked all the bulbs and they looked fine. My rears are LED. If anybody has any more ideas or things I can try I would greatly appreciate it. I love forums when it comes to information. I used to use Turbo Diesel Registry (TDR) when I owned my souped up Dodge Ram 2500 and met alot of people and flooded with lots of great information. I hope to have the same happen here as I am new to the Jeep Relm. Actually its not mine! Its my wifes but I have to fix it!