Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Smittybilt Rock Crawler bumpers, Part 2 (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/smittybilt-rock-crawler-bumpers-part-2-a-30293.html)

n8smitty 05-07-2009 07:34 PM

Smittybilt Rock Crawler bumpers, Part 2

So yesterday my rear tire carrier bumper arrived. I opened both boxes and noticed that the hardware packed didn't match the parts list.:flipoff: So I had to go step by step in the instructions and determine if I had enough hardware to install it. Turned out I would have extra hardware and all that was missing was two nuts. So I removed the old bumper in about 5 mins. Step one of the new bumper involved installing some reinforcement brackets to the frame. That took about an hour and a half and a lot of cussing. :banghead:My wife helped or I would still be working on it. It sure was a two person job. Then I got the bumper in place and of course it took an hour to get the 10 bolt holes to line up. Then while installing the tire carrier I dropped a nut and I think it fell into the gas tank skid. So all in all it took like 3 hours to install with some help from my wife. I didn't even get the brackets bolted to the frame yet, but it's not going anywhere and I'm going to fix that problem next week. I also have to get another nut to replace the one I dropped into the skid (easier than dropping the skid). I got all of it done and found out that the Pro Comp Soft 8's are on back order with an ETA of "a very long time".:flipoff: So now I have the bumper and no spare to put on it for who knows how long. I loved every minuet of it and love the way it looks. :punk:I'll post pics tomorrow.

daanbc 05-07-2009 07:37 PM

Good to hear, now some pic's. You need to line these projects up with some of my days off, I'd be glad to help ya out if ya needed an extra hand. I don't believe your to far from me.

NY94YJ 05-07-2009 08:59 PM

To get the bolts into the frame for the frame brackets, use Duct Tape to hold the nut in a closed end wrench, and a small peice if tape to hold the washer, then insert into the frame via the hole in the bottom, and insert the bolt from the outside.

Hope that helps.

n8smitty 05-08-2009 03:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's the before and after pics.

n8smitty 05-08-2009 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daanbc (Post 369179)
Good to hear, now some pic's. You need to line these projects up with some of my days off, I'd be glad to help ya out if ya needed an extra hand. I don't believe your to far from me.

you shouldn't be too far. Next time I'll have to get in touch with ya and see when your available. Jeep work is always fun.

n8smitty 05-08-2009 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NY94YJ (Post 369219)
To get the bolts into the frame for the frame brackets, use Duct Tape to hold the nut in a closed end wrench, and a small peice if tape to hold the washer, then insert into the frame via the hole in the bottom, and insert the bolt from the outside.

Hope that helps.

That's a good trick. The problem was that the washer and nuts did not come with it, so I'm going to have to go get some this weekend and mess with it again next week. But I will have to use some tape to make it easier. Thanks

zpratt4 05-08-2009 09:22 PM

n8, the new bumper looks really nice. it makes me want to spend some money and buy one now. it's on the list of things to do, but i'm not sure if i'm up for the install, it sounds rough.

n8smitty 05-08-2009 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zpratt4 (Post 369752)
n8, the new bumper looks really nice. it makes me want to spend some money and buy one now. it's on the list of things to do, but i'm not sure if i'm up for the install, it sounds rough.

Thanks, I can't wait to get the spare so it don't look naked. It shouldn't have been that hard. Murphy's law I guess. The instructions are online and I read them about 5 times prior to getting the bumper. Easier on paper than in the garage. Not bad though, typical auto work.

n8smitty 05-14-2009 04:46 PM

Got the Spare today

2 Attachment(s)
The spare came in today. Now it looks good.:punk:

4point 05-14-2009 04:48 PM

I like it. :punk:

Bignuke 05-14-2009 05:05 PM

Looks great thinking about getting one soon. Got to come up with the $$ first. lol

islandmonkey 07-20-2009 12:23 PM

Very cool. So what is the purpose for that cool looking triangle bumper? What good does it do? :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by n8smitty (Post 369595)
Here's the before and after pics.

n8smitty 07-21-2009 06:19 PM

I had to have something that could hold the weight of my full size spare (33x12.50). It was too much weight for the tail gate.

stmcelroy 07-21-2009 06:54 PM

I like that.

Going to have to add it to my wish list...

BFYTW 07-22-2009 01:53 AM

I saw the same bumper on sale thru 4 wheel parts. got it for like 279 for whole thing. I figured what the hell i would give it a shot. well it was on back order. took over a month and a half to get it. Came in and I actually had all the right parts, so took it over to a buddies shop (he has a stereo shop) and pulled it in the bay and got busy... well much like u about 4 hours later and MUCH cursing we had it on. this bumper is a perfect example of you really do get what you pay for. its cheap made crap. It takes two people for sure.. we used three people, and most of the crap doesnt line up right or thread right.

FINALLY to add insult to injury have you tried to opening your tailgate? thats fun. with the plastic bushing on the bottom of the hinge mine would not open, so we flipped the plastic bushing on top and bam it opens... it opens up and broke the zerk fitting off the top of the swing hinge. apparently your suppose to take the plastic bueaty trim off the tailgate hinges to clear the bumpers hinge.. hey smitty... how about designing your bumper better, lets do that instead..

Bignuke 07-22-2009 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BFYTW (Post 405503)
I saw the same bumper on sale thru 4 wheel parts. got it for like 279 for whole thing. I figured what the hell i would give it a shot. well it was on back order. took over a month and a half to get it. Came in and I actually had all the right parts, so took it over to a buddies shop (he has a stereo shop) and pulled it in the bay and got busy... well much like u about 4 hours later and MUCH cursing we had it on. this bumper is a perfect example of you really do get what you pay for. its cheap made crap. It takes two people for sure.. we used three people, and most of the crap doesnt line up right or thread right.

FINALLY to add insult to injury have you tried to opening your tailgate? thats fun. with the plastic bushing on the bottom of the hinge mine would not open, so we flipped the plastic bushing on top and bam it opens... it opens up and broke the zerk fitting off the top of the swing hinge. apparently your suppose to take the plastic bueaty trim off the tailgate hinges to clear the bumpers hinge.. hey smitty... how about designing your bumper better, lets do that instead..

I heard it was better to have a 1" body lift for this problem...

n8smitty 07-26-2009 07:01 PM

yes a body lift would have made it easier. I did the same thing opening the tailgate. Now I watch for it and have had no more problems. Once I got everything lined up it went on simple. I also put the silver spacer plates in there so the hinge of the tire carrier wasn't right against the tailgate. So far I like it.