Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Door doesn't line up (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/door-doesnt-line-up-317369.html)

TMac7373 09-29-2013 11:10 AM

Door doesn't line up
 
2 Attachment(s)
Hey, after 13 years I finally got back into a wrangler. I just bought a 98 6cyl 5 speed. I'm eager to put a lot of work into it. The hard top and full doors that came on it were not original. The passenger door has washers on the hinge to make it line up with the latch. Why wouldn't the door line up? anyone know where I can maybe get spacers that won't fall off when I remove the door? everything looks ok, doesn't look like it was in an accident. Also not sure why the bolt above the door is sheared off. anyone have a guess?

ChasUGC 09-29-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMac7373 (Post 4946881)
Why wouldn't the door line up?

This is why.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMac7373 (Post 4946881)
The hard top and full doors that came on it were not original.

Therefore, they have to be properly aligned. This is normally done by the factory. It is always a bear afterwards, much like you are finding out now.
Take it to a Body Shop and get friendly, they may give you some clues. I'm still working on that part myself, with my body shop. I have a very slight door alignment problem caused by the dealership that eats a corner of my weatherstripping. I've had it for 16 years now.

Jerry Bransford 09-29-2013 11:40 AM

The doors are easily aligned when done correctly. Simply loosen the three torx-head bolts per hinge that thread into the door-side of the hinge (NOT the bolts that thread into the body) & move the door around until it is centered in the opening. I had to do this when I bought new full-steel doors years ago.

The reason you only loosen the hinge bolts threaded into the doors is because they actually thread into two moving plates located behind the door's sheet metal. They are able to move around to allow for the door to be properly aligned in the opening. Shut the door, latch it fully, loosen the bolts threaded into the door, and use a non-marring tool in the door gaps to move the door around until it is centered. Then tighten the hinge bolts.

Roadblock 09-30-2013 03:49 PM

i have this problem as well, need to look into it and try aligning

ChasUGC 09-30-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 4947465)
The doors are easily aligned when done correctly. Simply loosen the three torx-head bolts per hinge that thread into the door-side of the hinge (NOT the bolts that thread into the body) & move the door around until it is centered in the opening. I had to do this when I bought new full-steel doors years ago.

The reason you only loosen the hinge bolts threaded into the doors is because they actually thread into two moving plates located behind the door's sheet metal. They are able to move around to allow for the door to be properly aligned in the opening. Shut the door, latch it fully, loosen the bolts threaded into the door, and use a non-marring tool in the door gaps to move the door around until it is centered. Then tighten the hinge bolts.

Thanks for the info. The reason I assumed it was difficult is because the dealership didn't get it right, even after I had them replace the weatherstripping under warranty, and they told me that they had adjusted my door alignment. It still destroys a corner of the weatherstripping and the dealership basically refused to replace it again.

When I first got my Jeep from them, it didn't have this problem. But, after I had them put the light bar on it, after a couple of months of owning it, it had that problem, and it chewed up my weatherstripping. It looks like someone actually tried to rip my door panel off with their hands, because the metal has tears on both top corners inside the door. Or, maybe they replaced my door with another one that was damaged, but was the exact same color. Its hard to figure out how this slight alignment problem happened because my door is totally undamaged, disregarding those tears.:pullinghair:

ChasUGC 09-30-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 4947465)
The doors are easily aligned when done correctly. Simply loosen the three torx-head bolts per hinge that thread into the door-side of the hinge (NOT the bolts that thread into the body)

Are you talking about the three bolts on the outside of the door, where the hinge connects?

I was afraid to move that because I assumed that they were painted over, and the bare metal would show if I moved them.

1jeeplvr 09-30-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 4947465)
The doors are easily aligned when done correctly. Simply loosen the three torx-head bolts per hinge that thread into the door-side of the hinge (NOT the bolts that thread into the body) & move the door around until it is centered in the opening. I had to do this when I bought new full-steel doors years ago.

The reason you only loosen the hinge bolts threaded into the doors is because they actually thread into two moving plates located behind the door's sheet metal. They are able to move around to allow for the door to be properly aligned in the opening. Shut the door, latch it fully, loosen the bolts threaded into the door, and use a non-marring tool in the door gaps to move the door around until it is centered. Then tighten the hinge bolts.

Did you say "simply" loosen??:jawdrop:

Jerry Bransford 09-30-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChasUGC (Post 4982737)
Are you talking about the three bolts on the outside of the door, where the hinge connects?

I was afraid to move that because I assumed that they were painted over, and the bare metal would show if I moved them.

Yes, loosen the three bolts on the door-side of the hinge. Don't touch the bolts on the tub side of the hinge. 6 bolts total, two hinges. Yep you'll likely have some bare metal showing but if you want your doors lined up properly, that's the price. A little dab of touchup paint from the dealer will take care of that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jeeplvr (Post 4983825)
Did you say "simply" loosen??:jawdrop:

Hah yeah I hear you, those bolts can sometimes be a royal PITA to loosen or remove. Sometimes heat is needed to loosen them up. They were fairly easily loosened on my first TJ but they were a PITA on my present TJ.

ChasUGC 10-01-2013 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 4986969)
Yes, loosen the three bolts on the door-side of the hinge. Don't touch the bolts on the tub side of the hinge. 6 bolts total, two hinges. Yep you'll likely have some bare metal showing but if you want your doors lined up properly, that's the price. A little dab of touchup paint from the dealer will take care of that.

Hah yeah I hear you, those bolts can sometimes be a royal PITA to loosen or remove. Sometimes heat is needed to loosen them up. They were fairly easily loosened on my first TJ but they were a PITA on my present TJ.

Thanks much for the info.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 AM.