Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Zippers (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/zippers-3008.html)

409biscayne 09-15-2006 02:40 AM

Zippers

Dang , i can't believe summers coming to an end . It's getting cold here , no more going topless , at least in the morning . So i need to dig out the soft top from the basement , it's been off since the end of March , anyway pretty much all of the zippers are really stiff , is there a trick to freeing them up ? I also need to have the shop replace the plastic in the rear window . Any hints on the zippers?
Thanks ........................................ 409 :D

Dark Water 09-15-2006 12:22 PM

There are a variety of lubricants you can use but there is always the danger of staining the top and some will acutally attract dust and dirt. I had the same problem with mine as I live on the coast and there is a lot of salt in the air and it drys into a crust. As a comercial diver, I have to take special care of my equipment as it expencive and my life and work depend on it.

The all around best lubricant I have found for plastic and mettle zippers is bee's wax. I use it on the zippers of my dry suits. I tryed it on my Jeep top and it works great. You can get the Bee's Wax in a large chap stick tube and has the similar consistancey. Because it's in a stick it makes it easey to apply and doesn't get everywhere.

I'm sure there are a lot of silicone and teflon and other high tech lubes but this has worked well for me.

WranglerHawg 09-15-2006 12:35 PM

I love it...you guys are putting your tops on, in about two weeks, i plan to take my top off. Been about 95 degrees for about 4 months, cant wait for it to cool down.

Dare2BSquare 09-15-2006 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Water
The all around best lubricant I have found for plastic and mettle zippers is bee's wax. I use it on the zippers of my dry suits. I tryed it on my Jeep top and it works great. You can get the Bee's Wax in a large chap stick tube and has the similar consistancey. Because it's in a stick it makes it easey to apply and doesn't get everywhere.

I am sure what I use is simular to that, I use the wax for my strings on my crossbow. It also comes in a chapstick like tube.

409biscayne 09-15-2006 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WranglerHawg
I love it...you guys are putting your tops on, in about two weeks, i plan to take my top off. Been about 95 degrees for about 4 months, cant wait for it to cool down.

That hurt :D . It's been hot here all summer , no rain since the first week of June , but that's about over , it almost always snows a little by mid Oct . I hope ya get sun burned , just kidding . You lucky dog .
Later ....................................... 409 :)

bmanrkg3 09-16-2006 02:46 AM

ive been lazy a couple nights in a row, and drove home in the morning in 38* cold.. heater blasting and windows up.. no top on though... BRR!!!

FuzzyDolly 09-17-2006 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WranglerHawg

Buffalo weather...

Today (Sunday) High of 81 :)
Wednesday High of 52 :mad:

Buster 09-20-2006 04:16 PM

I bought some zipper lube the the dealership sells, and have good luck with it...

Skitzic 09-20-2006 09:09 PM

The guy at the dealership (apparently his entire family owns some form of jeep) said to use bee's wax if my zippers started sticking.