Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Cooling System Problem (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/cooling-system-problem-3102.html)

Black_Jeepers 09-21-2006 11:31 PM

Cooling System Problem

Hey all,

I'm having an interesting problem with my 01 wrangler. It's going through coolant at about 3/4 of a gallon every two weeks or so. Took it in to the shop and they have gone at it from every possible angle and can't determine where it's going. Radiator and cap hold pressure. Holds pressure still when the spark plugs have been pulled. Spark plugs show a slight greenish hue but is consistent on all 6 plugs which if it was a cracked head or bad head gasket wouldn't show on all 6. No deposit on the bleed hole in the water pump. WTF? Anybody run in to this before or have any suggestions that 8 professional mechanics haven't been able to come up with?

TIA

mud707 09-22-2006 07:39 PM

can you smell coolant after you have been driving for a little while? my o1 sport was loosing coolant and I couldn't find out where it was going. My mechanic pulled the carpet and here it is coming from the heater core under/behind the dash. I still have yet to change it out but it only looses a little and summer is just ending. I'll probably do it before winter since I have been riding with the top on now.
A easy to check is just take out your front carpet and drive around till your engine heats up good with the heater on and feel for any wetness by the heater vents under your dash.

Black_Jeepers 09-25-2006 12:30 PM

No there is no coolant smell what so ever. It's getting particulary frustrating at this point. We've done pressure tests, leak down tests on the individual cylinders. Next step is dye in the radiator which I'm not sure is going to do any good other than make the coolant a pretty color. Everyones (mechanics) thought is wait till it really breaks and then we'll know what it is. Not really comfortable with that since we take a lot of long trips in it but I think at this point it's the only choice.:confused:

CM!3 09-16-2007 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud707 (Post 23071)
can you smell coolant after you have been driving for a little while? my o1 sport was loosing coolant and I couldn't find out where it was going. My mechanic pulled the carpet and here it is coming from the heater core under/behind the dash. I still have yet to change it out but it only looses a little and summer is just ending. I'll probably do it before winter since I have been riding with the top on now.
A easy to check is just take out your front carpet and drive around till your engine heats up good with the heater on and feel for any wetness by the heater vents under your dash.

This is what's happening to my coolant. What was your solution?

mr4x4 09-16-2007 02:47 PM

hows the oil look

Triple88a 09-16-2007 03:02 PM

hmmm what color is the smoke from the rig?

Green on the spark plugs indicates the combustion is too hot.

Jerry Bransford 09-16-2007 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CM!3 (Post 137125)
This is what's happening to my coolant. What was your solution?

His leak was coming from the heater core. If it's the heater core itself that is leaking, the only fix is to replace it which is not an easy job since it's behind the dash on the passenger side. So far as I can tell, the entire dash has to be pulled to get to it.

Jerry Bransford 09-16-2007 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 137159)
Green on the spark plugs indicates the combustion is too hot.

Unless green coolant is getting into the combustion chamber from a blown head gasket, the spark plug electrodes won't going to be green from anything. They can be black, gray, or very light gray but green isn't a color you'll find on the electrodes from any kind of combustion heat problem. :)

Triple88a 09-16-2007 03:09 PM

http://grounds-mag.com/mag/grounds_m...g_spark_plugs/

"One sign of heat used by some professionals is electrode color. Many--but not all--spark-plug electrodes have an alloy composition that will oxidize green when subjected to high temperature" :punk:

Tj Bunch 09-16-2007 06:00 PM

It could be intake leak, On the chev 5.7R motor thats real common can't see leak but thats where it goes

Triple88a 09-16-2007 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tj Bunch (Post 137226)
It could be intake leak, On the chev 5.7R motor thats real common can't see leak but thats where it goes

Thats what i'm thinking too but i don't think coolant goes through the intake of the wrangler.

tobycat1 09-16-2007 11:24 PM

Not sure, but i've had a substance leak into my intake before i replaced it with a CAI( The fluid in my stock intake still hasn't dried after over a month). Try replacing the radiator cap, it solved my radiator leak( Just do it, drive up to Kragen and put out the $3)

MOz 09-17-2007 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_Jeepers (Post 22998)
Hey all,

I'm having an interesting problem with my 01 wrangler. It's going through coolant at about 3/4 of a gallon every two weeks or so. Took it in to the shop and they have gone at it from every possible angle and can't determine where it's going. Radiator and cap hold pressure. Holds pressure still when the spark plugs have been pulled. Spark plugs show a slight greenish hue but is consistent on all 6 plugs which if it was a cracked head or bad head gasket wouldn't show on all 6. No deposit on the bleed hole in the water pump. WTF? Anybody run in to this before or have any suggestions that 8 professional mechanics haven't been able to come up with?

TIA

Neee more information:

How does the engine seem to be operating? Is it smooth and responsive? Or does it seem like it's missing and choppy?

When you are running down the road, do you have a large plume of white smoke following you? Have a buddy drive behind you around town to look and smell. If he smells something sweet and sees an excessive amount of white smoke out of the exhaust then you are burning it. Most likely a head gasket or cracked head in this case.

Have you checked your oil? Make sure it's clear and does not look like a chocolate milkshake...another sign of a craked head or bad head gasket.

If nothing above applies, then you have an external leak. Perhaps a bad hose or crack in the radiator or bad heater core.

Let us know how it turns out so we can add your solution to the thread.

Good luck.