Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Lift Shackles in front, Is that bad???? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/lift-shackles-in-front-is-that-bad-30009.html)

abercrombie_fierce 05-02-2009 08:44 PM

Lift Shackles in front, Is that bad????

OK, im sure that im going to catch hell for this , but yes i put 1 1/4" lift shackles on the front of my YJ and 1/2" lift shackles on the back and now i need whatever angles i messed up, Can someone tell me what degree shims i need on the front and back to get everything back to normal? ive heard that you should never put more than 3degree shims on the front , is this true? Ive also heard you should never use shackles, but they were cheap and i dont offroad. The actual shackle is 2 1/2" longer in front and 1" longer in back. So i only got half that lift.

jpdocdave 05-02-2009 08:57 PM

you don't need to shim the front.

i gotta ask, why did you do it, and why don't you fix what you did instead of putting more duck tape on it?

abercrombie_fierce 05-02-2009 09:01 PM

Because i was too cheap to get a 4" susp lift, i got a 3" body lift, then i wanted it to sit level so i put the 1 1/4" lift shackles in front and 1/2" lift shackles in back, and i thought when you did shackles it rotated the pinion upwards and created a crazy driveshaft angle. Yes i know you dissapprove of the body lift and shackles but i dont mind it. So why do i not need shims in front? do i even need them in back?

jpdocdave 05-02-2009 09:04 PM

probably not, do you have any vibration since you did it?

and why wasn't the jeep level in the first place?

abercrombie_fierce 05-02-2009 09:15 PM

well not exactly the level look, i like the prerunner look, a little higher in front.

jpdocdave 05-02-2009 09:19 PM

if you got no vibe, you need no shim. you shouldn't need them, people do shackle lifts all the time, shims are not needed.

abercrombie_fierce 05-02-2009 09:22 PM

thanks for your help docdave , no vibes here , atleast none that i care enough about to fix.

jpdocdave 05-02-2009 09:25 PM

ya, don't worry about it then.

hey, what is the abercrombie in you avatar for? just curious, i was a general manager over an a&f, abercrombie (small a) and holister for a while.

abercrombie_fierce 05-02-2009 09:29 PM

they make my favorite cologne, abercrombie fierce. Plus i like their clothes.

abercrombie_fierce 05-02-2009 09:30 PM

i like hollister so cal too. They just make really good colognes

jpdocdave 05-02-2009 09:32 PM

cool, i am not up on the new cologne or anything, that was about 10 yrs ago, before my wrenchin days.

i left that fun place, where my job was to party and hire cute girls, where i made a lot of money, cuz i was pretty good at it, to turn wrenches.

i guess if you got grease in your veins you gotta go with it, i don't miss it, but that was a fun time of my youth.

abercrombie_fierce 05-02-2009 09:35 PM

i worked there at the a & f in douglasville georgia just as an associate (or brand rep) as they call it, where i where their clothes and stand by the door and greet people, however that was 2 yrs ago and i had a Z71 with a 350 and abercrombie was 40mins away and i was only making 6 an hr. So of course i was barely making enough money to get to work and back. But it was fun.

jpdocdave 05-02-2009 09:36 PM

and then the rest of you 6/hr you gave back to them anyway right?:D

abercrombie_fierce 05-02-2009 10:00 PM

exactly, or it went to the food court at the mall.