Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   SOA Steering Correction. . .Re:Pitman Arm (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/soa-steering-correction-re-pitman-arm-31701.html)

atomicjoe23 06-06-2009 05:58 PM

SOA Steering Correction. . .Re:Pitman Arm

Guys,

I just want to make sure that I'm not heading down the wrong path. . .so stop me if I am. . .

I know that steering correction is a big deal when it comes to a SOA conversion and keeping a YJ safe and reliable. . .

. . .so if I use something like either the JB4x4 or the BTF raised steering brackets then that will help correct the problem and reduce added bumpsteer from the SOA conversion. . .is this correct?

Also, it is my understanding that by using one of these two kits that I won't need a drop pitman arm. . .is this correct? After looking at the brackets (online) and crawling under my YJ this seems to be correct to me.

Thanks again for your help as I get started modifying my YJ!!!

RednekYJ 06-06-2009 06:14 PM

Are you talking about buying a new knuckle for the passenger side? This would be called crossover steering. Yes this is a good way to eliminate bump steer and no you should not need a drop pittman arm. This is a decent upgrade but your still leaving the tie rod down and ready for abuse.

78cj7 06-06-2009 06:53 PM

I believe the rackets he is referring to are mounted onto the knuckle IIRC. And yes this can fix your issue and will not need a drop pitman arm for a standard YJ spring soa conversion, however if you have lift springs you are using you will be adding that amount back into the equation. IMHO you would be better off using a drop pitman until such time as you can upgrade your axles to 44's with high steering or at least do a Chevy outer conversion to your existing axle.

I assume like all of us that do a SOA we end up using larger tires :zap:, once you do this your axle will be marginal at strength and may not even last depending on your right foot. When going to larger tires you will start throwing money at an axle that really isn't made for the weight to torque ratio. You can use a drop pitman arm and if you set up your axle correctly and have good front end parts you should not really experience DW. I had a 10" lifted cj with 38's and a drop pitman arm and no DW :doh: it is all in how you set up your angles of the front axle. Remember the 5-7 degrees you would normally run on a stock axle is changed and you can get by with a bit less especially if using larger tires.

The mounts you are looking at will need a different drag link and possibly a new tie rod IIRC and you will still have the strength issue. Many of us used DP arms with success long before those kits came out. :punk:

atomicjoe23 06-06-2009 07:07 PM

Thanks for the info guys. . .helps me out, but brings up more to think about. . .I think I'm gonna stop posting individual questions and I'm just gonna post up my SOA Conversion plan and let you guys critique it. . .

Thanks again!!!

atomicjoe23 06-06-2009 07:25 PM

. . .but before I do that I do need some more clarification. . .

1)What does IIRC mean???

2) What does DW stand for???

3) If I run a drop pitman arm instead of one of these kits. . .what else do I need to do to correct the steering? With regards to the tie rod and drag link???

4) I haven't heard of this Chevy outer conversion before. . .I'll do a search, but can you give me just a quick teaser description in the meantime???

I am comfortable fabricating parts, I am one quarter away from completing my Welding Technology ATA so I am comfortable with all types of welding and I will also be completing my Technical Design ATA as well. . .3 of my buddies and I built a single seat race buggy from scratch as well. . .so I'm not afraid of making my own parts. . .right now I'm researching SOA conversion and comparing all of the available parts (that I know of) to each other and to what it would cost me to fab my own parts. . .

Yes we will be putting bigger tires on, but I believe I am going to limit them to 33's based on my research. . .I will be upgrading the axles before I go to anything larger. . .the D30/D35 will stay put for this initial go round just because the YJ doesn't see heavy off-road use at the moment and right now this is just to lift the YJ and clear bigger tires more than anything else. . .I am in the process of coming up with something pretty cool right now for when I am ready to go hardcore with this rig. . .

78cj7 06-06-2009 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atomicjoe23 (Post 383912)
. . .but before I do that I do need some more clarification. . .

1)What does IIRC mean??? If I recall

2) What does DW stand for???Death Wobble

3) If I run a drop pitman arm instead of one of these kits. . .what else do I need to do to correct the steering? With regards to the tie rod and drag link???A tie rod flip kit should be enough you can get it from Gopferit offroad I believe it is 50 or less

4) I haven't heard of this Chevy outer conversion before. . .I'll do a search, but can you give me just a quick teaser description in the meantime???
Putting a chevy outer knuckle onto a dana 30 inner knuckle then you can use chevy parts/arms

I am comfortable fabricating parts, I am one quarter away from completing my Welding Technology ATA so I am comfortable with all types of welding and I will also be completing my Technical Design ATA as well. . .3 of my buddies and I built a single seat race buggy from scratch as well. . .so I'm not afraid of making my own parts. . .right now I'm researching SOA conversion and comparing all of the available parts (that I know of) to each other and to what it would cost me to fab my own parts. . .
Rubicon makes a pretty complete kit for the SOA look it up it will help speed up your conversion

Yes we will be putting bigger tires on, but I believe I am going to limit them to 33's based on my research. . .I will be upgrading the axles before I go to anything larger. . .the D30/D35 will stay put for this initial go round just because the YJ doesn't see heavy off-road use at the moment and right now this is just to lift the YJ and clear bigger tires more than anything else. . .I am in the process of coming up with something pretty cool right now for when I am ready to go hardcore with this rig. . .

:punk:

atomicjoe23 06-06-2009 10:58 PM

Thanks for answering my questions 78CJ7. . .

. . .sounds like the tie-rod flip kit might be less work and cheaper than the Chevy outer knuckle conversion. . .I will look into it. . .

. . .the RE SOA kit is what I was planning on using as a basis for my SOA conversion. . .cheaper to buy it as a kit and fill in the gaps than it is to buy it separate and I was gonna end up using a lot of there parts as well. . .my goal is to do the SOA and keep the cost the same or less than what a lift kit would cost (not including shocks since most of the kits don't include shocks anyway). . .

Thanks again!

mikes139 06-06-2009 11:58 PM

I bought the Rubicon Express SOA springs and pieced the remainder of it together as I went along and It seemed to work good for me. I'm running full width Dana 44 in the front with high steer arms so that part will be different. You can use a less exspensive stock Jeep Cherokee pitman arm instead of a aftermarket drop pitman arm if one is needed.

jpdocdave 06-08-2009 06:30 PM

didn't read the whole thread. i have made the drag links out of dom tubing, w/ a small z bend in it, with gussets welded in on the bends. unbreakable

atomicjoe23 06-08-2009 06:35 PM

Thanks for the input guys!!!