Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   Jeep YJ safety (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/jeep-yj-safety-310441.html)

stock-yj 09-24-2013 10:40 PM

Jeep YJ safety

I have a 1992 wrangler and I have been searching about crash tests and haven't really found anything. My family keeps telling me it's "unsafe" because it's 21 years old and does not have airbags. How do yj's usually do in crashes and head on collisions? Should I be worried on a 55mph single lane each way highway? Have any of you guys been in an accident in your yj?

Cryptids 09-24-2013 11:29 PM

It's clearly not going to be up to spec on today's standards of safety, but no car that age is. I saw a head on collision between a jeep and car and yes the driver was without serious harm going 40mph. The jeep was pretty banged up though. I'd say like any crash, the bigger one wins...

Jeeprich25 09-24-2013 11:39 PM

I'm thinking that at 55 mph it doesn't matter what you're driving. But you're probably going to hate life a bit more in you're jeep if it happens.

There's a reason they started adding exploding bags of air in vehicles. Probably more comfortable than face planting into your plastic horn button.

Raiderfan001 09-24-2013 11:46 PM

Walking down a sidewalk can be unsafe too. Tell your family to grow a pair and enjoy your Jeep.

bc3_Jeep 09-25-2013 01:24 AM

I rolled my 89 completely over on to the soft top once at 30 mph........ I was left hanging from the seatbelt....... and scratches on the Jeep. I got out...... rolled it back over...... and drove off......never fixed the scratches....... probably more metal in it than ANYTHING built today.......

Defcon 1 09-25-2013 04:32 AM

If you get into an accident at 55mph in the Jeep, more than likely you're dead. There is literally nothing to stop you from smashing into the steering wheel or the dash, you're done for. Drive without doors and get T-boned? Done. Drive without the top on and roll into the woods? Done. The truth is that the more massive the vehicle is, the more energy is going to transfer into you, and there's not a whole lot of shock-absorbent plastic pieces on the Jeep like there is in most modern cars.

You will probably survive at lower speeds though. I was T-Boned going 35 mph where a guy ran through a red-light and got me. The only thing that saved me was my 3" steel nerf-bar. The energy transfer was so huge that he pushed my Jeep off the road into the grass laterally. The nerf-bar on the passengers side broke bolts and weld and flew off another 20 feet. His explorer was completely wrecked, my Jeep was repairable, except for the nerf-bars lol. Like BC3 said, there's a lot of metal in the YJ, that works in your favor at slower speeds and against you at higher speeds.

shoepick 09-25-2013 05:15 AM

When its your time to go it doesn't mater what you are driving or where you are at. So enjoy the jeep.

YJ Nate 09-25-2013 05:44 AM

I dont know if i'd look at it so black and white. An accident at 55 will depend heavily on circumstance as to whether you're 'done' or not.

The YJ is unsafe by today's standards. No two ways about it. Its probably safer than some of the other vehicles from 1992 though, with a roll cage and whatnot.

Anyway, your familys probaly right. Its not safe. Should you get rid of it becuse of that? Well, that's up to you. I drove my 1992 daily for years, i drove carefully, and didnt have any issues. I was in one or two accidents, but nothing high speed, both low-speed snow related accidents.

teknoid 09-25-2013 06:38 AM

A lot of us have been driving long enough to have had several cars without airbags, and we're still kickin'. Also, airbags sometimes do not work. My son totaled the wife's Intrepid a few years back smacking a telephone pole head on. The bag did not deploy. Recently, a sister in law rolled a Chrysler Pacifica. The bags didn't deploy in it either, and they both walked away. The bags are nice, but seat belts do the job well enough.

Don't get me wrong. Today's standards are safer. That doesn't make a Wrangler any more unsafe than any other vehicle of comparable age though. It's probably more safe than most that old.

jokerchief462 09-25-2013 09:37 AM

Welcome to the real world. Even driving the way your supposed to its the other idiot you have to worry about.

Theres not much you can do about an old Jeep and its shortcomings in an accident.

So what is your risk tolerance???

I have been driving for more than 45 years and nothing serious yet and until recently never had airbags or any crumple zones. Drove a lot of old cars trucks and Jeeps.

Don't know what to tell you. It is a personal decision and yes you will hear from family members about your safety. So deal with it and make a decision.

A lot of parents get worried when their teenager wants a Jeep we see a lot of that here on the forum.

Maybe save up and have a Jeep for the weekends and a car for your commute. Kind of impractical when your young and looking for the first ride.

harleydragon 09-25-2013 09:49 AM

My daughters haul my grandchildren around in suburbans and I am proud of that because they are bigger than most vehicles other than a semi that will run into them.I'm old and it doesn't much matter so I will stick to my jeeps and harleys..

Kytans93yj 09-25-2013 10:31 AM

What other vehicles come standard with roll bars. Enough said. Love it or leave it. I'd be willing to take that old death trap off of your soiled hands.

rykemc 09-25-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teknoid (Post 4841233)
A lot of us have been driving long enough to have had several cars without airbags, and we're still kickin'. Also, airbags sometimes do not work. My son totaled the wife's Intrepid a few years back smacking a telephone pole head on. The bag did not deploy. Recently, a sister in law rolled a Chrysler Pacifica. The bags didn't deploy in it either, and they both walked away. The bags are nice, but seat belts do the job well enough.

Don't get me wrong. Today's standards are safer. That doesn't make a Wrangler any more unsafe than any other vehicle of comparable age though. It's probably more safe than most that old.

I own a wrecking yard and by far Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler products are the worse about not have air bags deploy. I also had an 01 Dodge 1500 that had a head on collision with another truck, I was doing about 45mph and the bags did not blow. It is amazing how many of these type of vehicles I get in that the bags have not blown.

wasomma 09-25-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bc3_Jeep (Post 4839193)
probably more metal in it than ANYTHING built today.......

Unfortunately that will probably kill you at highway speeds, plastic crushes at high speed impacts and saves you partially from the kinetic impact.

And the "roll bar" was renamed "sport bar" because it gave the impression that it will protect you in a roll over.

Although here is a picture of a YJ that rolled multiple times in an accident,

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/l..._872958a_1.jpg

I think in a front or rear accident, you will be fucked up but generally live. If you get a sideswipped or tboned or rolled hard, you're done

BCDonny 09-25-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoepick (Post 4840321)
When its your time to go it doesn't mater what you are driving or where you are at. So enjoy the jeep.

I think that is the only way to look at it. live your life and enjoy it!

Tom95YJ 09-25-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rykemc (Post 4846337)
I own a wrecking yard and by far Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler products are the worse about not have air bags deploy. I also had an 01 Dodge 1500 that had a head on collision with another truck, I was doing about 45mph and the bags did not blow. It is amazing how many of these type of vehicles I get in that the bags have not blown.

I have seen an XJ t bone a civic at 45-50mph the airbags never deployed either

stock-yj 09-25-2013 05:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The 4 occupants of this yj surprisingly survived

1987Wrangler YJ 09-25-2013 06:53 PM

Skin grows back, a jeep doesn't.

YJ Nate 09-25-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stock-yj (Post 4856417)

Holy crap! That gives literal meaning to the old phrase, Wrapped around a phone pole!

87 Florida YJ 09-25-2013 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stock-yj (Post 4856417)

Exactly where were they sitting to survive that mess?

wasomma 09-26-2013 07:36 AM

looks like the pole hit just in front of the passenger compartment, they might have survived but I bet they weren't feeling too good after

vanished 09-26-2013 06:27 PM

I agree not as safe as my truck but probably better than the bike. ;)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App