Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   2003 tj - stock diff gear ratio? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/2003-tj-stock-diff-gear-ratio-315369.html)

trailhunter 09-28-2013 01:19 AM

2003 tj - stock diff gear ratio?
 
Planning on the infamous combo 33" wheel with 15" procomp steelies with a 3" lift. I have a 2.5L, how can I tell what my gear ratio is? I've read 4.10, it would work

RDaniel2405 09-28-2013 01:30 AM

I believe 4.10's came in the 4cylinder jeeps from the factory. A few years had the 4.56? as an option that was rarely ordered in automatics, and I think that started in 2004?

There should be a metal tag on one of the diff cover bolts.

You can email Jeep your VIN number and get a complete build sheet for you jeep.

trailhunter 09-28-2013 02:15 AM

Thanks so if I have 4.10, no need to regear to support the weight of 33"/15"n steel wheels?

NC Bear 09-28-2013 04:22 AM

you will need to regear.

joshrylant 09-28-2013 05:35 AM

I have a 99' 2.5l been runnin 33x12.50 for a few years now. Had no clue about regearing. Someone wanna key me in on this? Excuse my ignorance...

Rubicon06Va 09-28-2013 05:48 AM

I don't think your stock TJs came with 4.1 diff ratio, more like 3.73. If you have 03-06 Rubicon then they came with 4.1 gears. Now previous owner may have re-geared, it's possible but....?

Big Sarge 09-28-2013 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubicon06Va (Post 4921113)
I don't think your stock TJs came with 4.1 diff ratio, more like 3.73. If you have 03-06 Rubicon then they came with 4.1 gears. Now previous owner may have re-geared, it's possible but....?

You are confusing the 4:1 ratio transfer with the 4.10 gears they are referring to. But you are correct only the Rubicon came stock with the 4:1 transfer IIRC

joshrylant 09-28-2013 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubicon06Va (Post 4921113)
I don't think your stock TJs came with 4.1 diff ratio, more like 3.73. If you have 03-06 Rubicon then they came with 4.1 gears. Now previous owner may have re-geared, it's possible but....?

Not sure if u are addressing me, but the previous owner did nothing. Do u know the ratio i should be running?

Big Sarge 09-28-2013 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshrylant (Post 4921081)
I have a 99' 2.5l been runnin 33x12.50 for a few years now. Had no clue about regearing. Someone wanna key me in on this? Excuse my ignorance...

Not a must, it will just re store some of the pep lost to the tires. Thus putting you back close to stock power (or lack there of)!

Rubicon06Va 09-28-2013 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 4921161)
You are confusing the 4:1 ratio transfer with the 4.10 gears they are referring to. But you are correct only the Rubicon came stock with the 4:1 transfer IIRC

No I don't think so, Rubicon Dana 44 come stock with 4.11:1 axle ie Diff Ring/Pinion gear. Now the stock 03 TJ will come with 3.07:1 gears or 3.73:1 gears. Now Rubicon transfer case is NV241OR heavy duty which is 4:1 ratio. Thanks anyway!

Big Sarge 09-28-2013 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubicon06Va (Post 4921249)
No I don't think so, Rubicon Dana 44 come stock with 4.11:1 axle ie Diff Ring/Pinion gear. Now the stock 03 TJ will come with 3.07:1 gears or 3.73:1 gears. Now Rubicon transfer case is NV241OR heavy duty which is 4:1 ratio. Thanks anyway!

My 98 SE came stock with 4.10 Dana35 rear, so they are out there! and very common. and you're welcome!!!

Rubicon06Va 09-28-2013 06:27 AM

Here you go, this will help all who wants the info:

Axle Gear Ratios

3.07 - 1997-2006

* Standard ratio used with 6 cyl models except the Rubicon

3.55 - 1997 only
* Optional ratio used with 6 cyl

3.73 - 1998-2006
* Optional ratio used with 6 cyl manual and automatic except the Rubicon
* Standard ratio used with 6 cyl 4 speed auto
* Standard ratio used with most 4 cyl automatics
* Standard ratio used with 4 cyl 6 speed
* Standard ratio used with Dana 44 rear axle except the Rubicon

4.10 / 4.11 - 1997-2006
* Standard ratio used with 4 cyl 5 speed manual
* Standard ratio used with Rubicon

4.56 - 2003-2006
* Optional ratio used with 4 cyl automatic

Big Sarge 09-28-2013 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubicon06Va (Post 4921441)
Here you go, this will help all who wants the info:

Axle Gear Ratios

3.07 - 1997-2006
* Standard ratio used with 6 cyl models except the Rubicon

3.55 - 1997 only
* Optional ratio used with 6 cyl

3.73 - 1998-2006
* Optional ratio used with 6 cyl manual and automatic except the Rubicon
* Standard ratio used with 6 cyl 4 speed auto
* Standard ratio used with most 4 cyl automatics
* Standard ratio used with 4 cyl 6 speed
* Standard ratio used with Dana 44 rear axle except the Rubicon

4.10 / 4.11 - 1997-2006
* Standard ratio used with 4 cyl 5 speed manual
* Standard ratio used with Rubicon

4.56 - 2003-2006
* Optional ratio used with 4 cyl automatic

:iamhappy: So I was right!!

joshrylant 09-28-2013 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 4921177)

Not a must, it will just re store some of the pep lost to the tires. Thus putting you back close to stock power (or lack there of)!

How much $$ we talking for the conversion brotha?

Big Sarge 09-28-2013 06:37 AM

Just depends on what you have and what you want to go with. You have to remember that you will have to re gear both the front and rear in order to be able to use your 4wd. you can figure roughly $1000 though. It will really depend on your shop of choice. I reccomend using a reputable shop and have them supply the parts so that you will get a warranty with them. This is not one of those projects that most of us can do on our own.

joshrylant 09-28-2013 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 4921513)
Just depends on what you have and what you want to go with. You have to remember that you will have to re gear both the front and rear in order to be able to use your 4wd. you can figure roughly $1000 though. It will really depend on your shop of choice. I reccomend using a reputable shop and have them supply the parts so that you will get a warranty with them. This is not one of those projects that most of us can do on our own.

$1000.00 with labor? How much would you assume for parts alone?

Big Sarge 09-28-2013 06:42 AM

no that's "roughly". somewhere between $1000 and $1500 for everyhting. Labor and parts

Rubicon06Va 09-28-2013 06:44 AM

That make yours a 4-banger!

joshrylant 09-28-2013 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 4921601)
no that's "roughly". somewhere between $1000 and $1500 for everyhting. Labor and parts

Thanks for the info! What are u rollin on?

Big Sarge 09-28-2013 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubicon06Va (Post 4921625)
That make yours a 4-banger!

you would be correct Sir, and re geared with 4.88's and 35's

joshrylant 09-28-2013 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 4921601)
no that's "roughly". somewhere between $1000 and $1500 for everyhting. Labor and parts

Thanks for all the info! What are u rollin on?

joshrylant 09-28-2013 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubicon06Va (Post 4921625)
That make yours a 4-banger!

I'm rollin that 2.5L too. I was USMC when i bought it, ballin' on a budget. Don't hate! This isn't a big dick competition

joshrylant 09-28-2013 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 4921313)

My 98 SE came stock with 4.10 Dana35 rear, so they are out there! and very common. and you're welcome!!!

So by havin the stock d35, means your gearing is 4.10? I have my rear diff open as we speak, how can i tell?

GingerTJ 09-28-2013 07:56 AM

There's a tag on the pumpkin. 2.5l and 33"s you need 4.88

GingerTJ 09-28-2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshrylant (Post 4921865)

So by havin the stock d35, means your gearing is 4.10? I have my rear diff open as we speak, how can i tell?

Look on the side of the ring gear

trailhunter 09-28-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GingerTJ (Post 4922761)
There's a tag on the pumpkin. 2.5l and 33"s you need 4.88

Thanks!

Owen_TJ 09-28-2013 10:50 AM

2.5L with a manual came with 4.10's

2.5L with an auto came with 3.73's

Best choice for 33's would be 4.88's

/thread

Holton345 09-28-2013 04:31 PM

My 2003 SE came stock with 4.56 gearing for the 2.4L. I think this was an "upgrade" though I have heard that there were *no* upgrade options for the SE, so maybe it was all that was offered in 2003 for the 4 banger? IDK...

Owen_TJ 09-28-2013 08:56 PM

ooo, true...the 2003 switched from the 2.5L to the 2.4L so i apologize for my thread. I dont know the ratios for the 2.4L

RDaniel2405 09-28-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chroniswu (Post 4937065)
This is not one of those projects that most of us can do on our own.http://digitalso.com/9i.jpg

^^ :include:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 AM.