Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   what seal is leaking drip drip (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/what-seal-is-leaking-drip-drip-300297.html)

incizion 09-18-2013 02:57 PM

what seal is leaking drip drip

2 Attachment(s)
Hey guys. Nee leak. Can anyone tell me what is leaking. Its clearly between the engine and tranny. Anyone know why?

2.5 ax5.

Jeeprich25 09-18-2013 03:04 PM

If its oil probably rear main seal. If it doesn't look like oil my guess is slave cylinder. Either way your trans has to come out.

blkrubi88 09-18-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeprich25 (Post 4678337)
If its oil probably rear main seal. If it doesn't look like oil my guess is slave cylinder. Either way your trans has to come out.

Not sure on YJ's, but TJ's use a two piece rear main seal, you don't have to drop the transmission, just have to drop the oil pan.

reno92 09-18-2013 03:30 PM

On yj's the 4.0 is two piece, the 2.5 is one piece and the tranny has to come out. Are you losing clutch fluid? If so and the leak is brake fluid it's the slave. I had both, rear main and leaking and slave.

blkrubi88 09-18-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reno92 (Post 4678809)
On yj's the 4.0 is two piece, the 2.5 is one piece and the tranny has to come out. Are you losing clutch fluid? If so and the leak is brake fluid it's the slave. I had both, rear main and leaking and slave.

Thanks, wasn't sure. :drinks:

incizion 09-18-2013 03:49 PM

Definately motor oil

reno92 09-18-2013 03:54 PM

It's probably the rear main seal, but before you do all that spray the motor off with degreaser and check starting from top and working down. Could be rear of valve cover, could be oil filter or oil pressure sending unit. All these are typical leak areas that find there way down to the bell housing.

jokerchief462 09-18-2013 04:32 PM

Just remember two things affect the location of an oil leak. Gravity and wind in the engine box so look up and forward. Valve cover, distributor, oil pressure switch, oil cap on valve cover, dip stick and PCV or CCV.

That's a lot easier than RMS.

As mentioned above a good bath and then a good inspection. Place a new piece of cardboard under every night and find the leak. If not in any other place you can pull the inspection plate on a 2.5 just have to remove the starter. Take a good look before you pull tcase and trans.

I did and found a very dry RMS.

Toms94YJ 09-18-2013 05:10 PM

Check the back of your valve cover first. I had the same leaky spot. Everyone told me rear main seal. It very well might be, but mine was a leaky valve cover gasket. It drips down to that very spot. I agree with the last post. Wash everything down and then start your diagnosis. A rear main seal in the 2.5 is no easy task to replace. It is a 2 piece seal. You will have to separate the engine and tranny to do it right. PIA! Check the easy stuff first. It it is greasy at the back end of the valve cover, that would be my bet. Hope it helps.

jokerchief462 09-18-2013 09:57 PM

2.5L RMS is a one piece and 4.0, 4.2 is a two piece. Either way you need to start from easiest and cheapest to the hardest. So it is a process. Took me a while but no more leaks on the floor anymore.

incizion 09-19-2013 06:55 AM

This weekend Ill give it a good look and see whats going on, she was degreased last week BEFORE the leak started. So I should have a good starting point on where to looks. This is really bumming me out.

CMike357 09-19-2013 04:36 PM

If you end up having to drop the trans and TC, and depending on how old your clutch and slave cylinder are. It might be a good idea to go ahead and change them out while you have access to everything.

Jeeprich25 09-19-2013 04:48 PM

X2 on that. No use in ripping it out to put in your old crappy parts again. My slave went out and I did the rear main just because. But the clutch kits aren't that expensive and getting the trans out is really the hardest part.

Check your flywheel teeth too while you're at it. If the teeth are super worn or chunked, replace that too for the extra $35.

incizion 09-19-2013 08:52 PM

Good advice ill check it all while the tranny is out. Might as well only have to do it once