Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Front track bar '06 rubicon (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/front-track-bar-06-rubicon-310097.html)

Crazypainter27 09-24-2013 07:53 PM

Front track bar '06 rubicon

My rubi has a four inch lift. Apparently it scares the crap out of everyone else that drives it. Wobbly, all over the place. Guy told me a new track bar would fix it. The lift I put in just had a spacer to drop the original mount location. My question is do I need an adjustable one.

Crazypainter27 09-24-2013 07:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the area in question, it's loose. Pretty sure it's the cause of the wandering

GingerTJ 09-24-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazypainter27 (Post 4830817)
My rubi has a four inch lift. Apparently it scares the crap out of everyone else that drives it. Wobbly, all over the place. Guy told me a new track bar would fix it. The lift I put in just had a spacer to drop the original mount location. My question is do I need an adjustable one.

Yep. Look at the Jks trac bar

PStov98TJ 09-24-2013 07:56 PM

Definitely take that crap off and out a Metalcloak trackbar in there. Also replace the dropped pitman arm with a stock one.

UnlimitedLJ04 09-24-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazypainter27 (Post 4830865)
This is the area in question, it's loose. Pretty sure it's the cause of the wandering

wow that's some sort of f'd up contraption.

yank that crap off, replace the drop pitman arm with a stock pitman arm, and install a Currie TJS model track bar with proper bumpstop extensions...

Crazypainter27 09-24-2013 08:04 PM

Do I have to put the factory Pitman arm back on?

UnlimitedLJ04 09-24-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazypainter27 (Post 4831145)
Do I have to put the factory Pitman arm back on?

no you don't have to......you just have to be willing to tolerate horrible bumpsteer and bad driving characteristics.

Crazypainter27 09-24-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 4831281)
no you don't have to......you just have to be willing to tolerate horrible bumpsteer and bad driving characteristics.

Gotcha

NJO 09-24-2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PStov98TJ (Post 4830913)
Definitely take that crap off and out a Metalcloak trackbar in there. Also replace the dropped pitman arm with a stock one.

Agree....mc tb with original pitman arm is the way to go.

MosesTJ 09-25-2013 05:19 AM

FYI metal cloak is still 2-3 weeks behind. I just ordered my TB. $184. Shipped. So the price and from the looks the quality can't be beat. Seems much beefier than the JkS.

Rayko 09-25-2013 08:44 AM

Should of went with the JKS, or Currie.

Gold Miner 09-25-2013 08:46 AM

Love my MC front trackbar... uber beefy, best price, and best clearance hands down. Although their site says 2-3 weeks for shipping that part... mine was shipped within a day or two of placing my order (shipping was $18). Either way, it's worthwhile.

NJO 09-25-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gold Miner (Post 4842153)
Love my MC front trackbar... uber beefy, best price, Duroflex joint, and best clearance hands down. Although their site says 2-3 weeks for shipping that part... mine was shipped within a day or two of placing my order (shipping was $18). Either way, it's worthwhile.

They dont use a df joint on the tb.......heim joint......

NJO 09-25-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayko (Post 4842113)
Should of went with the JKS, or Currie.

They dont have the clearance like the mc tb has and require bumpstopping.

Gold Miner 09-25-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJO (Post 4842313)
They dont use a df joint on the tb.......heim joint......

oops! yer right.. post amended. My terminology is satisfactory at best, apologies.

UnlimitedLJ04 09-25-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJO (Post 4842329)
They dont have the clearance like the mc tb has and require bumpstopping.

it doesn't matter in this case. the OP has 4" of lift and needs bumpstop extensions anyway for other reasons. in fact, he likely needs enough that either JKS or Currie will also work.

Gold Miner 09-25-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 4843049)
JKS or Currie will also work.

Are there any advantages with using JKS or Currie rather than MC? Curious.

NJO 09-25-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gold Miner (Post 4843121)

No.

UnlimitedLJ04 09-25-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gold Miner (Post 4843121)

JKS & Currie use Currie JJ's instead of a heim end - generally speaking, heim's wear out quickly. the heim is smaller and helps provide the better clearance profile. another advantage is that the heim end provides slightly better steering characteristics vs the JJ due to the track bar pivot point vs drag-link TRE. the smaller end more closely matches the stock TRE drop...the JJ is bigger and puts that pivot point slowly lower. this gives very slight bumpsteer, but this is insignificant to most.

JKS & Currie are also adjustable on the axle side, instead of the frame side. the MC track bar changes clearance slightly when adjusted because making the bar longer at the frame side pushes the bar further out into the tie-rod (at full bump). the heim joint also has less length adjustment possibility than the JKS/Currie axle side adjustments, but for most people in ~3-4.5" range, that's mostly insignificant. however, it does mean the MC is too long for no lift or lower lifts....despite that i may have better clearance at those low lifts.

Gold Miner 09-25-2013 10:38 AM

Thanks for the excellent detailed response!
MC has a beefy heim... I can't imagine it "wearing out quickly" but time will tell. I'm not a hardcore 4 wheeler so maybe not the best tester.
Regarding your statement: "...it does mean the MC is too long for no lift or lower lifts"
I can attest that this is correct. I'm running a 2" SL and the bar was slightly too long out of the box. MC failed on this by not including any lift requirement information in their product description. It was apparently designed for 3" or larger SL. It definitely would NOT work on stock suspension. I removed about 1/2" of thread-end from the spherical adjustment rod to get my fit with 2" SL.

UnlimitedLJ04 09-25-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gold Miner (Post 4844737)
Thanks for the excellent detailed response!
MC has a beefy heim... I can't imagine it "wearing out quickly" but time will tell. I'm not a hardcore 4 wheeler so maybe not the best tester.
Regarding your statement: "...it does mean the MC is too long for no lift or lower lifts"
I can attest that this is correct. I'm running a 2" SL and the bar was slightly too long out of the box. MC failed on this by not including any lift requirement information in their product description. It was apparently designed for 3" or larger SL. It definitely would NOT work on stock suspension. I removed about 1/2" of thread-end from the spherical adjustment rod to get my fit with 2" SL.

i was speaking from a DD/weekend warrior perspective. the wearing out of heims is probably another thing that's less effected by "hardcore" wheeling, and more effected by normal daily driving stuff...dust, road salt, moisture, mileage, etc. hardcore wheelers generally get towed to the trail on a trailer, only go out when the weather is nice, and accumulate very low mileage. that said, plenty of hardcore buggies run heims...but they do replace them often.

IMHO, metalcloak has a really weird thing going....uber long springs that require a lot of bumpstop extension to avoid coil bind but track bars with the best low lift clearance - which can't be adjusted short enough to operate there and only work at taller lifts.

Gold Miner 09-25-2013 10:54 AM

Ok, we'll see how it goes.

UnlimitedLJ04 09-25-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gold Miner (Post 4845305)
Ok, we'll see how it goes.

some heims last longer than others. generally cheap ones don't last very long. there are high quality units that do well. it just waits to be seen what the MC heim is...so only time will tell.

the good thing is that heim's are fairly inexpensive to replace...you can buy a whole lot of replacement heims for the difference between the MC vs Currie TJS.

Gary2 09-25-2013 12:29 PM

The Mc bar don't drop the pivot point of the frame end as far as the other two bars with JJ's do. The less that is changed the better it matches the OE drag link end's pivot point when a stock pitman is used . Which is why I vote for the MC bar .

Crazypainter27 09-25-2013 08:35 PM

What is a heim

Crazypainter27 09-25-2013 08:38 PM

I'm going back to my original pitman arm. I want this to be as painless as possible. Which bar is the best for my situation. They all seem to be around $200 so price isn't that big of deal. Don't want to wait three weeks for one though. (MC)

NJO 09-25-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazypainter27 (Post 4860753)
I'm going back to my original pitman arm. I want this to be as painless as possible. Which bar is the best for my situation. They all seem to be around $200 so price isn't that big of deal. Don't want to wait three weeks for one though. (MC)

Best bet is still going to be the MC trackbar.

Gold Miner 09-25-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazypainter27 (Post 4860753)
Don't want to wait three weeks for one though. (MC)

Mine arrived in less than a week. Just call them to see what their current ship time is. It's not always 2-3 weeks.

brs256 09-25-2013 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazypainter27 (Post 4830865)

that is absolutely terrifying ...... x2 on the metal cloack track bar ... its the best bang for the buck

MosesTJ 09-26-2013 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gold Miner (Post 4864281)
Mine arrived in less than a week. Just call them to see what their current ship time is. It's not always 2-3 weeks.

it is as of last week.