Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Taking Jeep off Road Voids Warrenty (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/taking-jeep-off-road-voids-warrenty-308137.html)

danrb 09-23-2013 06:18 PM

Taking Jeep off Road Voids Warrenty

Ok now I've heard it all. My dealer says since I took my jeep off road, repairs are not covered by the warranty. I've read the warranty and no such clause. Also, They advertise it as an off road vehicle.

Love to hear the flames on this one.

Rogerg 09-23-2013 06:20 PM

Your dealer is a douche. Where I got mine they dont care..matter of fact I wheeled with the internet manager that sold me the jeep.

i82much 09-23-2013 06:25 PM

I think the way this works is that the dealer gets reimbursed by Chrysler at fairly low rates for warranty work. The upshot is that the dealer has very little incentive to perform warranty repairs, there is a lot more money to be made doing retail repairs.

Blastek 09-23-2013 06:28 PM

Well, if you damaged your jeep off-road, then the damaged parts are not covered. Same goes for on road damage. Failures unrelated to off-road activity are covered. They would have to prove that it was caused by negligence or abuse to deny cover.

The same goes for any manufacturer. There is usually a clause in there about warranty denial under extreme conditions, such as racing your car on a track.

jkjeeper06 09-23-2013 06:43 PM

What broke? Certain things only wear out early from off roading or modifications

hair2831 09-23-2013 07:07 PM

Glad my dealer isn't an a-hole. They must not want you to buy your next Jeep from them.

Lynskey 09-23-2013 07:20 PM

How about some additional info? List of damaged parts? Pics?

chucky cheese 09-23-2013 07:39 PM

no info no flames

wassup8687 09-23-2013 07:44 PM

Jeep has commercials of Jeeps driving offroad so they'd have a hard time voiding warranty for driving offroad.

If they did I guess the commercials would be false advertising.

Smitty14 09-23-2013 07:51 PM

Shoot.
The jeep club I belong to just had a trail cut and hosted an event at the dealership, where the dealer invited drivers to take their jeeps off road.
Sounds to me like you found a DB of a dealer!

Up Hill Bill 09-23-2013 07:54 PM

Just call Chrysler customer service and start a "case". See how fast the dealer changes their tune......

Unless you just broke something when off-roading. Hard to really tell without more info.

But, the dealer's basic claim, that off-roading voids the warranty is total BS and legally unsupportable.

JKJeepit 09-23-2013 08:02 PM

bent my rear driver side axle shaft... dealer covered it under warranty...
I did it while doing a run called Gordy's Hill in NM...

I think it could have gone either way and I would have understood that..

find another dealer.

NFRs2000NYC 09-23-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wassup8687 (Post 4805057)
Jeep has commercials of Jeeps driving offroad so they'd have a hard time voiding warranty for driving offroad.

If they did I guess the commercials would be false advertising.

Mitsubishi tried it and got hosed in a class action lawsuit with the Evo, as did Nissan with the GTR.

jadmt 09-23-2013 09:16 PM

maybe by off road he drove it under water.....need more details before anyone can start flaming.

ssgjason 09-23-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up Hill Bill (Post 4805441)
Just call Chrysler customer service and start a "case". See how fast the dealer changes their tune......

Unless you just broke something when off-roading. Hard to really tell without more info.

But, the dealer's basic claim, that off-roading voids the warranty is total BS and legally unsupportable.

^ I agree with all of this

ahsumtoy 09-23-2013 09:21 PM

Same here

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty14 (Post 4805313)
Shoot.
The jeep club I belong to just had a trail cut and hosted an event at the dealership, where the dealer invited drivers to take their jeeps off road.
Sounds to me like you found a DB of a dealer!

My dealership holds a yearly Jeep Jamboree where about 50 of us go 4x4ing. While on the trip, I lost my brakes. My dealership is the one that put on my lift. The parts manager was there, looked under my jeep and said the extended brake line broke. They got me to the highway where a tow truck was waiting, took me to the dealership where they repaired it - and they paid for the bill.

danrb 09-24-2013 05:48 AM

A bearing in the clutch started squealing while driving on road. They claimed that the dinged up cross member some how related to my clutch failure. And since I took it off road the clutch wasn't covered I asked them to look at the clutch and transmission, no rock strikes, so not related. Clutch is covered under limited warranty and no exclusion exists for taking it off road in that warranty (read it cover to cover). He said he'd talk to his manager.

dukedallas 09-24-2013 07:02 AM

Thats BS who says that maybe you accidentally ran over a piece of truck tire or some debris on the road... they cant prove you off roaded. Sounds like you have a DB dealer, what you should do is mention them in a new thread (name of the dealership) and if they don't do right print it out bring it in and lay it on the (SNAKE) finance managers desk. Mention you nor your friends will ever deal with them again and let them know the word is out on their scummy shadey practices.

WaltA 09-24-2013 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danrb (Post 4802785)
Ok now I've heard it all. My dealer says since I took my jeep off road, repairs are not covered by the warranty. I've read the warranty and no such clause. Also, They advertise it as an off road vehicle.

Love to hear the flames on this one.

That's the unfortunate flip side of the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. Everything is a compromise, and that Act, while giving owners warranty rights, also gives rights to the manufacturers. One of which is the right to void the warranty for cases of abuse.

And yep, Jeep has voided warranties for off-roading. Matter of fact, for simply appearing to go off-roading. And such has held up in court.

BTW, similar stories for Mustangs. Their warranties have been voided for racing. And for these, you don't need to have been "caught" actually racing. Just doing serious racing mods to your Mustang, can get you into trouble. Again, the courts have upheld these for Ford.

Of course, all of this depends on your relationship with the dealer and its service department. Have a good relationship, and I am sure they will look the other way for all but the most obvious and blatant cases of abuse.

danrb 09-24-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaltA (Post 4814777)
That's the unfortunate flip side of the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. Everything is a compromise, and that Act, while giving owners warranty rights, also gives rights to the manufacturers. One of which is the right to void the warranty for cases of abuse.

And yep, Jeep has voided warranties for off-roading. Matter of fact, for simply appearing to go off-roading. And such has held up in court.

Ya. Just got off the phone with Chrysler. They are passing it to some case manager. The guy at the dealership says cause of damage to the cross member I was abusing it of road. So that implies I was abusing the clutch too. Been driving only clutch vehicles for 30 years (including an M3, which clutch I did abuse), this is the first time I had a problem with a clutch.

Wonder how it held up in court (bad lawyer), because damage to one part does not imply that is what cause the other to fail. Rock strikes to a separate part of the vehicle should not cause a clutch failure. If they do then Chrysler builds a crappy product.

Here is the link for the warranty. http://www.jeep.com/crossbrand/warra...p_warranty.pdf

JEEPDON 09-24-2013 07:44 AM

Never use the term "off-roading" when discussing possible warranty claim with dealers. You were just going "fishing" or "hunting"
or "taking pictures" or some other "activity" when the damage occurred!

KittyPrawn 09-24-2013 07:54 AM

Did you try going to a different dealership for a second opinion?

danrb 09-24-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KittyPrawn (Post 4815393)
Did you try going to a different dealership for a second opinion?

Unfortunately, it's now in Chrysler's hands so another dealer wouldn't work.

Really angry now, this was the dealer I bought the jeep through and they convinced me to get a Rubicon and go off-roading.

Think I'll be replacing my clutch. Replaced a few transmissions in my life, so I think I can replace a clutch.

Seginus 09-24-2013 09:30 AM

I have learned to just go in and say this is broken and no idea why. Not giving them any ammo to deny any claim in the future. Of course, I am not going back to that dealer again either.

legitposter 09-24-2013 09:37 AM

He didn't mention offroading. They're basing this on a scuffed-up cross member.

KittyPrawn 09-24-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danrb (Post 4815817)
Unfortunately, it's now in Chrysler's hands so another dealer wouldn't work.

Really angry now, this was the dealer I bought the jeep through and they convinced me to get a Rubicon and go off-roading.

Think I'll be replacing my clutch. Replaced a few transmissions in my life, so I think I can replace a clutch.

Of course they convinced you to go off-roading, they want your non-covered repair money!

Hopefully Chrysler will help you, but I would have just went to a different dealership first because who knows how long that will take. :(

TrueNorth 09-24-2013 12:31 PM

Went through a similar situation with my dealer.

Clutch siezed and had to have my Jk towed to the dealer.

They claimed because I had mud under my skid plates the clutch failed due to "off road abuse". Funny, I wasn't off road when it happened.

I paid the $1,100 for a complete new clutch kit and took all the parts with me. Not before taking photos of each and every componenet on the service managers desk.

He didn't like it, I told him tough $hit. My parts, my pictures.

Filed a claim with Chrysler service and incuded all the photos of my parts on the desk of the Chryser service department.

My claim was simple.
I sent a copy of my warranty and highlighted the specific sentence I felt covered my repair.

The clutch plate had more then 75% remaining and did not show any signs of abuse or overheating.
The pressure plate was smooth, clean and had not been overheated.
Clutch fork and slave cyclinder perfectly functional.
Clutch fingers not bend or damaged.

Now the culprit;

Throwout bearing.
Outside surface was blue from heat. The inside race was gouged from a siezed bearing and the grease packing plate had fallen off.

Couple weeks later I recieved a check for $1,480 to cover the cost of my repair, the tow and my rental car.

The part of the warranty I highlighted clearly stated in black and white "All bearings in the engine, transmission and drivetrain are covered under warranty"...

Clutch was fine, throwout bearing failed. Case closed.

Point is be patient, don't get hostile and document everything. Names of people you've talked to, dates, take pictures and keep all of your parts.

kbaum03 09-24-2013 12:32 PM

Unfortunately, my experience with a clutch issues is that they are typically considered wear or maintenance items, even if there maybe a known manufacturing defect.

danrb 09-24-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueNorth (Post 4821945)

Now the culprit;

Throwout bearing.
Outside surface was blue from heat. The inside race was gouged from a siezed bearing and the grease packing plate had fallen off.

Couple weeks later I recieved a check for $1,480 to cover the cost of my repair, the tow and my rental car.

The part of the warranty I highlighted clearly stated in black and white "All bearings in the engine, transmission and drivetrain are covered under warranty"...

Clutch was fine, throwout bearing failed. Case closed.

Point is be patient, don't get hostile and document everything. Names of people you've talked to, dates, take pictures and keep all of your parts.

I'm pretty sure it's the throwout bearing in mine too. Clutch works fine, just squeals when depressed.

They also want to replace the crossmember. I was looking and the 1/8 inch steel it's made of costs around $750, Was looking at Poison spyder replacement is thicker and looks a lot more capable of taking a strike, cost $200.

jadmt 09-24-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danrb (Post 4823169)
I'm pretty sure it's the throwout bearing in mine too. Clutch works fine, just squeals when depressed.

They also want to replace the crossmember. I was looking and the 1/8 inch steel it's made of costs around $750, Was looking at Poison spyder replacement is thicker and looks a lot more capable of taking a strike, cost $200.

can you post a photo of how bad the cross member is damaged?