Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   California Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/)
-   -   3rd Annual End of the Summer Run: Last Chance Canyon & Nightmare Gulch Oct. 25-27 (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/3rd-annual-end-of-the-summer-run-last-chance-canyon-and-nightmare-gulch-oct-25-27-a-308449.html)

Cons_Table 09-23-2013 09:24 PM

Here it is guys...that moment you've been waiting for...my 3rd annual summer run through Last Chance Canyon and Nightmare Gulch. I've gotten smarter over the last two years (amazing, right?). In past years, I have set this run up in the middle of the summer...making for a pretty hot run. This year we will be running both canyons over the weekend of OCTOBER 25-27. The actual run will take place on the 26th though...25th would just be to come hang out, and get camp set up. If anyone feels like it...maybe we can make a quick trip out to Burro Schmidt Tunnel. We will play it by ear. This will make for a much cooler run, and hopefully even more enjoyable!!

The last two years I have hosted this, we have made it a camping weekend to soak in the desert atmosphere...so that is on the table again this year. If the interest is there, we will be camping at Ricardo Campground. This is a first come, first serve site and hopefully with the cooler weather we will still have plenty of space.

We will leave camp around 9:00am for the trailhead. We will run from Garlock/Redrock-Randsburg road to the 14...starting in Last Chance Canyon and ending in Nightmare Gulch. We will air down at Last Chance Canyon trail head. Once we get through Last Chance, we will break for lunch at Cudahy Camp. From there, we will head through Nightmare Gulch...which will ultimately dump us off back at camp.

Trail Requirements:

My buddies that normally help out on the trail ran this last weekend and apparently Last Chance Canyon is the easiest it has been in years...and Nightmare Gulch is the hardest it's been. This means some changes in requirements.

-Good, all terrain tires and at least one locker is suggested
-Tow points front and rear
-Spare Tire
-CB Radio is suggested but not required
-First aid kit
-Rock sliders are strongly recommended.
-Last but not least, NO DRINKING ON THE TRAILS

We will discuss any minor details in the thread, and I will keep the first post updated with anything new!! Come out and enjoy the desert with this run!!


GOING:
1. Cons_Table - dessert
2. jeep_spotting_team - Utensils/plates/napkins
3. ToyotaTwin - Utensils/plates/napkins
4. Gonuts05 - buns/condiments
5. Yomondo - Hotdogs
6. BeantownR6 - Chili
7. toad - Mac n Cheese
8. tkfx - sausages
9. Serg5000
*******************************
BLUE = CAMPING
RED = DAY TRIP


MAYBE:
1. suicideking

suicideking 09-23-2013 10:31 PM

I'll be a maybe. (just wanted to be the first to respond) :tomatoes:

Cons_Table 09-23-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suicideking (Post 4809545)
I'll be a maybe. (just wanted to be the first to respond) :tomatoes:

Welcome to the thread rick! I hope you come out with us...it shoukd be a good time! :wavey:

jeff_in_rc 09-24-2013 09:18 AM

I will have to see whats on the schedule but I would love to do it again Goeff!

Cons_Table 09-24-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff_in_rc (Post 4817209)
I will have to see whats on the schedule but I would love to do it again Goeff!

Sounds good Jeff! Nice seein' Bob's old jeep around town...looks good on you ;)

jeff_in_rc 09-24-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cons_Table (Post 4817545)
Sounds good Jeff! Nice seein' Bob's old jeep around town...looks good on you ;)

Why thanks Geoff! Can't wait for a good run with it. I know I am busy the 25th with the car show on base but I should be free the other 2 days.

I will keep you informed!

Cons_Table 09-24-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff_in_rc (Post 4817761)
Why thanks Geoff! Can't wait for a good run with it. I know I am busy the 25th with the car show on base but I should be free the other 2 days.

I will keep you informed!

No worries. The run will be on Saturday. I just say Friday-Sunday...because if we have campers, sometimes it is nice to get there a day early.

Randog 09-24-2013 10:46 AM

Dam it! I've got another run for that weekend at Truckhaven, I've wanted to run nightmare for a while now.

WOKNROX 09-24-2013 10:52 AM

Hey Geoff...
Have you ran LC yet this year? The V-notch is fulled in with sand...:jawdrop:

ToyotaTwin 09-24-2013 11:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ran it Sunday.... last chance is super easy right now did 90% in 2 wheel. But nightmare has got some pretty technical stuff going on.

yomondo 09-24-2013 12:15 PM

Put me down as a "maybe". I'm on-call that weekend, so I'd have to see about changing that. Plus we may have family visiting that weekend, so I need to follow up on that too.

jeff_in_rc 09-24-2013 12:15 PM

You got some explaning to do! Everyone OK?

Cons_Table 09-24-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WOKNROX (Post 4819545)
Hey Geoff...
Have you ran LC yet this year? The V-notch is fulled in with sand...:jawdrop:

That's what the twins said (toyotatwin). They said the whole canyon is full of sand this year. We need a good flash flood to come clear that out so its a challenge again.
That pic posted above is that little bonus climb right in front of the v-notch. They said that line is pretty chewed up now.

I haven't made it out myself.

Cons_Table 09-24-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomondo (Post 4821545)
Put me down as a "maybe". I'm on-call that weekend, so I'd have to see about changing that. Plus we may have family visiting that weekend, so I need to follow up on that too.

Whaaat? We can't have this trip with out the libation station ;). Plus, we had some new stuff to introduce to your table.

Cons_Table 09-24-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff_in_rc (Post 4821553)
You got some explaning to do! Everyone OK?

They are fine :thumb: just showin off ;)

ToyotaTwin 09-24-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff_in_rc (Post 4821553)
You got some explaning to do! Everyone OK?

There is an alternate line before the v notch.... use to be technical and fun, after all the rain its almost guaranteed body damage IF you don't have sliders, lots of fun but it's only extracredit line so don't let this scare anyone off. Slow tip over in the pic, actually putting the truck in reverse it walks its self back onto all 4's. everyone was fine. :D

jeff_in_rc 09-24-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToyotaTwin (Post 4821825)
There is an alternate line before the v notch.... use to be technical and fun, after all the rain its almost guaranteed body damage IF you don't have sliders, lots of fun but it's only extracredit line so don't let this scare anyone off. Slow tip over in the pic, actually putting the truck in reverse it walks its self back onto all 4's. everyone was fine. :D

Good to hear everyone is OK. I would have liked to see a video of you backing up and putting it on all fours!

yomondo 09-24-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cons_Table (Post 4821801)
Whaaat? We can't have this trip with out the libation station ;). Plus, we had some new stuff to introduce to your table.

I'm gonna see what I can do. This is one of my favorite trips. I don't think I'll have trouble swapping on-call dates, but I need to find out about family that mentioned a while back that they would be visiting.

Cons_Table 09-24-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yomondo (Post 4822305)

I'm gonna see what I can do. This is one of my favorite trips. I don't think I'll have trouble swapping on-call dates, but I need to find out about family that mentioned a while back that they would be visiting.

Bring em along :)

toad 09-24-2013 03:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Love this trail! You can even say it's my "go to, know it pretty damn well trail". ;-) There's even a rock lovingly called toad point. Well, there's no point on it anymore. LOL!!

A couple of fairly recent pics of the V-notch and the obstacle before it.
Attachment 375425
Attachment 375433

Cons_Table 09-24-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toad (Post 4825649)
Love this trail! You can even say it's my "go to, know it pretty damn well trail". ;-) There's even a rock lovingly called toad point. Well, there's no point on it anymore. LOL!!

A couple of fairly recent pics of the V-notch and the obstacle before it.

So does that mean u are coming out ;)?

jeff_in_rc 09-24-2013 05:51 PM

OK Geoff, it turns out the car show big event on base is the 26th and since I am helping with it I have to be here, no problems you all have a great time. I sure did last year with the YJ. I still love the pic Yomondo took of me in the notch!

Cons_Table 09-24-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff_in_rc (Post 4828817)
OK Geoff, it turns out the car show big event on base is the 26th and since I am helping with it I have to be here, no problems you all have a great time. I sure did last year with the YJ. I still love the pic Yomondo took of me in the notch!

No worries Jeff, next time :wavey:

Fred1 09-24-2013 07:02 PM

We would love to be there that weekend Geoff but we will be in Borrego Springs for Borrego days. We will be wheelin' and thinking of you guys.

Have fun, Grant and Dakota.

BTW, The landscape here in Anza Borrego/Ocotillo/Truckhaven has changed quite a bit due to heavy monsoonal rains as well. Dakota and I are going to check it out this weekend. (After I grade my yard.) New adventures for this winter.

toad 09-24-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cons_Table (Post 4826497)

So does that mean u are coming out ;)?

I need to see how we do after turdhurdlers run first.

Cons_Table 09-24-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred1 (Post 4831121)
We would love to be there that weekend Geoff but we will be in Borrego Springs for Borrego days. We will be wheelin' and thinking of you guys.

Have fun, Grant and Dakota.

BTW, The landscape here in Anza Borrego/Ocotillo/Truckhaven has changed quite a bit due to heavy monsoonal rains as well. Dakota and I are going to check it out this weekend. (After I grade my yard.) New adventures for this winter.

We will get you out here one of these days ;) have a good time guys!

Quote:

Originally Posted by toad (Post 4832169)
I need to see how we do after turdhurdlers run first.

Don't break anything ;)

Lab Lover 09-24-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff_in_rc (Post 4828817)
OK Geoff, it turns out the car show big event on base is the 26th and since I am helping with it I have to be here, no problems you all have a great time. I sure did last year with the YJ. I still love the pic Yomondo took of me in the notch!

I have pics of that too, it was impressive to see the little YJ go thru there :)

I'm really sad we're going to miss this trip, it was the Pumpkins maiden voyage last year and so much fun!!

Mike has bowed out of a bbq obligation so we can go to Seven Oaks, but he has to make it up by running a reverse drawing for a friend the weekend of this run :(

yomondo 09-25-2013 09:38 AM

Please move me to the "going" list. :thumb:

rebeccakay 09-25-2013 10:41 AM

What is the difficulty of this trail? I'm fairly new to this. I have a 2007 Rubicon with a 3 1/2" Rubicon Express lift.

Cons_Table 09-25-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebeccakay (Post 4846577)
What is the difficulty of this trail? I'm fairly new to this. I have a 2007 Rubicon with a 3 1/2" Rubicon Express lift.

Last Chance Canyon, from what I hear this year, is a walk in the park. However, Nightmare Gulch is much more difficult than in past years with steeper ledges and what not. I ask for a minimum of 33s and a locker to help keep the group moving. In your case, I think your Rubi would be ok. It has sliders, and some ground clearance.

If we have enough interest from smaller rigs, we thought about splitting the group after last chance canyon. Smaller rigs take a detour and check out burro schmidt tunnel and a few trails out there...and the bigger rigs run through Nightmare.

I don't want to discourage anyone from coming along, just be aware that the smaller rigs have a higher chance of damage, if not set up with the appropriate armor (my reasoning behind highly recommending rock sliders). :wavey:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 PM.