Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Bds or ome (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/bds-or-ome-320969.html)

NickyVswole 10-01-2013 10:43 AM

Bds or ome
 
I'm Stuck on the fence between the ome 2.5 and the bds 3" lifts. I'm wanting to combine a jks bl and Mml lift with these also.
Would it work with the bds kit? I'm trying to avoid a tc drop right now n a sye and shaft is in the future. I'm pulling the trigger on one of these lifts today and wanted a few opinions/suggestions. Thanks

PStov98TJ 10-01-2013 02:24 PM

The bl and mml will work with either. The OME kit is a little nice in my opinion. It offers a wider range of spring rates and their shocks are better quality. If you've got the cash, get the OME stuff.

530ktm 10-01-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PStov98TJ (Post 5006457)
The bl and mml will work with either. The OME kit is a little nice in my opinion. It offers a wider range of spring rates and their shocks are better quality. If you've got the cash, get the OME stuff.

you can't go wrong with OME.

jquinn83 10-01-2013 03:31 PM

I just got a 2" OME kit with a 1.25" JKS BL and I like it a lot. I got the Heavy Duty because I plan on hanging a bunch of mods on it later.

Ironhead Jed 10-01-2013 03:34 PM

absolutely no complaints with the bds springs. both companies are highly regarded

Dextreme 10-01-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickyVswole (Post 5001977)
I'm Stuck on the fence between the ome 2.5 and the bds 3" lifts. I'm wanting to combine a jks bl and Mml lift with these also.
Would it work with the bds kit? I'm trying to avoid a tc drop right now n a sye and shaft is in the future. I'm pulling the trigger on one of these lifts today and wanted a few opinions/suggestions. Thanks


What your seeking is exactly why many of have bought the Zone Combo kit. (Zone and BDS have the same parent company). Nothing wrong with what you are looking at..but this kit is a great option, cost effective, and works together nicely.

97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ - Zone Offroad 4-1/2" Combo Lift Kit J25/J26

IslandTJ 10-01-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jquinn83 (Post 5008129)
I just got a 2" OME kit with a 1.25" JKS BL and I like it a lot. I got the Heavy Duty because I plan on hanging a bunch of mods on it later.

x2

Ironhead Jed 10-01-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dextreme (Post 5010489)
What your seeking is exactly why many of have bought the Zone Combo kit. (Zone and BDS have the same parent company). Nothing wrong with what you are looking at..but this kit is a great option, cost effective, and works together nicely.

did zone start using bds springs?

Dextreme 10-01-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhead Jed (Post 5010697)
did zone start using bds springs?

Or maybe BDS is using Zone springs. LOL What I am saying both BDS and ZONE get there springs from the same Parent company. I do not know if they are the same "exact springs" but Zone seems to have a similar quality to BDS...but they do have differing warrantys, probably why BDS cost slightly more.

Ironhead Jed 10-01-2013 05:42 PM

bds was making springs long before the parent company bought either one. last i checked, which was about a year ago, they were not using the same springs.

NJO 10-01-2013 05:56 PM

BDS and Zone springs have exact same specs.....same winds, same diameter same 158lb/200lb ratings. That being said I'd take the OME springs/kit.

Ironhead Jed 10-01-2013 06:49 PM

at roughly half the price, i opted for BDS

MTjeepr 10-01-2013 07:01 PM

I have been running a bds 2" since may and couldn't be happier.

NickyVswole 10-01-2013 08:09 PM

I'm leaning towards the bds 3 in and getting a jks adjustable trackbar. It adds up to a few hundred less than ome ultimate lift.

Ironhead Jed 10-01-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickyVswole (Post 5014785)
I'm leaning towards the bds 3 in and getting a jks adjustable trackbar. It adds up to a few hundred less than ome ultimate lift.

Look at the mc trackbar as well. Imo its the best on the market and its priced right

NickyVswole 10-01-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhead Jed (Post 5014937)
Look at the mc trackbar as well. Imo its the best on the market and its priced right


Will do. Are you running it?

Ironhead Jed 10-02-2013 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickyVswole (Post 5019873)

Will do. Are you running it?

Yes, its as heavy duty as needed and offers the best clearances possible

NJO 10-02-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhead Jed (Post 5012577)
at roughly half the price, i opted for BDS

That's not entirely accurate. The "BDS" kit just includes 4 springs and 4 shocks.

The OME kit includes 4 springs(from which you can choose from 2-3 differing rates to dial in properly to your vehicle and ride comfort etc)4 shocks(again with 2 different options on tune), a rear TB relocation bracket, rear bumpstops and steering stabilizer.

Also of note the BDS shocks require extra bumpstopping due to longer compressed length something you have to buy front and rear and you still have to buy a rear TB relocation bracket. Not to mention that the OME springs have an A and B side spring for both front and back to perfectly level out your vehicle since the weight from side to side is not a perfect 50/50 split.

And since you only have one spring rate to choose from with BDS(158lb front/200lb rear)your going to be potentially stuck with a ride that's much stiffer than stock whether you want it or not, regardless of vehicles overall weight. I chose OME 2933/2942's(Which is equivalent to the stock Rubicon auto w/dual top option LJ which has 140lb/160lb F/R springs) on a HEAVY LJ which has aftermarket fenders, side armor, heavy spare, aftermarket front/rear bumpers, winch, full under armor, full heavy DOM congo rack and dual tops as well. When its just me in the vehicle the ride is still just a tad stiff(specifically the rear). I have a set of OME 2949's as well which I originally tried in the rear(which are rated at 216lb.....very similar to the BDS rear springs) and it was just obnoxiously stiff all around.

I am picky about ride quality. I like my suspension to fully absorb the road imperfections, not transmit it to the frame and body. Ive ridden in a few TJ's that featured the Zone/BDS springs and shocks, to me that's a poor quality ride that is way too stiff. People who actually have experience with BOTH OME and BDS/Zone who are picky on ride quality will also state the same thing. So yes OME is a bit more expensive, but the old saying holds true.........you get what you pay for. The OME is a more complete kit and gives you multiple OPTIONS to choose from. To me that in itself is highly worth the extra couple hundred bucks.

BDS makes a good set of springs no doubt, but definitely no better than OME and with 0 options to choose from in terms of spring rates. BDS's entry level shocks are OK monotubes, but nothing to write home about. OME shocks aren't super spectacular either, but they have better compressed lengths and give you 2 options to choose from when matching up their springs with the standard nitrochargers and the sports.

NJO 10-02-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhead Jed (Post 5025865)
Yes, its as heavy duty as needed and offers the best clearances possible

Agree MC's TB is king when it comes to clearance. Love mine. Price is RIGHT.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 PM.