Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Another oil question (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/another-oil-question-30507.html)

mikes05unlimited 05-12-2009 01:02 AM

Another oil question
 
I have an 05 unlimited and am gonna attempt my first oil change what kind do i wanna get??? Weight? Brand? Filter? Any and all help would be appreciated. Oh yeah it is an i6 with 36,000 miles 6spd

jpoutlaw 05-12-2009 06:56 AM

double check your manual for specs...... brand is your choice.

MouthfulOfGrass 05-12-2009 09:32 AM

I try to buy American made products when available - K&N oil filter, Napa air filter. But like outaw wrote, it's your choice. For oil I use 100% synthetic, buying whatever is on sale by the case or 2 so that I can go through several oil changes without changing brands (no scientific data, just what I like).

Atthehop 05-12-2009 10:26 AM

I change my oil and filter every 3k, use OEM oil filters (can get them as cheap as aftermarket) and good quality oil. My YJ had 200k before I gave it to a relative and never had the engine open for repairs. My TJ has 70k with not a problem. Neither one ever need oil between changes.

Jerry Bransford 05-12-2009 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikes05unlimited (Post 371089)
I have an 05 unlimited and am gonna attempt my first oil change what kind do i wanna get??? Weight? Brand? Filter? Any and all help would be appreciated. Oh yeah it is an i6 with 36,000 miles 6spd

10W-30 oil is fine. Personally I like Valvoline but any major brand like that or Havoline, Pennzoil, etc. is fine. About the only oil filter brand I would definitely avoid is Fram whose quality has taken a nose-dive since being purchased by Allied Signal years ago. Wix, Purolator PureOne, and AC-Delco Duraguard are all good choices that aren't expensive. Personally, I believe that if you change your oil regularly, that you dont need to pay extra for synthetic engine oil. I use conventional oil and in 45 years of driving have never had an engine problem... literally. My '97 TJ's present 4.0L engine now has 180,000 trouble-free miles on it and it burns no more oil than it did when I bought it brand-new. :)

mikes05unlimited 05-12-2009 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 371229)
10W-30 oil is fine. Personally I like Valvoline but any major brand like that or Havoline, Pennzoil, etc. is fine. About the only oil filter brand I would definitely avoid is Fram whose quality has taken a nose-dive since being purchased by Allied Signal years ago. Wix, Purolator PureOne, and AC-Delco Duraguard are all good choices that aren't expensive. Personally, I believe that if you change your oil regularly, that you dont need to pay extra for synthetic engine oil. I use conventional oil and in 45 years of driving have never had an engine problem... literally. My '97 TJ's present 4.0L engine now has 180,000 trouble-free miles on it and it burns no more oil than it did when I bought it brand-new. :)

first ever oil change complete and succesful, used havoline oil and filter they tried to sell me a fram oil filter and i remembered from WF that they were garbage thanks everyone now off to rotate tires and change oil filter and possibly change tranny fluid thanks everyone for all your help

Jerry Bransford 05-12-2009 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikes05unlimited (Post 371246)
first ever oil change complete and succesful, used havoline oil and filter they tried to sell me a fram oil filter and i remembered from WF that they were garbage thanks everyone now off to rotate tires and change oil filter and possibly change tranny fluid thanks everyone for all your help

I hope you meant to say that that you're now going to change the air filter. :)

mikes05unlimited 05-12-2009 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerry bransford (Post 371247)
i hope you meant to say that that you're now going to change the air filter. :)

woops yes already changed oil filter and just changed air filter too


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:39 AM.