Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Communications and Electronics (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/)
-   -   Whats your Favorite GPS unit (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/whats-your-favorite-gps-unit-31684.html)

lee indy 06-06-2009 09:19 AM

Whats your Favorite GPS unit

Im looking to get one. first time ive ever thougth i might need one. Saudi is complicated and street names mean nothing. same road will have 5 names depending on what block your on.

big sell points.
1. has to work just as good off road as it does on
2. has to have highly detailed maps and be capable of downloading dozens of other maps. I travel alot.
3. i want turn by turn directions and something i can put in my jeep and mark my trails or throw in my backpack so decent battery life is a must.

dude at a electronics shop down town was trying to talk me into a garmin nuvi 7x5 and i like the unit but how is it off road. i looked at a colorado back in the states. and like it but how does it work on the road.

I need help on this one guys. im willing to drop the coin but it needs to be the last one i ever need. I firmly believe in buying the right one the first time so you dont waste time and money

jdhallissey 06-06-2009 09:33 AM

Well here is the problem come next year we my not have GPS for a while ( public not the private sector) The satillites are old military and Nasa ones and they are at there end of working time. They are starting to fail so if they don't get some new birds up gps will be out for a while.

lee indy 06-06-2009 09:40 AM

ehh. thell figure it out. im not worried about it. thell put more up or fix the current ones. if anything thell just get better

lee indy 06-06-2009 09:44 AM

and it has to be car compatible. i dont wanna change batteries alll the time

birdhunter 06-06-2009 11:09 AM

Hey
lee I think you need two different units
sorry,
If you have to have turn by turn and not
just maps
-GARMIN I mAP or Legend etrax
These work great but smaller screen
so not the best for car but have ac/dc

birdhunter 06-06-2009 11:12 AM

I forgot There are some that will give you turn by turn
if you program the points ahead of time

lee indy 06-06-2009 12:12 PM

what about the 550

lee indy 06-06-2009 12:46 PM

oregon 400t

Features:
Automatic routing (turn by turn routing on roads): yes (with optional mapping for detailed roads)
Electronic compass: yes
Touchscreen: yes
Barometric altimeter: yes
Geocaching-friendly: yes (paperless)
Outdoor GPS games: yes (Wherigo only)
Hunt/fish calendar: yes
Sun and moon information: yes
Tide tables: yes
Area calculation: yes
Custom POIs (ability to add additional points of interest): yes
Unit-to-unit transfer (shares data wirelessly with similar units): yes
Picture viewer: yes

birdhunter 06-06-2009 01:08 PM

Garmin I own , the Oregon sounds like it has alot
of useless stuff

I guess when I think handheld
I think smaller the better
and for the car bigger screen better

Kind of like finding the perfect hunting gun

Which ones have the best map coverage
for your area that would be big

Plus memory size

lee indy 06-06-2009 02:00 PM

all the new ones have sd card slots.

i guess what i want doesnt exist. i want something that will get me threw major towns easily and then run off road and map my path using some topo style map. fudge it. i guess ill rely on the good old rises in the east sets in the west like ive been doing since i was a kid

ophidia 06-06-2009 02:14 PM

Gamin Zumo 550

It does a lot, but unless you have a motorcycle it is not worth the extra money. Weatherproof, battery, cigarette lighter, bluetooth (so you can use it as a handsfree), comes with car and motorcycle mounts, can be operated with left hand to keep right hand on throttle, and on and on. When I go on trips and rent a car I use it then too (my Jeep has MyGig w/Nav and Mopar mic so not needed there). I have taken it to Tonto National Forest offroading and amazingly it has some unimproved roads (National Forest routes), compass, altitude.

lee indy 06-06-2009 02:28 PM

how does the factory nav work? can you intreface it with a computer and set routes and download topos?

lee indy 06-06-2009 02:32 PM

id like this one. but not gonna move to Australia to use it
Hema Navigator, On & Off Road GPS

birdhunter 06-06-2009 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lee indy (Post 383804)
all the new ones have sd card slots.

i guess what i want doesnt exist. i want something that will get me threw major towns easily and then run off road and map my path using some topo style map. fudge it. i guess ill rely on the good old rises in the east sets in the west like ive been doing since i was a kid

Card slots yes,
some makes have maps preloaded on cards so you can just swap them
instead of haveing to down load other map

Does any one sell cd of your area or topo of desert
to even download

birdhunter 06-06-2009 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lee indy (Post 383817)
id like this one. But not gonna move to australia to use it
hema navigator, on & off road gps

x2^^

lee indy 06-06-2009 02:53 PM

there out there and very expensive. ill just get one here already loaded and go with new maps when i get back to the states.