Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Radiator Crack (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/radiator-crack-303585.html)

NateDawgF22 09-20-2013 07:15 PM

Radiator Crack

Hey guys,

I have a 2002 Wrangler Sport. Just had my fan clutch replaced a year ago for overheating problems. Today, jeep overheated real quick, shut her off and theres a crack in the top of the radiator spewing out steam. Time to replace that thing. Any links to good how tos? Any recommendations for radiator brands? Is this a relatively easy fix to do on my own?

Thanks!

Gold Miner 09-20-2013 10:43 PM

It is a super easy swap and no special tools are required... pretty self-explanatory process. Start by removing the fan shroud and the rest of the bolts and hoses are obvious. No need to remove the fan. If your Jeep is an automatic you'll need to remove the transmission cooling lines from the bottom of the radiator and plug them while you swap, they're easy too.
I replaced my radiator with an inexpensive CarQuest brand which is almost identical to OEM and it does fine. I think it was somewhere around $100 or more with a lifetime warranty. It's been in for 3 or 4 years now.

Gold Miner 09-20-2013 10:53 PM

also....
If your engine overheated rapidly and the top of your radiator cracked... you may have a water pump problem or other coolant system blockage.
Several years ago my water pump failed suddenly while on a mtn pass at 60mph. The water pressure blew the entire top off of my radiator, oh yes it was quite the sight.
Not necessarily what your problem is, but don't rule it out. Something had to cause that crack on the top of your radiator. Either trauma, factory defect, or excessive pressure.

Medixtj01 09-21-2013 09:32 AM

How do you know if there you have a bad water pump

NateDawgF22 09-21-2013 10:50 AM

Thanks for the help! Do you know a good way to test the water pump? I would hate to do all this work and that happen!

MichTJ 09-21-2013 11:15 AM

I just swapped my radiator last weekend and did the water pump this summer. The radiator is easier, except the last two (out of six) bottom
Bolts are hard to get to. You may only have to loosen these, as they do not have to be removed from the body to pull the radiator free.

To check your water pump, get under the car and look up at the pump and surrounding area. See if there is coolant dripping or if there are dried coolant stains, it's a good indicator. Water pumps will leak from their weep hole when going bad.

MichTJ 09-21-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichTJ (Post 4747593)
I just swapped my radiator last weekend and did the water pump this summer. The radiator is easier, except the last two (out of six) bottom
Bolts are hard to get to. You may only have to loosen these, as they do not have to be removed from the body to pull the radiator free.

To check your water pump, get under the car and look up at the pump and surrounding area. See if there is coolant dripping or if there are dried coolant stains, it's a good indicator. Water pumps will leak from their weep hole when going bad.

Also forgot to mention! I bought my radiator from Rock Auto, it is a Vista Pro model, was $80 I believe +$17 shipping (or so). Water pump from Rock Auto too, it was a Bosch model, non-remanufactured. The pump is a bigger job than the radiator but if you do both at the same time you will have WAY more room to work at the pump / removing the fan. Hope this helps!

NateDawgF22 09-21-2013 08:59 PM

Alright, finally got done with the swap and thought I had it all right... Ran the jeep a little bit and heard a tiny pop every so often. Then a big pop. Lower hose popped right off. Should I have to bleed the air bubbles when I initially fill up the new radiator? I couldn't find any clear instructions on how to refill, but I did have the front end of the jeep slightly lifted when I put new coolant in. Would lifting the font end while putting coolant in be enough, or should I try and run it with the rad cap off to let the air out maybe?

steelerwheeler 09-21-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NateDawgF22 (Post 4757617)
Alright, finally got done with the swap and thought I had it all right... Ran the jeep a little bit and heard a tiny pop every so often. Then a big pop. Lower hose popped right off. Should I have to bleed the air bubbles when I initially fill up the new radiator? I couldn't find any clear instructions on how to refill, but I did have the front end of the jeep slightly lifted when I put new coolant in. Would lifting the font end while putting coolant in be enough, or should I try and run it with the rad cap off to let the air out maybe?

Fill it while running and check after it gets to temp. Refill to full and should be good

NateDawgF22 09-21-2013 10:33 PM

Sweet, I'll give it a shot! Thanks!