Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   CJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f298/)
-   -   What I did to my CJ this week (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f298/what-i-did-to-my-cj-this-week-306113.html)

harleydragon 09-22-2013 03:48 PM

What I did to my CJ this week

4 Attachment(s)
The CJ forum doesn't seem to get much traffic except for people asking opinions on one that they are considering buying. I guess that is either because there are not that many left or maybe it is because a good old CJ just doesn't have all the crap on them to cause problems like the newer models.Regardless,CJ's are my favorite so I am starting this thread in hopes of getting more involvement in this section of Jeep Wrangler Forum
Some of you have probably seen pics of my green CJ7 ( BadBoy ),here or there.We finished him earlier this year.He sports a full chevy drivetrain with an aluminum head 350 engine,350 turbo tranny,208 transfer case and 1 ton military axles with 4.56 gears. Mechanically everything is new so little is needed but we did clean the contacts on the headlight switch and change the oil this week.
We also have another CJ7 (BadBoy Junior) that we just tinker with here and there as we have time. Junior also has a full chevy drivetrain with a calmer 350 engine,350 turbo tranny,divorced transfer case and 1/2 ton axles.Engine and tranny are from a 70 chevy . Transfer case and axles are 68 GMC.This week we replaced the headers with 60's style corvette ramhorn manifolds like the ones on BadBoy.Then ran exhaust pipes to connect these to the existing dual glasspacks and rerouted the plug wires.We repaired the chevy radiator and flushed the cooling system.We replaced the transmission filter and replaced the pan gasket but still have a transmission leak so that is something we still have to look into.Last thing we did this week was replace the old taillights with old style round ones and repair the brakelight switch.There is still a lot to be done to Junior but we drive him around out here in the country and on the farm.
I will add more as we work on Junior but I would be interested in hearing what you guys are doing to your CJ's.

Here is a pic of Badboy and then a few of Junior..

harleydragon 09-22-2013 03:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
in the previous post,WE is me and my wife.She is great help.Here she is putting the ramhorn manifolds on Junior..

Quinnzeeskimo 09-23-2013 02:13 AM

I know I've noticed the same thing. I dont see many CJs on the roads so maybe theyre getting rarer. I love the raw simplicity of the CJs over the newer models witch is why I bought one instead of a newer one.. but anyways those a re some sweet looking Jeeps. The to do list on mine is far to long to get into doing anything fun for a while. Im still cleaning up after the previous owner.... but the most recent thing I've done is put a rubber barn mat in the back so my dogs have something better to stand on. So far the only other thing I've done is put new Exhaust manifold gaskets on. Boring I know lol:9lame:

harleydragon 09-23-2013 07:54 AM

Yes,that is what I love about the cj's too.That simplicity added to their reliability which I think was the intention of jeep all along.The last few new models have blown that simplicity all to hell.I bet your dogs like the barn mat.I usually do our complete floorboard with herculiner.It keeps our lab from sliding around but she might like the thick padding that you have better.Glad you chipped in on what you are doing.Post some pics and keep us updated

Quinnzeeskimo 09-23-2013 10:39 AM

I'll get some pics up as soon as I can get them on my computer. the interior is covered in bedliner buuuut the PO did a crappy job so I have to redo all of it so it doesn't look like crap. My dad has a 2011 JK and its really nice and everything, comfortable and rides nice but its like having a regular car, it would get ruined if you left it out in the rain and theres just so much more that can go wrong with it, but I guess thats the price we have to pay with the advancement of technology. It looks like you put alot of love into your jeeps especially BadBoy, that one look really cool, with the rear tires set back like that and all

harleydragon 09-23-2013 10:57 AM

yeah,BadBoy had a ton of work..the only thing that is original jeep is the body and frame.Even that has been modified.Look forward to seeing yours and hearing about things that you do to it

87 Florida YJ 09-24-2013 01:16 PM

Do you plan on repairing the body or just the mechanics? Looks like a real backyard ham n' egger did some crummy patch work under 'jeep' on the driver side. And that one fender looks like it has more dimples than my roomies a__. Just asking.

Quinnzeeskimo 09-24-2013 04:21 PM

Who are you refering that question to? Me or Harley?

harleydragon 09-24-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87 Florida YJ (Post 4821585)
Do you plan on repairing the body or just the mechanics? Looks like a real backyard ham n' egger did some crummy patch work under 'jeep' on the driver side. And that one fender looks like it has more dimples than my roomies a__. Just asking.

I really have not decided yet.the previous owner did a lot of fiberglass work on Junior.He did a good solid job but it lacks in the looks department.I probably won't even try to make it as slick as BadBoy but I could add some body panels and paint it flat or camo.It would probably look pretty good that way..

87 Florida YJ 09-24-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quinnzeeskimo (Post 4825457)
Who are you refering that question to? Me or Harley?

Sorry I was talking to the Dragon. But post some pics of yours.

87 Florida YJ 09-24-2013 04:47 PM

I'm really likin' the way you cut out the body over the rear tires in your bad boy. Keep up the thread on Junior

gcaughron 09-24-2013 05:34 PM

Great to see your thread HarleyDragon. I just sold my built '98 TJ and am now fully into building my '84 CJ-7. This is my fourth CJ so I don't expect too many surprises for a 30 year old vehicle. I have decided to forgo any Chevrolet components as all of my friends have suggested. My starting point is a 98% rust free tub and frame, AMC 360, TF-727 mated to the D300. I have a set of axles out of a J-20, 44 front 60 rear, that I will be adding in a couple of years but for now I am using Scout 44's front and rear and since you have to outboard the springs that will be out of the way and the springover will be done. I will finish the Howell Injection (yes, I know GM Throttle body) tonight. I will try to post a few pics as we keep moving with this. I am hoping to have it ready for Rocktoberfest in Disney, OK at the end October and painted next spring.

Quinnzeeskimo 09-24-2013 05:41 PM

Sounds like a sweet build, i cant wait to see pics

harleydragon 09-24-2013 07:01 PM

yeah.I look forward to that too..I have been working on chevys all my life so I know them better.That and parts for them are usually the cheapest is why I use them.I have had several jeeps with small block chevys

gcaughron 09-25-2013 12:38 AM

My buddies and I have built several CJ's with small block chevys over the years. I had an old Matador with 49k miles that was wrecked. I snagged the motor out of it and rebuilt the heads with new Manley SS valves and springs. I was checking out the advertised torque ratings between the SBC and the AMC 360 and thought what the heck. I already had the 727 built and the D300 was a bolt up to it. Just finished the Howell injection and it is as sweet as a tbi chevy and really woke up the 360. I also added a blueprinted HEI to it as I have never had any luck running the MSD ignition on the trails here as they always succumbed to a bad ground after being beat on the trails. The cage is built and in and the axles are going in next week. I will post some pictures as I go.

CJ5_fan 09-25-2013 02:05 PM

I also noticed that the CJ section is pretty quiet on this forum. Maybe because it is called the "wrangler forum"?

Regardless, I am a fan of CJs and besides my 1989 YJ, I also own a 1980 CJ5.

Here is a picture of it and if you follow this link, you can see how it got to the state it is in now....

Click HERE to check out my CJ5 restoration project page

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...n/CIMG1461.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...n/CIMG1442.jpg

Not quite as 'civilized' as my YJ
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...psf6402bb9.jpg

87 Florida YJ 09-25-2013 06:14 PM

Sweet ride. Of course, as with all jeeps, it looks so much nicer without the top.:lmao:

gcaughron 09-27-2013 02:14 PM

Just checked out your CJ-5 fan. I love it. When I was in high school I had a blue '80 Renegade with the 304. I miss that Jeep almost 30 years later. We did everything to include hauling a race car with it which was kind of exciting to say the least. On to other things.
The Howell injection is done. Install looks great and I was able to use the AMC breather which I have hosed to the air intakes at the front of the grill. We had a hell of a time getting it timed. The diagnosis is a bad pick up coil, Summit sent me a new distributor overnight and it's sitting in the shop now. Probably won't get it put in until next week then it's off to my buddies fab shop to outboard the springs and drop scout 44's underneath it which reminds me I need to order the lockers today.

CJ7nvrstk 09-29-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ5_fan (Post 4850369)
I also noticed that the CJ section is pretty quiet on this forum. Maybe because it is called the "wrangler forum"?

Bingo!

:atomic:

:pc-ouch:

:lmao:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

harleydragon 09-29-2013 09:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
We have been driving Junior around the farm a good bit this week.Of course our lab always rides with us.There is a gap between the rear bumper and the body that worried me.I have been worried that her leg would slip in the gap and break it as she jumped in and out.So a few days back I welded a piece of 1/4x1 1/2 flat metal in the gap to prevent that.It was a small thing but we have been too busy enjoying life to do much jeep work..

Quinnzeeskimo 09-29-2013 01:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well now most of my gauges work. kinda lol. they work better than they did before witch was not at all. I finally got around to getting my pics on my computer. The car in the back of the one picture is my other car.

harleydragon 10-02-2013 03:35 PM

I put new plug wires on Junior today

87 Florida YJ 10-02-2013 07:03 PM

Big job. You better sit down and rest for a while.

harleydragon 10-02-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87 Florida YJ (Post 5039225)
Big job. You better sit down and rest for a while.

wasn't much rest today brother..besides the plug wires,I also pumped a tube of grease in the front knuckles on Junior,replaced a starter and cleaned out a fuel pump on another vehicle,replaced the gas line and changed the oil in the riding mower,sprayed herbicide around 90 pecan trees,worked on Junelle's sewing machine and took Sambo for a good long ride around the farm...retirement is hell..what did you do today??

87 Florida YJ 10-02-2013 09:42 PM

You're an absolute machine brother. Sounds like you're getting ready for a government shutdown or something.:atomic:

Raining all day down here so I took off my two perfectly acceptable doors, sanded them down, wiped them down and painted them once again. An absolutely successful way to waste an afternoon.

I'm definitely deducting 1/365th of any money I owe in taxes this year for every day the government is shut down. I gladly pay my taxes because it pays for the government to operate. It's not operating. I'll show em

harleydragon 10-03-2013 08:53 AM

hell,I thought the government had already been shut down for years

CJ5_fan 10-03-2013 12:59 PM

I found a broken leaf spring shackle mount on my front frame so I used this forced repair session to attack a long list of 'some day items' for my cj which included:
  • Removed and replaced lower steering shaft due to slop in knuckle
  • Replaced cracked leaf spring shackle mount
  • replaced spark plugs, cleaned cap and rotor
  • replaced ignition switch (broken while removing steering shaft :( )
  • torqued all visible/accessible bolts on underside of vehicle
  • greased all fittings
  • replaced fuel filter
  • repacked front wheel bearings
Whew, what a PITA..... luv it! :iamhappy:

Piratecj7 10-14-2013 09:01 AM

Winter is coming up here in Michigan so I just installed my hard top for warmth for the winter

Piratecj7 10-14-2013 09:03 AM

I'm also retired so the CJ gives me a lot
to tinker with.

Quinnzeeskimo 10-14-2013 10:30 AM

I just got my hard top fitted as well. just not on yet. it also doesn't have any windows so that doesn't really help haha