Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   i cant get my lower ball joint out (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/i-cant-get-my-lower-ball-joint-out-32018.html)

neo 06-13-2009 08:41 PM

i cant get my lower ball joint out

today i started to change my ball joints out.after i got the brake caliper out of the way and the tie rod seperated,next i removed the ball jpoint nuts,i sperated the and removed the steering knuckle no problem,upper ball joint pressed out easily.i cant get the loewr ball joint to press out.itried tapping it
out with a 4 lb hammer.the lower ball joint was totally bad on the passenger side,that what was causing my death wobble,i am letting it soak over night with pb blaster.tommorrow iwill try heating it up.this is a royal pain,please help.:cool:neo

1BLKJP 06-14-2009 02:11 AM

You are on the right trac with heating up the outer knuckle to help it expand a little.

I don't know if you have a compressor and air tools, but if you do then the air hammer and the chizzle bit will help considerably also.

jpdocdave 06-14-2009 09:15 AM

what about a ball joint press? local parts stores should loan it out.

neo 06-14-2009 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpdocdave (Post 387231)
what about a ball joint press? local parts stores should loan it out.

i am using a ball joint press.i am going to get a propane torch this morning:cool:neo

KBR97 06-14-2009 10:18 AM

get MAP gas, it burns hotter than propane. Yellow can.

tksnow 06-14-2009 11:22 PM

I would reccomend heating it also. Just put upper and lower on mine, i ran into a problem putting the upper in, there was not attachment big enough for the upper joint in the press kit, ended up grinding out the inside of a huge crome socket and using that. you may run into the same problem.

neo 06-15-2009 01:12 AM

it came out i heated it and banged with a 4 lb hammer to no avail.how i got it out i had my son hold the steel rod then i babanged it with both hands,the new ones went pretty easy,i put the new ball joints in the freezer.then i heated the axle ends then pressed the new cold ball joint in.i will do the other side next week:cool:neo

tksnow 06-15-2009 12:25 PM

awessome, good to hear you didnt have any more problems

neo 06-15-2009 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tksnow (Post 387639)
awessome, good to hear you didnt have any more problems

yeah but i still have to do the other side:Dbut now that i have done one side i now the experience to do the other side with more confidance,experince is a great teacher.my jeep still wobbles but the lowr ball joint on the other side is weak too.i am changing both uppers and lowers on the drivers side like i did on the passenger side:cool:neo

tksnow 06-15-2009 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neo (Post 387688)
yeah but i still have to do the other side:Dbut now that i have done one side i now the experience to do the other side with more confidance,experince is a great teacher.my jeep still wobbles but the lowr ball joint on the other side is weak too.i am changing both uppers and lowers on the drivers side like i did on the passenger side:cool:neo

Good luck, it is a great teacher, once i finished my drivers side it seemed to fly buy and i put in wheel bearings along with it.