Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   YJ information request (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/yj-information-request-31520.html)

wafarmtrk 06-03-2009 08:53 AM

YJ information request

Hello all. I am new to this forum but I thought it might be the best polace to get some YJ information. I am searching for a Jeep as a tow vehicle behind my RV. I have friends who are RV folks and also have Jeeps and it seems the Jeep is a good choice for a "toad". Anyway I have kind of taking a liking to the YJ model andd it is in my price rangel. I looked at a 93 yesterday and body wise it was in excellent shape. However, in looking underneatho where I beleive the transfer case is located, about center of the vehicle and covered with a large skid plate, there was a large amount of oil residue most certainly from a leak of somekind. I don't think this Jeep has ever been ofsf road and am wondering if a leaking transfer case is a common problem with the YJ. This thing has about 127K on it and she is asking $6k. What do you guys think?

cooper30 06-03-2009 09:46 AM

First off, I don't know where you are located, but 6k seems high for what I see being sold around here. You can get 97-00 TJs for less than that.

The residue could be from someone changing tranny fluid/gear oil and letting it drip all over the skid plate.

Is there red fluid coming from the rear of the transfer case where the driveshaft goes into it? The rear seal could be leaking....although this isn't the center of the vehicle.

I don't have a ton of experiences with YJs, but I don't recall reading about a common problem like that on the various forums I've checked out.

My 95 has 165k+ on it and the only leak is at the slip yoke.

wafarmtrk 06-03-2009 10:37 AM

Thanks. I am in Seatt?le and on Craig's list it is kind of in the ball park for something that hasn't been off road.
I haven't really examined the oil yet so I am not sure what color it is. Does the transfer case use auto trans fluid

whiteyj 06-03-2009 10:45 AM

Prices tend to run higher out on the west coast. I ran into the same thing in 2005 when I bought my 94. But $6k with possible leaks and 127k on the clock does seem high. Maybe I missed it but what motor is in it?

Been in Seattle since Feb--up from the SF Bay Area. Moving out to Issaquah this weekend.

cooper30 06-03-2009 10:45 AM

Yes, the transfer case uses ATF.

yburn 06-03-2009 10:46 AM

I would bet its the rear main seal leaking,or the rear output seal on the slipyoke.And yes the t case uses trans fulid.You should also check ebay $6 grand seams way to high for a stock 93,

cooper30 06-03-2009 11:27 AM

Yea, not only am I in the east, but I'm in the northeast. Rust is very prevalent on most older vehicles.

wafarmtrk 06-03-2009 03:26 PM

I forgot to tell you guys,it is six cylinder automatic. I also checked KBBand it sayd in excellent condition it is only worth about $4700. She has two soft tops, the hard top and a tonneau cover. I think I will have it checked out at a local 4x4 shop.

NAVYCHIEF 06-03-2009 06:33 PM

i went on to craigs list in seattle. looks like there could be better deals than the 93.:punk:

wafarmtrk 06-03-2009 07:25 PM

Thanks guys I am still looking and keeping an open mind.

buckshot500 06-03-2009 08:47 PM

The T-case comes stock with a slipyolk. That rear seal is known for leaking.

You can replace the seal, & it will stop leaking. It may start leaking again soon, if the slipyolk guide bushing is badly worn though.

This bushing is in the T-case's tailhousing just ahead of the seal.

I replaced my seal, without knowledge of the bushing. Started leaking about three months later. Too lazy to go back & fix it right, I just top off the case about every three months.:D

A swap to the slipyolk eliminator, will cure this ailment. I have that on my never ending list.

yburn 06-03-2009 08:50 PM

I thought toping off the things that leak is the way to fix it!!!:banghead:

buckshot500 06-03-2009 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yburn (Post 382653)
I thought toping off the things that leak is the way to fix it!!!:banghead:

Well, you are right!!!!

As always though, there's more than one way to skin a goat.:D